yangtze trip cheaply

Oct 10th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Katrine

yangtze trip cheaply

Hello
Is it possible to go down the Yangtze without the hype of a cruiser, I'm quite happy to rough it.
I have seen the local ferries offerred - has anyone tried this and are there any alternatives?
Thanks

Oct 10th, 2002, 07:07 PM
captain

You can try it if you can stand rats crossing your body when you sleep and cigarette smoke around you ALL the time, plus filthy toilet and pungent body odor all over the place. I did it once but I won't repeat it. The people were really nice and scenery magnificent , though.

Oct 14th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Lee

My parents booked a cruise on a Chinese cruise ship rather than one of the Western style ships. I know they did it through their travel agent, and there are several options.

The ship they booked was much less expensive (about $300 per person for 4 nights). My husband and I were trying to go with them, but the boat booked too quickly. So, make your reservations early!

I'm sorry but I don't know the name of the ship, however If you speak with any travel agent familiar with Yangtze cruises they should be able to help you. It could be a good alternative to the larger cruise ships.

Oct 15th, 2002, 08:17 AM
captain

Well, $300 a person is not really roughing it. The money should get you a decent cabin with private bath on a 3-star ship or better. I paid less than $50 for my Yangtze "cruise".

Oct 16th, 2002, 01:10 PM
JAX

Yes, it is possible, however the accommadations on a Chinese ship will be a bit rougher. "Captain"'s description sounds very low end. Yet I have talked to a friend who visited friends in China last year and she did mention a few similar complaints re: being on a Chinese ship (1) LOTS of smokers in China; and (2) the announcements were all in Chinese --- what would happen if an emergency occurred?

Oct 16th, 2002, 05:06 PM
kang

You can certainly rough it if you go with a ship for Chinese domestic tourists. I did it myself last year. The cost for the 4 day 3 night crusing from Chongqing to Yichang I remember was RMB1080, about US$135, everything included. And that rate was for the first class cabin.

For the first class, you will share your little cabin and an independent bathroom with another traveller. I wouldn't call the toilet filthy, but it will certainly not be the best toilet experience. No hot water, that's for sure.

Smoking could be a problem, and a big one if you are strongly against it. However, if you are in first calss cabin and your cabinmate is no smoker, you won't have to deal with it at least during most time of your stay.

Language could be a problem too. There could be no one speaking English. The crew members certainly don't. In case of an emergency, you may run into trouble in unable to follow instructions. I don't really see that scenario happen but well, you never know.

There are a few westerners on my ship. Two Americans, one German, one English, and four from Sweden. I was asked as an interpeter in a few occations, but I think they would be doing just fine without my help. Travelling in China is really not that difficult - people are always willing to be out of their way to help you - the foreigner.

One big plus is that you are with the real Chinese people. You may see things you dislike, the locals arbitrarily polluting the ship and even the river for instance, and you may find things that are truly fascinating. It could become a very interesting part of your entire China experience.

My advice: go for it.

Oct 18th, 2002, 05:24 AM
venezia

Im Currently travelling in Asia. Was in China for a month in August and will return there in a month and do the Yangtzee cruise on a local chinese ferry.
I have already visited the ticket office (in Shanghai) and got all the details (schedule cost and I think 5 different classes exist) only I dont have my notes in front of me. When I find them I will return and post the info.
Basically, my travel partner went ahead of me and did the trip a week ago and he had no complaints. He was the only westerner on the ship but everyone was very friendly and knowing him, he went for the cheapest ticket.
I am sure the toilets smelled, I never visited a toilet in China that didnt, but you do <i><u>try</u></i> to get used to it