Yangshuo hotels flooded?

Search

Yangshuo hotels flooded?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yangshuo hotels flooded?

I am planning a trip of perhaps 5 nights in Yangshuo in October, and though it's rather early, I'm starting to check on hotel reservations. I've sent emails to both the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat and the Magnolia -- and neither has gotten back to me in several days. On the TripAdvisor site, there are pictures of substantial flooding from sometime recently, it appears. Does anyone know if these hotels may have been closed, or damaged too much by floods?

I'd also appreciate advice about the pros and cons of the Yangshuo options. I've read some positive comments on this site, regarding the Li River Retreat, but on TripAdvisor there are complaints that it's not a comfortable walk from town, and that the road to town is closed too much of the day due to the daily market vendors. Anybody have some recent experience?

Ideally we'd like first class, at least 3 star accomodations, but it looks like all the options in Yangshuo are somewhat rustic. The prices all seem rather good, though.

Thanks.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM

Hi Ed,

I know you read my account of our experiences with the Li River Retreat. They aren't flooded (I have spoken recently with a young woman who works there and because they are on top of a hill, no problems.)

In my opinion, staying at the Li River Retreat and using the taxi service (which was rather inexpensive) was well worth the inconvenience of the road closure and the longish distance to town.

I'll be most intersted in your experience, wherever you end up. Also, if you correspond with Lilly Lu, she can give you up-to-the minute information on Yangshuo conditions and she's really good about keeping in touch.

Linda
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Hello Ed,

I'll be going to Yangshou in October too and will be staying at the Li River Retreat. I had gone back and forth in deciding to stay there or in town, but want a relaxing visit, so taking taxi's back and forth won't be a bother for me. I am in direct contact with the Retreat's owner if you need a room ther. Of course, you can book directly at their web site. http://www.li-river-retreat.com/index.php

Yes, the accomodations are more rustic than in other places, but for me, it will be a nice change and different experience. All my other hotels for my trip (24 nights) will be in 4 star hotels).

When will you be in Yangshou? I'll be there at the end of October.

Monica
mjpileggi @comcast.net
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

I've still gotten no response to my reservation request at Yangshuo Mountain Retreat, but I did hear from Magnolia, so I guess they're in business.

Has anyone stayed at the Mountain Retreat? I'm unclear from the websites exactly how far it is from town, and whether it is actually better located in relationship to any other sites in the area. Would appreciate advice, since it sounds like potentially the ultimate in a relaxing visit.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Hi Monica,

We will also be at Li River Retreat end October. We will be arriving Sat. night Oct.25 for 4 nights plus whole day on Oct. 29th. What are your dates? Are you booking a guide and driver?

Mary
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Hi Mary,

My cousin and I will arrive the 26th for 4 nights. I have a guide hired for some of the days. Email me and we can chat! Maybe we can have dinner together one night.

Monica

[email protected]
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 03:59 AM

Anyone going to the Li River 19 - 25 Sept? It would be nice to "know" someone ahead of time.