3 days in Adelaide

Nov 13th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

3 days in Adelaide

Hi
We will be in Adelaide 14 to 17 Jan. We will have been in Mandarin Oriental in Singapore - very 5 star!! We would like to stay somewhere nice in centralish Adelaide so we can explore city for 3 days. Any recommendations? Just 2 of us.

Many thanks
Masha
Nov 13th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Not wishing to bag Adelaide but you're 5-star choices are limited. In my opinion the best hotel in town is the Hyatt Regency on North Tce. The Hilton is quite good as well. Beyond that you're probably down to 4 to 4.5 stars. Cheers, Pumblechook
Nov 14th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Hi Pumblechook
Sorry, crossed wires - I mentioned M.O. to show that we (poor Brits!) will have had our bit of luxury en route and now want to get back to reality, back in centre of a city we have never visited in Australia! We are not habitual 5 starrers!!
We just want somewhere nice and pleasant ( clean, nice atmosphere) in a central location so that we can explore Adelaide!
We don't mind a hotel proper or apartment hotel.

(Just read thread about media lang with fascination - am a language person also)

Masha
Nov 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Hi Masha. Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I stay in Adelaide a fair bit for work and have tried most of the hotels along North Tce: the Hyatt Regency, the Stamford Plaza, the Mercure and the Sebel Playford. They're all OK - clean, full-service and not overly expensive. My favourite is the Sebel Playford. It would be 4-stars and you should be able to get a room for under $200 AUD per night.
A little further along North Tce there are two Oaks Apartment buildings - the Horizon and the Embassy. These are both modern and reasonably priced serviced apartment buildings. I think they regularly offer pretty good deals. Check wotif.com or lastminute.com.au.
North Tce is a good street to stay on in Adelaide. It's on the edge of the CBD but is also just over the road from the river and the beautiful parks that surround it. Cheers, P'chook.
Nov 14th, 2007, 02:17 PM

If you are prepared to / want a self contained apartment but where you can go and get breakfast I highly recommend The Medina Grand Treasury .It is very stylish in a beautiful old building in the middle of town close to all attractions icluding a supermarket and the Central Market .I had a suite with LCD TV x 2 ,separate sleeping / living areas , laundry , kitchen , a balcony and beautiful furniture .Lovely public areas , near the tram to Glenelg .
Nov 19th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys,

I have looked at all the suggestions and they all look lovely. Will probably go for the Oaks option - have seen Oaks Horizon on Wotif for 143 AUD. Seemed a good price.

Thanks for the help.

Masha
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:29 PM

Hi Masha, from the city you can (as JohnFitz suggested) catch the tram to Glenelg Beach and surrounds. It will likely be very hot here in January (high 20s through to 42 degrees C in the day). You may wish to book some accommodation soon as the Tour Downunder pro-cycling race is on from 20-27 January and teams are likely to be here a week or so in advance to aclimatise and train. Other day trips (requiring a car) include: Victor Harbour (south), McLaren Vale wine region (south) and Barossa Valley wine region (north).

The following website may be able to provide more information on what to do and see in Adelaide:

http://www.sacentral.sa.gov.au/site/...?u=57&cat=4873
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Speckles
I have saved the link. Thanks also for info re cyclers (ists?)
Last time we came to visit my son it was 45+ in NSW on New Years Eve - BUT we have had a non-existent summer here in Europe so I am looking forward to some sun. Very excited to visit Adelaide, a new city for us.
Many thanks.
Masha