Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Boracay, Palawan, Langkawi, Maldives or Bali?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 11:03 PM
Michelle

My boyfriend and I are planning a week-long trip with another couple (we're mid-20's to early 30's). We'd like to go somewhere with an extensive list of outdoor activities, cultural experiences, a bit of nightlife and some relaxation mixed all together. <BR> <BR>Can anyone provide suggestions to help me narrow down a destination between those listed above? Thank you in advance!

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 03:08 AM
laura kruger

Hi there. <BR> <BR>Have been to Maldives and Bali, but never to the other two, so I can't comment on those. But of the two that I know and from what you are looking for than I would suggest Bali. It is fantastic with many diverse activities. <BR> <BR>Enjoy

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Myriam

Forget the Maldives. These islands are just OK if you want to scuba dive, snorkel and relax. Nothing else to do or to see, not even a nightlife.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 04:30 PM
MichaelfromNewYork

First: Bali has the best cultural experiences, and a list of outdoor activities like hiking, whitewater rafting, sailing, parasailing, jet skis, etc. But not a great infrastructure. <BR> <BR>Langkawi has fine luxury hotels, and a nice modern infrastructure, but the local culture is Malaysia modern. <BR> <BR>I can't speak about the Maldives other than they appear to be beautiful based on photos. <BR> <BR>Boracay and Palawan are Philippine Resorts. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately now must you consider the world situation. Langkawi is Malaysia, moderate, but mostly Muslim. <BR> <BR>Bali is Indonesia. I was there in November of 2000 during the period when there was a time when Americans were being sought for expulsion in some hotels in East Java. This was not occuring in Bali. But today the situation has escalated. <BR> <BR>US State Department has issued Travelers Warning for Southern Philippines destinations. Beyond that I make no comment. <BR> <BR>Personally Last November I spent two weeks in Bali and had a wonderful time. Bali is different and can please and agrravate simultaneously. I then followed that with five days in Langkawi at the Sheraton Perdana Resort and thought it was just fabulous. I then went to Penang (Batu Ferringhi Beach area) and stayed at the Penang Parkroyal which I also recommend highly.Penang is mostly Chinese/Malay but I was awkened everyday by the amplified call to prayers at a nearby Mosque. <BR> <BR>Me - I am going to Thailand soon. <BR> <BR>Michael

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 03:17 AM
Lisa

Some good advise above. The only one of the places you've suggested that I've been to is Bali, and I go there one or two times a year - minimum. They have quite a bit to do in outdoor fun, as well as plenty of partying if you want it or serene if you want it. Also depends on your price range - at this point you can get a decent little homestay complete with breakfast for $10 to $25 if you bargain (I actually stay for cheaper) or a more upscale stay for $30 to $40 or even way upscale into the $200 range. I usually go to Kuta for one or two days (major tourist trap, but it shows me what new items in shopping there are), and then spend most of my time in Ubud. You can do quite a bit in the way of day trips out of there, and the rice paddy walks and bike riding are fun. They also have a Hash House Harriers group - if you are familiar with them, that run every Tuesday(?) and always welcome guests.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Debbie

<BR>Can anybody suggest a nice <BR>place with beautiful scenery to stay in Ubud? <BR>Away from town.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 06:50 AM
miguel

Boracay and Palawan are actually places in the Philippines (not resorts!). If you are looking for outdoor activities, cultural experiences, a bit of nightlife and some relaxation mixed all together, then Boracay would be a good choice. It is located in central Philippines and should be safe since it is far from southern Philippines, where a Muslim seccessionist movement exists. (The Philippines is predominantly Christian.)

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 10:33 AM
dave

Depends on how adventureous you are.<BR><BR>Boracay is laid back. Best sand in the world. Some good diving and developed but not over developed (atmosphere). Very cheap too for everything. And very tourist friendly.<BR><BR>Palawan is more hard to get to and more adventureous unless you stay at one of few luxurious resorts there. Otherwise it'll be a rough trip but rewarding.<BR><BR>Maldives very expensive and catered to package tours and divers. Might be costlier to get to also.<BR><BR>Bali is a nice balance of some cultural experience (balinese dance, puppet shows, temples, rice paddie fields)etc... But beach is not as nice as the above places. Depends what you want.<BR><BR>Langkawi is a bit more developed and catered to Singapore crowd. <BR><BR>If you just want beach and reasonableness without hassle. Boracay. If you want luxuary and don't care about cost then Maldives. If you want to do more than just hang out on a beach then Bali. If you want to explore and hang out on a secluded beach then Palawan. <BR><BR>There you have it. <BR><BR>I loved Boracay a lots<BR>Bali was nice but something about turquoise water and powdery white sand (therefore I liked boracay more).<BR><BR>hope this helps<BR><BR>DAVE<BR>

Old May 10th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Vicky

We live in Singapore and had our grown son and daughter and her husband come for Christmas. We took them to Bali. Since we needed 2 or 3 rooms, we rented a villa. On the beach with a staff of 14 to take care of us. Was cheaper than hotels, plus we had our own chef, cook. That's the way to go.

Old May 11th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Renelle

What about Phuket or Koh Samui??