20 days in Australia

Jun 11th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

20 days in Australia

we are taking a teip to Australia in March next year. 4 adults, first time for all of us (and a long time dream for me).
I know it's veeery early but I enjoy the planning part and was hoping for some feedback.
our current plan basically includes Sydney (with day trip to Blue Mountains), Tasmania, Melbourne and GOR.
so far we're thinking 4 days in Sydney+1 day BM.
6 days Tasmania
3 days Melbourne
4 days GOR.

that leaves us with 2 days left. at first we thought of adding a day to Sydney and a day to Melbourne but now I'm thinking is might be a bit much and unnecessary. we prefer not adding anything that requires more flying.
if it was up to me, I would just add this time in Tasmania, but not sure the other 3 will agree. what do you think? we're renting a car only for the Tasmania and GOR sections.
Jun 11th, 2019, 02:36 PM

Are those full days littlerunaway, as in 20 full days on the ground or does it include travel time to/from OZ? And where are you traveling from?

Knowing this will help us help you.
Jun 11th, 2019, 03:03 PM

Another alternative would be to drive from Sydney to Melbourne and have a couple of nights in Canberra on the way.
Jun 11th, 2019, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Melnq8 View Post
Are those full days littlerunaway, as in 20 full days on the ground or does it include travel time to/from OZ? And where are you traveling from?

Knowing this will help us help you.
these are full 20 days. we arrive March 19th, early in the morning (around 6:30). flying from Israel with a short connection in Seoul. departing April 8th in the morning (this day is obviously not included in the 20 days count).

I'm not very keen on spending a lot of time in the city (Melbourne + Sydney), which is why I kind of ruled out the Canberra option (and I think too much time will go on transport since we don't want to rent a car for that).
I'm wondering if it might be better to extent our existing destinations. adding a day in Tasmania, and a day on the GOR (for a detour or something. we are currently planning a return GOR trip from Melbournein 4 days). or maybe just add 2 days to Tas.
or maybe I'm wrong and we can easily spend more time in the cities. it's just that we are not big museums people, art shows, night life, lying on the beach, all those things we'll probably skip so not sure which is a better way to go.
Jun 12th, 2019, 05:25 AM

I'm not a city person myself, and I love Tasmania - we visited twice, spending over two weeks each time and would happily go back if we lived just a wee bit closer!

If you're outdoor people, there's loads to do in TAS - lots of great hiking, etc. Just making a circuit of the island can take 10-12 days at a leisurely pace, spending several nights at towns long the way. There are wineries, beaches, forests, etc. The weather can be iffy, but I personally wouldn't hesitate to visit in March. It will be cooler than many parts of Australia, which is a very good thing as far as I'm concerned
Jun 12th, 2019, 01:41 PM

You could add extra time to your GOR trip by returning to Melbourne through the Grampians NP and Ballarat. Great scenery and lots to see.