4 days around Cairns questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like your feedback on spending 4 days, 4 nights of our honey moon starting Jan 8th onwards in Cairns/PD area.

Does the below itinerary look reasonable?
I am not sure if the Daintree Air trip to Lizard Island is worth it ($500), are there any other options or activities to do instead?

Which palce is recommended for accomodation in Palm Cove between? Looking for something good near the beach with ocean views. Currently considering Angsana, Sea Temple, Oasis, Sebel Reef House.

I reviewed earlier related threads to come up with this itinerary but want to check if am not missing something obvious. Any suggestions greatly welcome

Day 1 - Arrive in Cairns afternoon, Stay in Palm Cove (base for rest of trip)
Go to Kuranda Skyrail & vicinity
Day 2 - GBR trip (Wavelength)
Day 3 - Daintree Tour (Pete Baxendell)
Day 4 - Another GBR Trip? Daintree Air Lizard Island trip? Or Relax
Day 5 - Fly out of Cairns in the morning

Thanks.
-Sumeet
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Your itinerary is nearly identical what we did last month. We arrived on a Friday afternoon, spent Saturday on a Wavelength trip and Sunday with Pete Baxendell.

We left Monday open in case poor weather forced us to postpone either of the first two trips. We figured we could always schedule something for that day once we arrived in PD (we stayed there instead of Cairns or Palm Cove).

Ended up leaving that day open and just relaxed.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 07:13 AM

You arrive on the afternoon and want to do the Kuranda Skyrail? Won't give you much time it seems...
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks midwestcoup and christellefy:

Does anyone if it is worth $500 plane trip (Daintree Air) to Lizard island? How does it compare to snorkelling off Wavelength?

Is Palm Cove a better base or PD? or should split 4 days between 2 locations. they could be Palm Cove, PD or a lodge in Daintree?

christellefy: we will arrive by noon. Will rest of day be sufficient for skyrail and related areas? I read somewhere kuranda skyrail can be done 2 hours.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 09:05 PM

Buddy, you can't really compare Lizard day trip Wavelength. Lizard is 270kms north east of Cairns, so you're also experiencing a very scenic reef and rainforest flight which accounts for a lot of the cost difference. It is expensive, but in my opinion anyway, worth the money.

With only 4 days I wouldn't waste time changing accommodation - Palm Cove is closer to Skyrail (more of this later) and convenient for reef trips out of Cairns, although most Port Douglas operators offer pickups. Its about 50 mins between Palm Cove and Port Douglas, so Port Douglas is that much closer to Daintree.

You need to allow 1 and a half hours for Skyrail, one way (and about 15 minutes to get there from Palm Cove). A little shorter for the return as you will have already stopped at the two stations on the way up. The last Skyrail leaves Kuranda at 3.45pm, the last train leaves at 3.30pm. So you can see there'd be virtually no time in Kuranda, and that's assuming that your flight is on time.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 06:29 AM

As Pat said, I'd pick one place and go with it.

I guess the case I'd make for PD is that you can walk to Wavelength from many accomodations and it's a bit closer to Daintree, which would make your trip to/from there with Baxendell a bit easier.

But I'm sure there's a lot to be said for Palm Cove as well.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 02:59 PM
dkw

My husband and i took the Lizard Island day trip with Daintree Air last September. It is well worth the money!! Greg, the owner/pilot/guide will show you the reef like no one else can. The ride there and back gives you a unique view of the reef and rainforest. The snorkeling is superb. We saw beautiful coral, fish, 6' tall clams, a shark, rays, sea turtles and so much more! At Lizard you can snorkel right off the beach. The whole operation is first class all the way. It was THE highlight of our highlight filled 3 week trip around Australia!!

BTW, we stayed at the Sebel Reef in Palm Cove for three nights and were completely satisfied with our room, the restaurant and the attention given by all the staff members.

When we return to the area we will most assuredly stay again at the Sebel Reef and also go back to Lizard Island with Greg!!

Hope this helps you with your decision!

DKW
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all - that does confirm the Daintree would be good. I am now looking for Palm Cove accomodations. Any ideas where to stay on Jan 5th and 6th? I am unable to get accomodation in Angsana, Sebel or Sea Temple. Any other of the likes?

I reach Cairns on Jan 5th 9:40 pm
I managed to get Sebel Reef House for Jan 7, 8, 9. But dont know what to do for Jan 5th and Jan 6th night.

Any other similar resort I can try in?

OR

Should I stay in PD 2 night and last 3 nights in Palm Cove? Don't know if there is a way to get from Cairns to PD in the night. Sounds too much travelling also.

OR

Maybe I can stay night of arrival in Cairns, next night in some place in PD or Palm Cove, last 3 nights in Palm Cove.

Thanks all for feedback
Buddy