Beijing to Chengde to Inner Mongolia

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beijing to Chengde to Inner Mongolia

Does anyone know whether it is possible to visit the Great Wall from Beijing, and then move on to Chengde that same day? Are the sections of the Great Wall at Simitai and Jinshanling on the way to Chengde? What transport options are there? Are there any flights from Chengde to Inner Mongolia and then back to Beijing? Thanks for your help
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:21 AM

Yes, Simatai and Jinshanling is on the way to Chengde. All NE of Beijing. I think the only reasonable way to visit those places and get to Chengde same day is to have a car/van that wait for you at the wall, then continue to drive you to Chengde.

Inner Mongolia is a huge province. Where are you going? The capital, Hohhot (Huhehaote) or Baotao?

There's no airport at Chengde, so you need to get back to Beijing. There are short 1-hr flights from Beijing to both Hohhot and Baotao. There are also trains (some overnight). Beijing to Hohhot is about 10 hours, Beijing to Baotao is about 13 hours.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, rkkwan ,for your prompt reply.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:23 AM

rkkwan:

I visited Chengde 2 decades ago, have you visited recently? Impressions? Accomodations? Appeciate your input.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Shanghaiese - No, I haven't been lately, but my parents went a couple of years ago, and one of my cousin went earlier this year after hearing my recommendations. She highly enjoyed it, so it seems like the main sites haven't changed much, and hotels are better than 20 years ago (just like they have anywhere else in China).
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Thanks for your response, rrkwan.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:43 AM

As mentioned by my cousin, I went to Chengde recently. The Summer Palace (or Garden) is absolutely beautiful. I'm definitely glad to have seen it. I was lucky to be there in off-peak season, so the grounds were very serene and I could actually take pictures without a tour group in the background. I'd imagine the place would be packed in peak season. I didn't actually tour all the 8 Outer Temples, but just seeing them from outside is incredible as well.

The city itself is nothing to boost about, but you can find decent hotels easily. Chances are you don't want to spend more than 1 night there, so spending just a night in a 3 star equivalent hotel isn't too bad.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Thanks, mmyk72, it's nice to have cousins sharing travel info.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know whether Mutianyu is on the way to Chengde? Would it be better to make a daytrip to visit there and return to Beijing in the evening or to move on to Chengde that same day in the interest of saving travelling time?

What would be the best places to visit in Inner Mongolia if I only have 2 night/ 3 days?