Best Guilin/Yangshuo Hotel

May 30th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Best Guilin/Yangshuo Hotel

My wife and I will be traveling from Shanghai to Guilin next Sept 28 thru Oct1. Safe and clean hotels are our priorities when traveling overseas. Please advise on best hotels to stay at Guilin or Yangshuo, or the vicinity as well. Information on how to make reservations thru internet is appreciated. Best wishes to you all.
May 30th, 2007, 10:22 AM

We liked the Li River Retreat in Yangshuo. It meets your criteria of clean and safe. Some might consider its location (about 20 min walk from town) a drawback, or a major plus since it has beautiful river views. Also the food is very good and inexpensive and the staff are very helpful with planning area activities.

I think your dates are the start of the fall holiday week and if so the area will be mobbed with Chinese tourists. Even more reason to stay in Yangshuo vs Guilin as the mobs will be daytrippers for the most part, but it will still be very busy.

We booked our stay at Li River Retreat over the internet, an no payment was required until the morning we checked out.

http://www.li-river-retreat.com/

happy travels!

maytraveller
Jun 1st, 2007, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Maytraveller, your advice is greatly appreciated. I will contact the Li River Retreat. At first we were interested in the Paradise Resort, but the latest information we have received indicates that its maintenance and general condition have diminished. Thank you.
Jun 4th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Just stayed at the Sheraton Guilin. The better tour companies stay there.
Jun 6th, 2007, 03:57 AM

What kind of prices are these hotels? I'm flying to China October 9th 2008 for about 3 weeks.

Monica
Jun 6th, 2007, 04:08 AM

Wow, the Li River Retreat looks great and I love the views! And a big WOW for the prices!

Monica
Jun 6th, 2007, 05:30 AM

We stayed a night in the Sheraton in Guilin which was like a Sheraton anywhere and we had no complaints. Yangshuo is much more interesting, and you might look into staying outside of town, since West Street is a bit noisy. We thoroughly enjoyed the Mountain Retreat, which was clean, comfortable and friendly, though without all the luxuries of the Sheraton. There are really no 5-star hotels in Yangshuo, but it's a must-see place in China.
Happy travels!
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM

I love the waterfall hotel In Guilin - I happened to be looking at the rate a few minutes ago and it was $69 - for 5 star. Even if you do not stay there, you have to find out when they do the crazy light and sound show of dumping zillions of gallons of water over the hotel in the evening - it is such a wild sight you will never see again, and won't forget.
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:44 AM

I saw earlier the web site for the Mountain Retreat and it looks great! What did you pay for your room and was is a standard or deluxe room?

If I were to stay in Yangshuo, is it easy to get to/from Guilin?

Monica

Jun 10th, 2007, 07:06 PM

I have the same question about how easy it is to get from Guilin to Yangshuo. So far my trip is 8 days in Beijing (work-related), 1-2 days in Xian and then 3 days in the Guilin/Yangshuo area. Do you recommend staying 1 night in Guilin and the 2 nights in Yangshuo?
Jun 11th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Travelgo7,

Check out my posting and the responses here http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=35011687 I was told I could stay in Guilin and then in Yangshuo.

Monica
Jun 11th, 2007, 08:27 AM

I just returned from 3 wonderful days at the Li River Retreat. We were very happy with the location which was outside of the tourist area. Recommend you rent bikes to see Yangshuo and get back and forth from the hotel (I think it was 15 RMB per bike per day). Have a great trip!
Jun 11th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Boyker,

For biking in the area, is it fairly flat? Or do I need to get in shape?

What room did you stay in? Do most have river views?

I got a quote for the other retreat, which was more expensive than the prices I saw on line for the Li river retreat. I want to save money but want comfort, views, and a good location.

Monica
[email protected]
Jun 12th, 2007, 08:43 AM

monicapileggi-
Generally the roads are flat so biking is not a problem. It is a great way to see the beautiful area outside of town. However, you may consider the services of a local guide for the first day. We got terribly lost on our first day out - and hired a local girl to show us around later. Biking around the Yangshuo area early in the morning through the rice fields was one of the highlights of our trip!
Li River Retreat - I think all rooms have views - but we stayed on the top floor in the "delux double" room. I HIGHLY recommend it. Also, be sure to have dinner at the hotel. It's lovely.
Have a great trip.
Jun 12th, 2007, 08:59 AM

If you do decide to stay at the Li River Retreat I agree stay in one of the deluxe doubles on the top floor!
Jun 12th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the info on the guide, biking, and dinner!

Monica
Jun 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

boyker
Great info... appreciated.
Jun 24th, 2007, 08:20 PM

We were in Guilin and Yongshou two weeks ago. I would say stay at the Waterfall or Sheraton in Guilin in that order...we stayed at Paradise Resort in Yangshou. It was adequate and clean. The beds were quite hard...as they tend to be in China...but aside from that it was more than adequate and right in town, which is certainly convenient.
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:08 AM

i stayed at the bravo in guilin. it was a good value because it was cheap, clean, and safe, but it's a bit outside of town. taxis are really cheap there, though, so it didn't really matter to us.

if you're looking for a tour guide in guilin, i just want to mention that i met a local that i actually found on this forum. his name is Jade Leo, and i think others here have also used his services. he was very good about answering my questions even before i decided to go to guilin and use him as a tour guide, so if you want to ask him about hotels, i'm sure he has some advice. here's his email: [email protected].

side story - at one point i was given counterfeit money as change (this is a HUGE problem in china), and Jade went out of his way to help me get my money back. extremely eager to help.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:50 AM

Thumbs up to both the Li River Retreat and the Guilin Sheraton, for all the reasons already cited. The sunrise and moonrise views from your balcony in the second-floor deluxe room at the retreat are world-class. We were there last year at exact same time, and you will regret you did not stay longer. Al Esposito at www.yangers.com will help you with inexpensive private tour guides.

Sheraton has tour groups to avoid (overwhelming the front desk and breakfast buffet, for example). The buffet, western and Chinese, was well above average on a par with a five-star hotel. Get the breakfast included rate if it makes sense $$. We changed rooms a couple times. I did not like the cleanliness of the carpet in one, and the view (dumpster alley) in the other. Much like in a US-run hotel, a polite request gets you to see the alternatives. We finally got a very nice large room. Please do not avoid the hotel based on the problem rooms, as the staff was eager to please and understood customer service. (You will find these qualities to be a rarity in many Chinese hotels.) Remember they usually deal with bus tour groups, so an individual paying individual rates should get better attention.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO