Reload this Page >

Yangtze River Tours?

Search

Yangtze River Tours?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:01 PM
nubyin

Yangtze River Tours?

<BR>Were planning our first trip to china in sept. After perusing some of the tours and their itinerary we came to the conclusion that what we mainly want to do is sail the yangtze river (downstream). <BR>How difficult would it be to arrange a river tour only once we arrive there? Since we are both strapped for cash and time were only looking at a 3 or 4 day tour possibly ranging between 500 to 650 $US. once we arrive. Any suggestions? is this doable?<BR>all replys welcome.<BR>peace always,<BR>byin

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:33 PM
MJ

I just booked with a tour guide in China that included a down strean Yangze river cruise and the cost was $585. Send me a e mail if you wnat more details. The cruise was a 5 star.<BR>Mike

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Peter N-H

Tours on five star boats can be had for as little as US$125 depending on the time of year, and the cheapest prices will always be obtained by turning up and buying at the wharf, having picked up the sailing schedules in advance from tour group brochures, web sites, CITS, or telephone calls.<BR><BR>The big mystery is why anyone would actually want to waste part of a limited-time trip to China in taking this cruise--certainly a contender for the title of most over-rated travel experience in China.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Peter N-H

Incidentally, the expression 'five star' should here always appear in inverted commas. The better boats are comfortable enough, but five star they are not except in the imagination of the owners and the no doubt well-banqueted officials in charge of classification.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:17 AM
kang

If I were a first timer to China, I wouldn't think about doing the Yangtze River cruise unless I had at least 2 weeks to spend.<BR><BR>You can spend your 4 days in Beijing, for instance, and have a far more rewarding experience than to float on the river. You can be doing very well in Bejing and still within your bugget limits as long as you don't stay in top-line expensive hotels.<BR><BR>In my view, if seeing natural wonders is your intention, then visiting Guilin/Yangshuo area would be a good alternative.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Steven

Wnile i agree that the Guilin-Yangshou cruise and a Motorcycle with side car tour (for those not into regular bikes) of the Yangshou countryside is well worth doing, I also found the Yangste River downstream cruise to be a scenic highlight of our vacation. It is absolutely gorgeous when the ship passes through the varied shades of green terracing climbing steeply up the high mountain slopes just feet from the narrow river's banks. In general while the art, culture, history and architecture of China is fascinating, getting away from the tourist stops and out into the public areas with local folks, is the only way to experience the China of today.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 08:03 PM
nubyin

<BR>Thanx for your comments. Sorry for the late response.<BR>Im starting to believe spending all my time aboard a riverboat on my first tour of china to be unwise. thanx for all of your input. <BR>How does a trip down the Li river compare? in price and scenery. would it be more advantageous to do the Li? <BR>eck! im swamped with all of this info. but I know no one who has actually been there. Heeelllllllllp!<BR>just kiddin'<BR>seriously all info will be appreciated.<BR>thanx in advance for ur consideration and time.<BR>peace always,<BR>byin.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 03:51 AM
kang

It is really not so much as which one is "more advantageous". The point is that you don't want your first China experience to be so monotonous. Yangtze river cruise offers spectacular views but after spending your precious few days only on a boat filled with foreign visitors, you can hardly feel that you have been in China at all.<BR><BR>Guilin/Yangshuo(the Li river) would be very different. You can try all kind of things and enjoy the natural beauty in differnt ways(a short cruise is one of them); you can stay in Yangshuo and mingle with the locals and all kind of people from the world to exchange your stories; you can of course adventure out to meet and talk to real Chinese people to see how they live.<BR><BR>Your visit in Li river area will probably cost you less money than the Yangtze River cruise. But you have to fly to Guilin from your entry point, either Beijing, or Shanghai, or Hongkong. In this case, Hongkong would be the least expensive if you come from the United States.<BR><BR>You have of course other options as well, just allocate and use your days of stay in China more effectively. You will enjoy it.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 02:00 PM
Patty

For those that have done the Yangtze cruise, how are the facilities on the "5 star" boats? Are Victoria and Regal the two "best" lines? What's the approx. cabin size and most importantly it is clean? How's the food? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 02:37 PM
Patty

Also, how's Orient Royal cruises (East King and East Queen). Anyone sailed on either of these vessels before?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Peter N-H

I've been on the East Queen, which was claimed to be one of the most luxurious boats on the river at the time (the other being its sister ship, the East King).<BR><BR>The boats are comfortable, and clean, but not luxurious. In size, number of cabins, and general fittings they resemble many on the Nile. The cabins are not large, the bathrooms are well-fitted if small, and the rest of the boat's facilities are straightforward. You don't go on the boat for the boat's sake, but for the scenery's sake, although this really is one of the most overrated trips in the whole of China.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Patty

Thanks, Peter! I had to ask about the condition and cleanliness of the ship because my mom is kind of a clean freak.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:39 PM
lze

Hello Nubyin, I spent 3 weeks in China, Hong Kong, and Bangkok last May/June. Wonderful experience. We did 5 days on the Yangtze. It was included in our tour package so I am not certain how easy it would be to arrange it once you arrive there. The ship is not fancy. Don't expect anything like the large ocean liners. We found it to be clean. Cabins are small. But as one poster said you don't go for the cabin but for the scenery. Some of the most breathtaking you will find anyplace in the world. To think that a lot of it will end up under water when they complete the damn project is mind boggling. I throughly enjoyed the trip. We stopped at a lot of small towns along the way, Guilin being one of them. Much to see. Lots of steps to climb to reach the tour bus once the boat has docked. Not many hand rails if that is a concern of yours. The motorcycle side car tour another poster spoke of was our favorite day. We rode out to the countryside and stopped to photograph along the way. The rice paddies are so green and beautiful with the mountains in the background. We visited a farmer's house and what a megar existance they do have. Really makes you appreciate what you have at home. But it was an interesting day for sure. If your time is limited you might want to reconsider a cruise as part of your itinery. But, also consider how you will be getting around between places. <BR>FOR PATTY:<BR>The ship was clean. Rooms small. Always had fresh bottled water for us. The food was okay. They tried their hand at American food on occasion. Not a bad job. I got sick but who knows why. Could have been food on land as we went to several places to eat lunch as we toured. If you cannot wash it yourself (in pure water) or if you cannot peel it, don't eat it! We were on Victoria. Sometimes at night it was noisy as we were docked and could hear people outside on the docks yelling back and forth.But, you are so tired it won't matter to much. They always had some tea and a cool towel for your hands and forehead as you re-entered the ship after a tour. Nice gesture. Not much entertainment on board.<BR>Hope this has helped in decision making. Do go and do enjoy. Trip of a lifetime.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Dave

Ize - Did you mean some other town besides Guilin?<BR><BR>Which Victoria ship were you on?

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Patty

Thank you Ize!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 08:30 PM
lze

Hello again and this message is for Dave. I did goof didn't I? We were on the Victoria Princess I think. We flew from Beijing to Wuhan and toured the city before boarding the cruise there. We stopped in Yueyang,entered the 3 gorges the next day. Docked at Sandouping Village and visited the site of the damn project. After proceeding through the gorges we arrived in wushan. We then got on a smaller boat and went into the lesser gorges, very spectacular scenery. Back on the cruise ship,we arrived in Wanxian,and the next day we were in Chongging where we disembarked from the cruise ship. We then flew to Xian and saw the Terra Cotta Soilders as well as some other things. Next was Guilin. I knew it was in there someplace! Went from Guilin to Guangzhou (formerly Canton)and from there to Hong Kong and then on to Bangkok. I was just checking if everyone was paying attention Dave! LOL..........It was a great trip even if I didn't remember the correct order of things. Senior moment you know, I'm allowed so they tell me!

Old May 9th, 2002, 02:08 AM
ahah

Find out the site<BR>http://www.yangtzerivertour.com<BR>

Old May 10th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Beverly

So, after reading all these responsed I am more confused than ever. I just booked 15 days in China that does include a 4 day Victoria river cruise through Ritz Tours. For some reason, I'm not sure about being on a boat for that long and I guess I would need to be assured it will stop in enough towns to see the real China. It does stop in Wuhan and Chongquing. My other alternative could be to switch my tour and include Tibet. I originally wanted to spend about 5 days in Bali but the price of getting there from Shanghai was quite prohibitive. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Beverly

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:17 PM
LEANNA

Use all these suggestions as a guide then follow your own interests and heart. Everyone travels differently and everyone has different tastes. Do the YR if you want.....I did and was thrilled w/ it and the gorges....I went upstream and was never ever bored for a second...I spent hours on my bed w/ my camera looking out the window and watching China drift by....to me...fascinating. To others on my tour they were bored.<BR> Who are you? What do you like? What interests you? This is what to figure out.....what sounds interesting to you??? There is no right or wrong..just individual tastes!!! <BR><BR>Good luck!!! China is amazing!