Where would you go?

Jan 16th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Jen

Where would you go?

My husband just announced that he gets a week off for Chinese New Year and now we're trying to decide where we should travel to!

Some background: we live in Malaysia, so many places in Asia aren't that far away for us, and airfares are reasonable. We live on the coast at a gorgeous condo - which is to say that if we wanted to lie in the sun and vegetate we'd just stay home. We'd like somewhere that we can combine a bit of relaxation with sightseeing. And we'd like to do something not too low budget, but not way expensive, either.

The week off is from February 11-18, so we're short on time!

I haven't been to any other country in SE Asia yet; my husband lived in Aceh as a teenager and has been to Singapore lots, years ago, but that's it.

Oh, and Thailand can wait. We're not in a hurry to go there.

Bali? Cambodia? Taiwan (I have a friend there, but is there much else worth seeing?)? How expensive are the Maldives (we'd do a beach/sun thing if there's diving or snorkelling involved)? Any other ideas? Anything? I'm overwhelmed by the possibilities!

Jan 16th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Jay

If you've never been to China, why not consider China to experience the atmosphere of Chinese New Year? Taiwan, one of the choices you mentioned, is not a bad choice at all! You can also consider other places such as Hong Kong, Beijing, or Shanghai. If you have about 1 week time, you can pick 2 cities and split your time between them. For example, if you live in Malaysia, a trip to Hong Kong and Taipei is one possibility. They're relatively close to Malaysia (3 to 4 hour flight; HK-Taipei about an hour) and both cities can be done in about 3/4 days.

Jan 17th, 2002, 02:43 AM
bet

Try the Maldives!

In a few years time, there won't be any maldive because of rising sea level.

Taiwan can wait, its still a BIG island, plus HK/TW during CNY will be quite with shops close.

Jan 17th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Pat

Actually in HK (not sure about Taiwan), there will be lots of special activities during the New Year Period in order to attract the tourists to visit the city. Shops will close for the first day or two of the New Year, but it will have extended hours before that.

Jan 17th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Michael From New York

Please keep in mind that Chinese New Year is 'peak' season. Most resorts and airplane travel in Asia is higher priced. My friend is traveling from HK to Bangkok and on to Phuket for that week. And she reported higher ticket prices between 9 Feb and 17 Feb. Maybe fares are less a few days earlier and a few days later.

Michael From New York

Jan 17th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Kathie

Jen, I'd recommend going to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat. I'm just back from there, and have to say it is incredible. I've traveled extensively in SE Asia, and it is now one of my two favorite places there. A week is about right for visiting Angkor, as there are many temples in the area. I found that I enjoyed the smaller, unrestored temples the most. I have lots of info, so if you are interested, do email me.

Jan 17th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Jen

Thanks so much for your responses everybody! I will definitely keep all this information in mind for the future.

As it turns out, my husband decided that he might take an extra week off so we can go home for a visit, which at the moment excites me more than any other possibility. It's a year today since we moved to Malaysia and I miss my family so much! I'm so excited!

Yep, that's the life of an expat - you work in the tropics, and you go home for vacation!

Kathie, I will definitely be asking for more info on Angkor Wat one of these days because I WILL go before we move from SE Asia! It's on my must-see list.

Thanks again everyone!

Jen

Jan 17th, 2002, 07:18 PM
John G

Kathie, I would like to travel to Cambodia this year to visit Ankor Wat. But, I would also like to visit the Ballet School that is under the tutelage of Prince Norodom Sianouk. Do you know how I go about getting to visit this school? Have you visited it? I hear that they sometimes perform at Ankor Wat.

Jan 18th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Kathie

I believe the ballet school is in PP, and I was only in Siem Reap.

They do perform at Angkor Wat. We were invited to a performance at the temple, but it was for the night after we were leaving, unfortunately. You can see some traditional dance in Siem Reap.

Jan 19th, 2002, 11:27 PM
Laura

Bali is beautiful. I understand Hong Kong (and I imagine most of China) closes down for New Years - even the street vendors do not come out. You should investigate this.

Search this Thread