Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving for London Wednesday--WHAT is going on there?????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 04:45 PM
diane

Hi--leaving for London on Wednesday--Whats going on there with these awful floods, as well as the fuel protests???? Help!! Is there too much Mother Nature (and civil) unrest to have an enjoyable holiday???? (I don't mean to sound callous about the plight of the citizens there--I'm just wondering if I need to make a last minute itinerary switch)--I was planning on being in London from Weds the 9 thru Monday the 13TH. Any input truly appreciated.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 05:06 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear Diane: I too am leaving for London on Wednesday (but I won't get in until Thursday AM). My sister--a long-time resident of London--wrote me this evening that the floods between London and the southwest are pretty bad; and all the gas stations near her (Hammersmith) were closed today. Despite this rather gloomy picture I look forward to London--a place I love. Hope you get there and don't have too much trouble. Joan

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 06:36 PM
Miane

"An Englishman never goes out without his umbrella", they say. Do the same and focus on indoor activities. To check out what's going on, log on www.thisislondon.com = the calendar of events.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 08:35 PM
Carol

My son lives and works in London and has had no problems with the floods except that some train lines have been closed for a short while until fallen trees were removed from the lines. The worst problem that has caused is that he has had to walk to another tube stop on another line, that's not so bad. My husband is leaving for London on thursday, on business, and he hasn't been warned about any potenial problems, so I guess all is well. I don't think there is any civil unrest, just long queues at the petrol stations, that shouldn't be any problem to you in the city. Don't let stress spoil your trip, I'm sure you'll have a great time, even if you are a little drenched at times

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 02:02 AM
Elizabeth White

Don't worry! Come to London, and have a great time. <BR> <BR>For those people whose homes are flooded, yes the floods are a big problem - but that is only a very tiny proportion of the country. It's blown out of proportion by the media, simply because it's so rare for us to have such a lot of rain. <BR> <BR>It's almost funny to hear the fuel protests being described as 'civil unrest'! Honestly, don't worry about it. The fuel blockade in September took the country by surprise, and some people had to stop using their cars. But almost all the public transport was still operating. If it should happen again, it won't take the Government by surprise, and all will be well. <BR> <BR>You're not alone in wondering whether to cancel your visit, so I guess our little problems have been exaggerated in the overseas media, as well as here. But believe me - any problems are little ones, for the vast majority of the population. <BR> <BR>Come - and have a great time (but bring your umbrella, as it will probably rain!)

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 03:34 AM
Al

Go to the web site of The London Daily Telegraph and read the headline news each day. It's free of charge (that means no cost, as Stewart would say) and it's a great read from another perspective.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 04:05 PM
lizzie

Any updates anyone??

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 04:37 PM
Jaime

I have an English pen pal who resides just outside of London, and she wrote yesterday that they are gearing up for another trucker's blockade. She said this time they are giving everyone notice so people can stock up on petrol and food, and she has done so. She claims the British government has said they will not reduce taxes no matter what, and the people are fed up, so this protest is to be organized, and it begins next week. She also said the government is currently planning to use British soldiers to drive the trucks through any blockades. <BR> <BR>Just the scoop I got from my pal.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 05:18 PM
joan

Good morning Londoners--any more updates???

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 02:38 AM
david west

Its raining at the moment, and the flooding is pretty bad in york and the southwest. THe trains are all over the place, you can get where you need to but it takes longer. THe fuel protest seems to be a damp squib so far. <BR> <BR>There is no danger of London flooding as we have a brilliant defensive barrier (which is worth seeing in itself). so as a tourist, apart from feeling a bit damp you should be fine.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 04:24 AM
Kavey

Hi Peeps <BR> <BR>Raining is crap but to be expected in November... It is a little heavier than usual but when its raining hard anyway it doesnt make much difference whether it will completely soak you in 5 minutes or in 10... <BR> <BR>Bring you warm and waterproof clothes and you will be fine. <BR> <BR>As for transport, we have been affected by a number of accidents on the rail network around the country which have led to some urgently needed and drastic measures to repair other damages areas of line. This means many train timetables have been severely affected. <BR> <BR>On top of this the floods have further played havoc on the train system. <BR> <BR>Within London, most Tubes are running normally, but trains in and out are still affected. <BR> <BR>We have had no problems driving up to Luton but you might need to review if you have car hire booked with the intention of getting out into England countryside. <BR> <BR>The fuel crisis probably wont hit as bad this time around but rest assured no-one starved last time and apart from long queues for petrol things went on as usual. <BR> <BR>kavey <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 05:33 AM
Elizabeth White

Still raining! <BR> <BR>Trains still delayed due to track repairs required. <BR> <BR>Fuel tax protests not due to start for another week or so, although a few petrol stations have temporarily run out of supplies because of panic buying. <BR> <BR>Still no reason to postpone your visit!