2500 photos

Mar 8th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

2500 photos

Seventeen days....2500 photos... Twelve airplane flights... So much to see... so little time.

Ah, well, the most important thing Iíve learned in the few weeks Iíve been writing and reading on this board is do not post ANYTHING negative. Therefore, I shall only discuss the things I liked and hopefully not have any typos or misspellings.

Overall, had a great time tasting the foods. Loved the kangaroo, Mortan Bay Bugs, calamari rings, and desserts.
Tasted Vegemite and expected not to like it. It was better than I thought; although a little salty.

I was really impressed with the breads - both quality and variety - served at hotel breakfasts.
Noticed a lot of baked beans and tomato halves on brekky menus. Our group commented on this.

Found Brekky Juice that I really liked in Fiji. Maybe it was in other places, too, but I didnít buy it until then.

The Light and Tasty Berry cereal was great. Iíve already commented about this on a NZ posting so wonít rehash it here.

Qantas puts their snacks in a cool bag with a draw string. We saved ours and they came in handy later. Very durable. They also had another bag on a different flight that was neat.

Cairns area:
The Medical Centre at Clifton Beach has a great staff. Everyone was very personable and they accept walk-ins.

I wish we could have stayed longer. Weren't there on a weekend for Rusty's... Missed the night markets and the botanical gardens much to my disappointment. This was due to the fact our hotel was at Palm Cove.

(Also, didnít get to the part of AU where proteas and S. peas are grown and seeing them were one of my reasons for wanting to visit.)

Ate at Red Ochre one night and loved it. Had barramundi and salmon. Service was excellent. Tried the wattle seed on bread here.

Also ate at a cool place in Palm Cove. The Mortan Bay Bugs and the service was great. Canít remember the name of the place. The chef fixed a special plate of bugs for us.

Tides were rough due to blustery winds on the boat ride to Green Island. The crew said it was like an extreme sport that day and I loved it. Several people on the boat got sick but I thought the ride was terrific. (Decided it was probably similar to a Shotover Jetboat ride so didnít do those.)

Loved seeing the tropical plants used for tribal medicine and seeing/hearing a didjieridoo.

Sydney - Darling Harbour. Went completely around the restaurants there examining menus and settled on the Blue Fish Restaurant. I loved the Seafood Marinara Boat Platter because I got to taste a wide variety of seafood. Loved everything in it except maybe not the octopus but it was fun tasting it.

Tour of the Opera House was interesting. Dinner was excellent and creatively arranged. The two person team serving the food did an outstanding job. Singers had great voices.

Cruise around the bay / harbour was fun and informative. So was a tour of the city.

Got lost twice trying to find La Renaissance Cafe Patisserie. Once it was our fault and once it was the bus driverís fault. Art cake portions were smaller than I expected but I was still delighted to have been able to taste their wonderful creations.
It would be fun to stay longer in Sydney and go here each day to taste a different creation.

By now, youíre thinking I gained a lot of weight with all this food tasting. I actually lost about five pounds... probably because of all the walking and running from place to place.

Intrigued by Australian money. Polymer money is so durable and the bills are so attractively designed.
Was interested that a television station was doing a survey about AU and NZ using the same currency.

One New Zealander to whom I mentioned this was against it because they are two separate countries. Other Kiwis who travel between the two countries thought this might be a good idea especially since the sizes on the one and two dollar coins are reversed and therefore can be confusing to some people.

Petting a koala, several kangaroos and a wombat at the zoo was a fantastic experience for this animal lover.

Melbourne: Loved the architecture especially the wrought iron railings within the city. Streets were crowded with people. This was my husband's favorite AU city.

Federation Square was different than I expected and there were so many people that it seemed maze-like to me.

Loved the sculptures around town. Wish I could have found and photographed every single one.

New Zealand
This isnít a place I would have thought to visit on my own but I am so glad we went. I loved it. Great scenery.

Wish I could have stopped every other kilometre to take photographs.

The only time it rained was when we were going to Milford Sound and that generated waterfalls from the mountains. What a thrilling special treat to see so many. Got to see seals and dolphins on the cruise around the fiords.

Mt. Cook Park... Awesome place. Clear day and we got to see a cloudless Mt. Cook. Loved the statue of Sir Edmund.

Stopped for two sheep musters.

Amazed to learn deer are raised in fenced areas in NZ.

Christchurch - Art museum building is beautiful with the late afternoon sky reflecting on it. Didnít have time to go inside, however.

Got to photograph a rainbow over the church beside the chalice sculpture.

Found the Six Chairs Missing Restaurant but didnít have time to eat there... It was 7 am so it was closed but this is on a delightful street with other unique stores.
Also found Sticky Fingers Restaurant but didnít get to eat there.

Gorgeous park and river. It would have been fun to have had time to go punting there.

Queenstown - Another beautiful town.
Gondola ride to Skyline Restaurant was fun. Buffet there was great.

Some hotels provide free bus passes into town. Ours did but met some folks whose hotel didnít and in their case a taxi shared by five would have been cheaper than the bus.

Lots of stops at small shops. The Tin Shed (think it was on the way to Milford Sound) was one place several in our group wanted to go back to.

I thought DF Souvenirs in Queenstown had a bigger selection than their store in Christchurch. Some hotels provide their customers with discount coupons and there are travel brochures with coupons in them.

Loved the Safari of the Rings with Nomad Safaris. Drivers were informative and friendly. Great views from places we would other wise not gotten to see.

Arrowtown: Main street is well worth a stop.

Fascinated with the river rocks, lakes, mountains and trees. Great photo opportunities. I could easily move to South Island.

Thanks to the folks who mentioned L&P Fizzy on this board, I bought some. Loved it. Liked the regular better than the dry.

Had Leek Soup in either NZ or Fiji. That is something Iíve avoided at home but found it quite delicious when I tasted it. Sort of like Lime Soup in Mexico. Not something Iíd normally taste but it was chosen by a host and I loved it.

Fiji:
After the long flight over, this stopping off place on the return trip was divine.

Catamaran ride was awesome. My husband enjoyed kayaking but I didnít get to go.

Sunset cruise was delightful. Great food.

This is probably more than you want to read so Iíll sign off and start sorting / organizing the photos.

By the way, lots of places to offload digital cameras onto CD's in AU and NZ.

Cheers and thanks to all of you who gave me information a while back.
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

P.S. Queen Vic Market in Melbourne was really cool.
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:13 PM
ned

The one and two dollar coins are a killer. I can never get that right!! Glad you had a great trip
Mar 9th, 2005, 12:10 AM

The great thing about $1 and $2 coins is that you can fossick around in your pocket and find $15 or even $20 when you thought you had only spare change. In the US you dive into your fat wallet and discover that the small fortune you thought you had adds up to $15 or $20.
Mar 9th, 2005, 12:12 AM

PS, thanks for the good trip report, Snazzy - not everyone thinks to do that (and I'm still stuffing around over my China report from last October...)
Mar 9th, 2005, 04:01 AM

Hi Snaz, good trip report, but please don't be concerned about negative comments, they're mostly taken in good humour, even if some answers don't reflect it. There are some over-sensitive folk anywhere that will take umbrage over just about anything. So let us know what you didn't like, it is of interest, most of us are mature enough not to get excited over a bit of criticism.
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

P.S.S. Found the nipple warmers, belly button things... in lots of NZ stores but didn't buy any. They were mentioned by several on the boards.

I found the kiwi toys with the "kiwi sound" interesting.

Women's fashions in Melbourne seemed different than the ones in Sydney... Is this just my imagination or due to my limited time and area in each city?

Found it interesting that a Target Store in Melbourne was on more than one level. I didn't get to a Target last fall/winter but will be curious to see if the clothing sold in AU this fall will be similar to that sold in US next fall... Or, were they sold last fall here...? Or are they different...?

Would you describe Melbourne fashion as a blend of Asian and European? Or is it strickly Australian?
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:13 AM

Snazzy, informative and interesting post. where did you stay in palm cove and how was it there? i will be there in late april. i am booked at sea temple any info appreciated.
Mar 9th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Novotel. (spelling?)
Very nice.

Great breakfast buffet.
Mar 9th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Tim Tams... Loved them...
Several had mentioned to try them; otherwise, I probably wouldn't have because I don't eat a lot of cookies.
Found the supermarket under the train station and it had a large variety. Selected the dark chocolate kind.
Wish I'd brought some home.
Mar 9th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Look all over for Smith's Bush Breakfast and Dick's True Blue Chest Rub. Couldn't find them.
Clerks didn't seem to have heard of them before.
One of the ladies with us bought Wheat Bix to bring back. She loved it.
Neil, decided we have muesli in States but I don't buy it. I think it was what was offered to be put on yoghurt... Is that how you folks spell yogurt? I remember it had an "h" in it that we don't have in our spelling.
Mar 9th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Pat, I just went back through the thread and couldn't find any negative posts - maybe they were deleted?

Snazzy, Target in Australia isn't the same company as the US one - they just use the name. Likewise K-Mart (and Woolworths).

Melbourne has always considered itself to exhibit better dress sense than Sydney, and I think there may be some truth in that.

I'm not a big fan of muesli myself, but then I don't eat a lot of things that are good for me.