women's petite clothing in Thailand

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 10:33 AM
cb

women's petite clothing in Thailand

Does Thailand use the same size numbering as the US ? What size would petite 2's, 3's, and 4's be ? How about shoe size ? What would a 4 and 1/2 wide (C or D) be equivalent to ? Please recommend Bangkok and Chiang Mai moderately-priced stores or shopping malls around the Holiday Crowne Plaza hotel that carry petite sizes. Thanks.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Marilyn

I can help with shoe sizes (sort of). They are completely different from US and they do not correspond to European sizes either! You'll just have to try a few pair on to see what works.

Since Thai women are often petite, you may find regular size clothing fits you well.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Liza

ttt

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Andrea

I'm sorry I can't help, but I couldn't resist replying - I just find it so funny that you can even stay a standard size in the US! One ONE trip to the mall in the US, I was everything from a size 2 at Ann Taylor to an 8 at Nordstrom's!

Seriously though, while I can't remember for certain, I seem to remember that they use the European system. If you're buying for yourself, I think your best bet is the eye-and-try method. If you're buying for someone else, bring lots of measurements (in metric), and be sure to measure around the . . . ahem . . . most generous part of the thighs. Whenever I try on skirts or trousers, the Asian salesladies try to measure me around the waist. I try to explain that's really not the part they need to worry about . . .

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:39 PM
scigirl

I didn't do a lot of clothes shopping in Thailand. However, I did buy one shirt - a 'Polo' button down from a vendor in the mall. I bought a Large and it is a little tight in the shoulders - I wear a 2 in American sizes. "One size fits all" clothing like t-shirts and sarongs also ran smaller than typical in the US. There is no shortage of malls/shopping etc. throughout Bangkok - and I doubt you'll have any problem finding clothes that fit if you small.

In shopping in both Thailand and China I noticed that clothing was cut differently. That is, less fabric in the rear and thighs than American's might normally be used to (or need). You may find that the fit of some off the rack clothing is different than you are used to. It is very reasonable to have custom tailored clothes made in Thailand - maybe you'll have the chance to take advantage of that shopping opportunity during your trip.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:45 AM
xxx

I am a size 2 petite in the US, but I found that Thai clothing fits differently. Like some of the above posters, I found pants and skirts tighter in the hips than I would have liked, and also smaller in the shoulders. It is easy and inexpensive to have clothes made, but make sure that the tailors leave sufficient room in the hips and shoulders for comfort.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:17 AM
cb

Thanks for all your information and advice. Can anyone recommend a dressmaker/tailor ?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:12 PM
karen

sizes are much smaller in thailand...don't believe the size marked...try it on...the best things are custom made...shops are all around..i like the thai silk shop on ground floor near escalator at sheraton end of River City Shopping center---about a 15 minute walk from your hotel--right on the river...go early in your stay so you have time for fittings...bring pictures of what you want or a sample---i have had pants, skirts, shells, blouces, jackets from there...english no problem in this shop..they are very accomodating...i'll be there in november as one of my first stops...other things on ground floor and 2nd floor of this shopping area are quite nice and a small grocery store in the back (away from the river).
good luck

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 03:56 AM
cb

thanks, Karen.