worried..

Aug 24th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

worried..

Hello all
I am 10 days away from leaving for Thailand and the weather worries me...the forecasts all call for rain as far as they can see. That's not counting the floods in CM. I will probably have to change to indoor activities ...Any suggestions for these?
Also we were planning a 5 day trek in northern thailand that we would have booked in CM...with this kind of weather is it still advisable?
Thanks for your help!
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:44 AM

Generally when they predict rain it does not rain all day so you should still be able to get the outdoor sightseeing in. However, here are some things to do when the weather is bad:
1. Take a cooking class either in Bangkok or Chiang Mai
2. Jim Thompson House
3. National Museum
4. Spa
5. Tea or coffee in the author's lounge of the Oriental Hotel
6. Vinamanke Mansion and the museums on the grounds
7. Suaan Paakard House
8. Shop
9. Eat at wonderful restaurants
Aug 24th, 2005, 07:11 AM

The weather forecast everyday in Thailand is normally "Scattered Thunder Shower". Kind of a joke everytime I read that forecast. You'll only have to be concern when there are major storms approaching the country, like a typhoon or a depression storm but apart from that I wouldn't worry.

For the past week it hasn't rain that much, maybe one hour a day the most and that is usually around 5 - 6 pm.

As for the flooding in Chiang Mai, It happens more and more often. Not because it's raining more but because of deforestation. This year Thailand has received less rain than normal. Even if it rains it's a "warm" rain not like those freezing rain you get in other part of the world. One good thing about this time of the year is that it's not as hot as the summer month
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:04 AM

unfortunately the month of september is generally the worst month in thailand...it has rain most of the time...that probably does not mean all day but some days will be like that...life goes on in bangkok...you just learn to deal with it...heavy rains also mean flodding..in june one nite it rained very hard and many of the bkk street were flooded with 1 foot or more of water....it goes away very quickly...along the river it is not as nice however as flooding does result....they put up sand bags to help keep the water out...

up country it may not be as bad, but i should not think it the best time for a trek???

ask the people you have booked with what to expect and any special eqpt you might need
Aug 24th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Phuket, on the other hand, has not had much rain and they are concerned about enough water in the reservoir (this according to a web site that sends me headlines from Thailand). I will be going to Phuket during my Sept/Oct visit, most probably during the last week of Sept. I hope the flooding rains don't start in just for me!!! LOL

Carol
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Just to add a couple of things:

When it rains, it mostly does it in the late afternoon, so plan to get up early, do your sightseeing, then spend the afternoon indoors.

To add to the indoor activities:
See a movie. Sounds crazy, but for about what you pay to see a movie in the US, you can get a seat in a "VIP" theater in Bangkok. These feature such things as electronic reclining seats that would put Lazyboy to shame (airline style blanket & pillow included), waiters to bring you your popcorn, and all digital movies. Some VIP theaters have "honeymoon" seats for two, while one even has a drive-in theme where the seats are in mockups of '57 Caddies.

Most American movies are shown with their original English soundtrack, but if it's still playing you might want to take in the latest Thai action flick "Tom Yum Goong". It mostly takes place in Australia, so a lot of the dialog is in English.
Aug 24th, 2005, 06:18 PM

carol---no problem with rain...as always the water will part as you walk forward...