Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Yikes, leaving Wednesday 5/4/23. Have a question???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2023, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question about bringing medications with me into Japan. I understand I can only bring 30 days worth which is OK since I'll only be there for 23 days. I am keeping my prescriptions in their original bottles with the name of the medication, the dosage and the doctor's name. I did not find any of my medications on the list of ones that cannot be brought into Japan, so I thought it was all OK.

My husband and I are doing a small group short tour before we strike out on our own. Late today, my husband queried the tour group leader who is Asian but lives in the states and he said to contact the Japanese Consultant on Monday to see if we need an explanation for each medication from our physician. With the shortage of physicians where we live, it is extremely difficult to even get a call back from our PCP, so getting a letter documenting everything would be almost impossible on such short notice.

Has anyone had any problems entering Japan with their medications? Ours are mostly just old folks meds, blood pressure, heart, digestion, antibiotics (just in case)...nothing controlled, or anything like that. Can anyone ease my mind or help me figure this out????
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 05:36 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I enteredJapan twice this year, early Jan. & early Feb. At no time was any reference made to medications. I've found that to be true everywhere I've traveled for many years on several continents. I doubt, to the point of certainty, you'll be asked.

Old Apr 28th, 2023, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I've never had any problems in Europe or the other places we've traveled...it's actually never even been a thought!

Now, I only have to think about packing the least amount of weight that I can! Again, thank you so much for the feedback.
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 08:21 PM

I have never been asked about my medications, even when I had a small amount of narcotics prescribed a few days earlier, in the original container and I had a visible injury.
The only reason I would consider get a doctor's explanation was if I had a lot of narcotics with me.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 02:27 AM

Never had any problems entering Japan (or anywhere else for that matter) with medication, including, on a couple of occasions, controlled drugs. I really wouldn’t worry about it.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 04:27 AM

Since I am in Japan for more than one month, I have always filled out the paperwork although now it is done online. I have never declared my medications at customs, and that did not used to be in the instructions. The fact that someone never had anything questioned is neither here nor there - who knows why an immigration agent will decide to search someone's belongings....better safe than sorry imo.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 11:19 AM

Mara brings up a good point. While I’ve never been stopped or questioned on any medications on my person, keep in mind that Japan has extremely strict laws on drugs if planning to bring in anything containing a controlled substance.
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I don't have any controlled substances and I am keeping everything in the original container with the MD's name, the name of the medication and I'm not taking in more than 30 days worth. If Japan is so strict on medications, I would assume anyone over the age of 60 would never travel there and I know that people do, so I'm just going to go and hope for the best. If they don't want my tourist dollars, then so be it!

I appreciate all the feedback. C'est la vie, I'll be in Paris in October!
Old May 1st, 2023, 08:07 AM

>> go and hope for the best

Except you aren't doing that. You "did not find any of my medications on the list of ones that cannot be brought into Japan". Ok, then, as long as you also checked the list for any non-prescription drugs that you may be taking.

I was stopped and had my bag searched when I entered Japan at Toyama airport. I remember the agent looking at my bottle of Pepto and then at me. I pointed to my tummy and frowned. He pointed to his tummy and nodded. He looked at my bottlle of Tylenol and I pointed at my head. I was good to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -