Mercure Fortune/Chateau de Bangkok

Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Mercure Fortune/Chateau de Bangkok

Has anyone stayed in Mercure Fortune Hotel in Bangkok before? it used to be Forturne Hotel but has been acquired by ACCOR hotel chain this year.

Read from one of the posts that calling up Chateau de Bangkok personally would guarantee a better rate. But upon calling them, they quoted me 3000+ bahts per nite!!!

Any advice on the above would be great.

Thank you!
Aug 24th, 2005, 07:07 AM

If you want to stay at Chateau de Bangkok, use one of the internet booking sites for a much better price. Sometimes a hotel will match an internet price, but incresinngly, it seems they do not (though they may do so for a frequent guest). There are lots of recommended booking sites that get talked about here on Fodors. Make sure when you compare prices you know whether tax and service (17.7% total) and breakfast are included in the price.
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:08 AM

try the www.huahin.20m.com site for your booking...rates include tax/service and breakfast which can mean substantial savings....i have not found calling the hotel directly ever saved any money in thailand....i believe there are laws about this...last minute deals may be a different story however...

chateau de bangkok is very very well located for tourists...i have heard the fortune name but not sure where it is...accor usually are lower to mid grade hotels except for their sofitel properties which usually are 3.5 to 4 star properties...
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:10 PM

I stayed at Chateau de Bangkok August 2004 and paid 1500 BAht before taxes and 1800+ after taxes for a junior suite with kitchenette. I called the 800 Accor number for the U.S. and got that rate. Happy Travels!
Aug 24th, 2005, 07:12 PM

While the Grand Mercure Fortune is a good 3 star, the Chateau de Bangkok is nicer (4 star) and of course more expensive but not by much. The Fortune is in the north part of Bangkok on Rachadaphisek Rd and away from the more tourist areas. However there is the new subway stop out in front that makes getting around quite easy and the hotel is connected to a large shopping centre. Rates for this years high season are $49 (1890 baht net with breakfast) for a standard room up to 3260 for a deluxe.
The chateau is in a good location off Wireless Rd. and across from the Conrad hotel. It is about a 10 minute walk to the nearest skytrain station but over some very rough payment which can be tricky at night. The cost here for a studio varies from 2471 to 3266 baht depending on the type of room. This is net but no breakfast.
Aug 25th, 2005, 05:22 AM

i did look at the fortune location and while it is near to the subway it is quite far north for most tourist activities.....having stayed at one out of the way place on my last trip i would find that the inconvenience is not worth the hastle....plus i thought the prices were quite high...