Which airline to SIngapore

Jan 5th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Which airline to SIngapore

I am planning to fly to Singapore from LAX and want to choose between Malaysia, Singapore or United airlines. Can I get both comfort and reasonable price? Please help.
Gloria
Jan 5th, 2004, 05:56 PM

SQ is by far the better airline. flew from sing to narita last oct. fantastic. of course, ual is the worse. there is, or will be, a non-stop from lax to sin. that should be great. i think coach on sq is better than bus. class on ual. don't know too much about mas. however, sq is a few $$. good luck.
Jan 5th, 2004, 06:51 PM

If you fly Business class, you'll get comfort. Coach on any airline is uncomfortable for that length of time. Singapore is advertising the largest seats in coach along with their new non-stop from LA, so that should be best if you are flying coach. I always fly United in Business class (I have lots of frequent flier miles), and they have excellent service trans-pacific. I've flown Singapore Air both coach and business classes within Asia. Even though people rave about Singapore Air, I found its coach class within Asia to be no different from any other coach class. And their Business class within Asia is ok - comparable to any other airline, but not spectacular. I've flown Malaysian Air in First within Asia - WOW! Dom Perginon and a hot duck entree between KL and Singapore.

I'm sorry to say that unless you have frequent flier miles to burn, there is no such thing as cheap and comfortable.
Jan 5th, 2004, 10:53 PM

I would say Singapore Airlines, also they start the Non-Stop LAX-SIN very soon, there were a lot of posts about it.
Jan 6th, 2004, 05:27 AM

No contest-SQ.
Jan 6th, 2004, 07:16 AM

If there is a very big price difference, I would take whatever is cheapest. If they are close in price, then subject to the next sentence, take SQ. My only caveat is that if you are buying the ticket and therefore earning FF miles, than take a look at the various programs. You earn about 12,000 miles going round-trip between LAX and Singapore, and would want to be able to use those miles for future free flights. I am a member of SQ and United programs (and both are part of Star Alliance), but have found it very difficult to redeem SQ points. You need more points to travel on their fights, they have a lot of blackout dates, and they don't have much or any service within the States, so you would have to use your miles for international flights, where you need more points than for domestic flights. Putting 12,000 miles in an SQ account may not get you much later in terms of free flights, and you can't combine this with miles you have in other accounts. If you already have a UA account and have decent amount of miles in it, you may want to buy a UA ticket so you can top up that account. I have always found their FF program very generous and easy to redeem.
Jan 7th, 2004, 11:40 AM

As Cicerone has pointed out: subject to price -

1) Singapore

2) Malaysian

3) UAL

I don't have a love-hate relationship with UAL, it's only hate! I have never been on a UAL flight when something didn't go wrong - lost baggage, late arrival, late departure, rattling overhead bin that threatened to fall on my head anytime during the TransPacific flight, a surly AND aged flight attendant, food poisoning - guess UAL and I are not destined to get along, not in this life, anyhow!

If you are willing to stopover in Hong Kong, Cathay Pacific sometimes has great sales. Cathay Pacific, for me, is second only to Singapore Airlines.
Jan 7th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Do check with Singapore Airlines about their new non stop LAX-Singapore, I read on this forum that someone had heard that Economy/Coach was being designed with only 7 seats across instead of the normal 8 on their new long range A-340-500's, worth checking that and I am sure others would like to know. 18 hrs non-stop means no plane change and I hear they are making extra comfort innovations with those new aircraft that are especially for the new long non-stops.