Search

1 Day Rainforest Trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 Day Rainforest Trip

Hi,

I have a free day in cairns and am planning an allday rainforest trip. Should I go for Kuranda or Daintree?

Cheers,

David.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 11:20 AM

Definately Daintree! Kuranda is such a tourist trap. The only good thing is the cable car ride up.

Try Trek North's Cape Tribulation tour if you want a great introduction to the rainforest.

I've posted a more detailed trip report here:

(http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=0&start=0)
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:28 PM

Hi David - I get asked this question all the time and agree with Steve both on Daintree and Trek North - www.treknorth.com.au Kuranda Village is tourist/tacky but it does have lovely walks 5 minutes out of village and a butterfly sanctuary and Birdworld - still, if I had to make a choice it would be Daintree.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Guys,

I am still undecided (even though no-one voiced support for Kuranda) and I have a few more questions:

If I went on a Daintree trip would a lot of time be 'wasted' on the coach?

Is Kuranda really a full day and do the views from the cable car/train make it worthwhile?

Ta, David.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 06:27 PM

Cape Tribulation is a fair distance from Cairns - Trek North picks up in Cairns around 7.30am and gets you back at about 6pm - so there is quite a bit of time spend travelling, but I wouldn't say it's wasted as you'll be going through some of the best scenery in the country. Trek North stops briefly for pick-ups at Port Douglas with a quick whip around the town (it's only small place) then for a rainforest walk at Mossman Gorge - then on to "crocodile cruise" on Daintree River. Then a great lunch prepared by the driver/guide in a tropical orchard, then onto Cape Tribulation. On the way back there are a couple of boardwalks in the rainforest where you may see a cassowary in the wild. Kuranda train/Skyrail is much closer to Cairns - view from Skyrail is outstanding and good from train - also easy to take in Tjakupai Aboriginal cultural park which is next to the bottom skyrail station. That would make it pretty much a full day - you can make it shorter by spending less time in Kuranda village.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 04:12 AM

I would agree that the time you spend on the coach on the Trek North tour is not wasted as your guide (we had a great guide called Craig) will have heaps of local info and there are really great coastal views for most of the journey. Overall, I felt it was a more rewarding day than Kuranda.

I would say Kuranda is not a full day, more a half day. Take the skyway up and down, be sure to go down to the river bank near the train station, skip most of the so-called 'village'. The train journey takes much longer than the cable car, although it does have nice views of the mountains.

I would say Kuranda is a more 'tourist/theme park' experience whereas a Daintree tour is a more 'rainforest' experience. There are plenty of great photo ops on the Daintree trip and you will end the day with a feeling of having been to some wonderful places and of being IN the rainforest. I really wish you could do both, but as you have to choose one, I would recommend Daintree.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 06:25 AM

Just returned from Oz and did both. Would have to agree, if you can only do one, choose Daintree/Cape Tribulation. We went with Asutralia Pacific Tours, small coach, wonderful guide Darren Morgan. Kuranda was o.k. but I have to agree with the other posters - too touristy. However, the Tjapukai Cultural Centre was very worthwhile if interested in aboriginal history.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Well, daintree/cape trib is definately tempting but I still have a couple of
questions:
We are also going to Fraser Island - will we see rainforest like Daintree
here also?
How many hours required for a return trip on the cable car to Kuranda? I am
thinking of maybe doing it on the afternoon we arrive in cairns or in the
morning before we leave.

Ta.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 11:57 AM

There is some info on the official Skyrail site here (at the bottom of the page)

http://www.skyrail.com.au/fares.htm

They say a return takes 2 and a half hours which sounds about right to me. Allow a few hours to look around at Kuranda and you've got a nice afternoon trip. Enjoy it! (Don't forget to get off at both stop-points and check out the river bank at Kuranda)
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 04:37 PM

Fraser's Islands rainforest is nothing like Daintree - Daintree's is world heritage listed because it meets the following criteria - it represents the major stages of the earth's evolutionary history; it's an outstanding example representing ongoing ecological process and biological evolution; it contain's superlative natural phenomena and contains important and significant natural habitats for plant and animal threatened species. Fraser Island (not in tropics) has its own charms - it's a large sand island with some rainforest in the middle - lovely lakes with incredibly clean water. It's dangerous to swim in the sea - undertows and I've seen large sharks within 10feet of shore.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi, I have decided to do a full day at daintree and 1/2 day to Kuranda just to get the views. I now need to choose between Billy Tean and Trek North for Daintree - what would set them apart from each other?
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 07:41 AM

I'm not sure if many people have done both tours, if they go to the same place. I went with Trek North and I have no complaints. It was a great day.

Trek North has a full breakdown of the tour on its website (http://www.treknorth.com.au/cape-tribulation-tour.htm) which you can perhaps compare with the other tour to see what you like the look of more.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 05:41 PM

Kerry Guy looking for info from you
he has a great b & b in NNZ and has wonderful info - kerry please email Jack we might be back this year