Yokohama pier to Kamakura

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Yokohama pier to Kamakura

We are on a cruise stopping in Yokohama for a day, hate "ship shore excursions" want to take the train to Kamakura for the day. I know the line from Yokohama main station, what do I take to get their from the port area?
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 01:12 PM

There is a rail line from Yokohama station that goes into the city and not far from the bay, but I think the port is close enough to take a taxi. Actually, I do recall seeing some a passenger boat, not big cruise ships, very near to Yokohama station, close enough to walk. My final answer is: am not sure but think you could take a taxi.

The city has a nice webpage with good info:
http://www.city.yokohama.jp/en/
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 12:54 AM

The cruise ships use the International Passenger Terminal. It is by Yamashita Park, not near Yokohama station. You can walk 15 minutes to Kannai Station to get a train south to Ofuna where you transfer to another train to Kamakura. Or you can take that train north to Yokohama and then travel south from there.

The following webpage about the port mentions that there is a free shuttle to Yokohama eki. Might save you a couple of minutes vs walking.
http://www.japanwelcomesyou.com/cssw.../yokohama.html
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 03:32 AM

You can walk from pier to Kannai Stn, take a JR train (two stops) to Yokohama. The train from Kannai to Ofuna is not the fastest--taking Yokosuka Line (JR) from Yokohama Stn is the fastest.
I don't recall paying more than JPY3000 or so from Yamashita Park area to Yokohama Stn.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks alot.