Where's Bob ?? Carol/anyone know ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where's Bob ?? The Dom Perignon is getting warm !
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:33 AM

JamesA-I just got an E-mail from Bob. He has just returned to BKK after being in Luang Prabang for several days. You could probably contact him by calling the Marriott on the river and asking for Robert Kimball. Good luck.
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:36 AM

Hi James A.,
According to Bob's itinerary, he is at the Bangkok Marriott Resort for the nights of May 29 and 30th. They go by bus to Pattaya on May 31st and will stay there 2 nights (May 31, June 1). On June 2, they are heading to Koh Chang for 4 nights. Hope this helps. I know Bob would be thrilled to get together with you for that bottle of "champers". Cheers!
Old May 31st, 2005, 01:46 AM

i'm on beach road in pattaya fighting off the males and females ---all with too much make-up and false everything if you know what i mean....give me a call....room 268 i think it is...here till thursday am....

we loved bkk as usual and never get enough of it...the marriott riverside (resort and spa)bkk is fantastic, as always....as an example, the pool manager gave us a gift as we left today....a set of hand made knives in a solid stone holder...he is just so sweet as are all the employees....this is why we love this hotel...
haven't had a bad meal yet either....loved the loft at chitlom yesterday for lunch---thanks carol...also she suggested face restaurant on soi 38, sukhumvit which is now going to be one of our regular places---two restaurants--one thai and one indian...

clothes are in process for both of us: monet il sarto for me (male) at marriott mall and js thai silk at river city for karen...jewerly underway as well for karen at thai stone jewerly, nana hotel, soi 4 sukhumvit...karen special treat this time....garnet tennis braclet (her birth stone) with small diamonds in between garnets....ok so i am a fool....

jack has 6 shirts for $80 again for a limited time (money il sarto)....

in pattaya for two days having had four nice days in LP, Laos at the pansea which is the best to be had in LP these days....L'Elephant restaurant in LP the best food by far....don't confuse it with 3 elephants restaurant on "main street"--"farang road" as we and others have done...

off to koh chang on thursday for 4 days and then one nite back in bkk and then 3 nites at phuket at the jw marriott and then back to bkk for 10 days....

have made a reservation for the prasart museum for june 14 and am looking forward to that....thanks kathie

hope everyone is well

pattaya sucks!!!!!!!!! at least so far...now i have confirmed why i stayed away before....the old men and young girls and boys are all over the place...we actually saw a girl practically carrying an old guy (80+) today....sad........ i feel younger every day

bob---karen at pool
Old May 31st, 2005, 02:18 AM

LOL...... pattaya "sucks"... who toght you that word.

well pattaya does "blow".. thats where the old punters go aftrer running out of money in bkk... they're next stop is either cambodia or jail..

if we never see ya again I'll know why.... you've posted your hotel room number and real name on this board already.. not the smartest thing you've done..

Old May 31st, 2005, 02:38 AM
CFW

Bob, Sounds like you are having a fabulous time -- except for Pattaya. I was surprised that you had decided to go there. Did not seem like a place you would like. I am anxious to hear more about LP. Am curious about your reference to the main street as "farang road." Is LP now totally touristy?
Old May 31st, 2005, 02:20 PM

Back on line again, after a 3-day weekend in St Louis. Fun time. Big flea market... sold some of my "stuff" for some good prices! That made me really happy. I'm encouraged to go back to BKK for more.

Bob, glad you liked the Loft and Face for some great food. It is too bad you do not like Pattaya though. Son talks about it and says I need to go there sometime. Shopping is supposed to be good. He likes the Hard Rock Hotel, but he himself has not been there for about a year (maybe more).

Are you hotel hopping when you get back to BKK for 10 days? Are you trying the Pen and/or the Oriental?? You could add your 2 cents in the "big debate" if you do!!! LOL

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Glad it is going well for you. Oh, if you get the chance while on Phuket, try and eat at Mom Tri's Boathouse or Mom Tri's Kitchen, both at Kata. Great food and excellent wine list. I'd love to get someone else's impressions of the places that we love so much (especially the Kitchen at Villa Royale, and of course staying in the villas there!!).

Carol

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:31 AM

though i havent posted on this forum before, i avidly read the tips on bangkok and phuket prior to a trip last month and thought i should thank bob, carol, james and many others for their generosity in sharing their experiences..their tips made for interesting reading and were really helpful..jack at monet il sarto said that bob was in bangkok at the same time my husband and i were visiting last month.. many thanks for the recommendation-my husband's really pleased with his clothes! (BTW, jack offered a combination of 3 egyptian cotton and 3 thai cotton shirts for $100)
we had a brilliant experience at the marriott properties in thailand, between the amazing JW marriott resort and spa in phuket and our time in bangkok, which we divided between the JW on sukhumvit and the resort and spa on the river. i can see why bob's an avowed marriott man!

just wish i'd discovered this forum before a trip to malaysia in february- while the mandarin oriental in KL was fab, ye olde smokehouse at the cameron highlands was totally dismal. it's to be avoided at all costs- a complete rip-off, with shabby, musty-smelling furniture, depressing decor and poor service.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 03:03 AM

clove---glad to help and always glad to hear that people have been able to use my humble non-biased remarks---my wife is laughing right out loud with this remark as she looks over my shoulders...
the marriott as special...

we will not do penn this trip...their prices continue to soar and with 32 nites to pay for it was not in the cards and we do love the marriott riverside....

james...you never knocked or phones...and orgy was dragged away by the police....

i have calmed down a bit on pattaya....it is not totally bad, but not good either....we did some touring around today and like it a bit better, but the beach road is a mess....we had a nice dinner on a pier off of the walking street last nite with super fresh fish....about 2000 B for 4....

jotiem beach is much nicer in every way than is pattaya...much quieter and a better beach and waves which we like...not nearly so built up although in 5 years it will be pattaya but mostly condos... please NOTE MY NY/SWISS FRIEND..... i have softened from yesterday on this area but still
think that it is not for you two and especially the husband....decent restaurants however....you have to pick and choose....lots of german offerings here....

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 03:42 AM
ccc

Bob, Am curious as to why you and your wife used different tailors. Can monet il sarto not do women's clothes? or just not do them as well?
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 04:32 AM

Bob-- always good to hear your reports. Not surprised about Pattaya -- it was awful 20 years ago and I suspect it has only gotten worse. Hope you like the Prasart Musuem as much as I did. Just remember not to ask Ratt to take you. Are you using ratt this trip at all? if so, say hi and tell her I'm looking forward to seeing her in January.
So you would say 3 full days would be fine in LP? Would you stay longer if you have a strong interest in textiles.
Glad you liked the marriott as much as in the past. I do believe that the relationship one creates with the staff is really what makes a hotel experience a special one.

Gloria
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:55 AM

Bob,
Glad you are checking in with "us" once again. Your reports are fun to read, and they always remind me of the great times I have in BKK and around Thailand.

What's this about orgy7 and the police??? Maybe he is hanging out on soi4 at the Brunswick, or hiding under Victory Monument???

Have fun! Stay healthy and safe...
Carol
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:17 AM

(Gloria, I'll slip in with an opinion, as you know I'm not shy! I loved LP and spent a week there. You can "see" the attractions in just a few days, but the atmosphere is lovely and well worth savoring, in my opionon. If you are interested in textiles then you know some about the famed silk weavings. And, yes, you would be rewarded with a bit more time. I am also quite interested in the textiles and bought many. I have a dear friend who is an expert in textiles, and she gave me instructions about what she wanted. It was great - I had the opportunity to shop for two textile lovers!)
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:44 AM

Hi Bob...Glad everything is going well. Have a ball....It's all about the SANUK! Happy Travels!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:13 PM

Kathie-- I had always figured I would want about 5 days. I never like to rush around and I do like to get the feel of a place. So maybe I'll stick with my original plan -- won't be this next trip anyway.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 01:05 PM

Kathie, any advice you can give us on where to buy textiles would be appreciated. My wife loves to have clothing custom-made with the textiles she provides.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 02:04 PM

Craig, these aren't especially textiles you'd have clothing made out of. They are exquisite hand-woven heavy silks. They can be used as wall-hangings or make a stunning shawl. That said, when I was in KL recently, I purchased a unique top that was made from one of these weavings. You'll occasionally see these weavings incorporated into "wearable art" type clothing.

The "best" place to purchase, in my experience is at the weavers co-op in the weaving village right outside LP. The best quality weavings are double-sided, that is, both side look finished, no hanging threads, knots, etc. visible.

There is a very expensive place in town that carries weavings made locally, but designed by a western woman for "western" tastes. The prices here are 5x the prices in the weaving village. persoanlly, I preferred the traditional colors and patterns.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 04:00 PM

i think that Bob is in Koh Chang by now. I pray that it all goes great there since that is the part i had a part in, and i dont want to see a post from him saying this place sucks!