Search

Thailand in July???

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand in July???

Hello fellow travelers.

My wife and I, along with another couple, are interested in traveling to Thailand in July. Our concern is the weather as we have read that this is the rainy season for most of the country. We are discussing going to Bangkok, Ko Samui and potentially Chiang Mai.

My question is, has anyone been to Chiang Mai in July that could comment as to their experience? Does the rain ruin the trip? This is truly a concern for us.

Sincerest thanks,
TravelGuy
Old May 10th, 2013, 09:43 AM

If there's a weather front, or lingering storm, then it can get really wet but normally a few hours of rain a day only.
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:22 AM

I've been to Thailand numerous times in July, over he last dozen years. I've never had rain ruin a trip for me. I've run into some pretty heavy downpours at times, and I've waded through some curb-deep rain water before, but I would not say it ruined my trip at all.
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:11 AM

I've been to Thailand in July. We had some rain every day in Bangkok but it passed after a couple of hours. It was sunny in Koh Samui all of the time we were there. In Chiang Mai, there was very little rain. In any case, the rain may slow you down at times but it will not ruin your trip.
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:38 PM

I just did Bangkok and Phuket in August. No real issues with rain. There was rain some days but it often went away and I enjoyed seeing the rain and the city in a different way. I was always hoping for a huge downpour but it never happened.
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:53 AM

My daughter and I were there in July/August in 2004. From the notes I took, I know it rained relatively often, but I can only remember one time that it made any kind of difference at all. We decided to take a taxi rather than walk to the sky train station once cause it was pouring. Other than that, didn't affect our trip or our enjoyment at all. Btw, we were in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui as well as other places. No rain at all in Koh Samui. I'll be back in Bangkok again this August with my boyfriend.
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:02 AM

Well, Thailand in July is basically a rainy month, but little showers and thunders would not ruin a trip. But yes Phuket becomes a bit risky due to rash drivers on wet roads also you won't be allowed to the beaches cox of tides.
If you're a bit adventurous you will not mind the rains and splurge yourself with the drops!
Old May 27th, 2013, 05:09 AM

I traveled in Thailand last summer from July 12-24th and the rain did not ruin the trip. Thailand is amazing and you will have an adventure no matter what the weather is like. I did not however go to the beaches. I could see that if you wanted a Thai beach vacation that the constant rain might be problematic. We started in Bangkok and traveled North to Chiang Mai. While it rained often the sun was often out as well.