where to stay in Tokyo

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

where to stay in Tokyo

We will be in Japan for the first time May 6-11th. Wanted some first hand advice from travellers as to where to stay. Our basic requirements are below.

We will be landing at NRT and on the 11th we will need to go to OSAKA from Tokyo Station.

Which district will we find the most reasonable shopping (handicrafts/japanese silk bedspread)/eating.
I guess somewhere where you can find amenties similar to Manhattan.
Any ideas welcomed.

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 09:10 PM

i have been to japan recently and according to the locals you can buy reasonably priced goods in Ueno.
Ginza, Akihabara,Shinjuku,Shibuya,Harajaku tend to be expensive.

If you want feel like you are in modern japan, i would say you should stay in Shinjuku(comparable with manhanttan).
Try finding a hotel on shinjuku west side, as the east side is the entertainment district. or you can find cheaper accomodation is Asakusa area.

no matter where you stay,
you can go to tokyo station from anywhere easily via JR Yamanote line or
via the subways.

- Reddy

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 08:37 AM

Just a couple ideas for you
1. Reasonable/business type hotels:
www.japanhotel.net
2. Info on travel to Japan:
www.About.com click on site index
"j", click on Japan for Visitors
3. More info on Japan travel:
Japan.co.jp
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:24 PM

I recommend either the Tokyo Station Hotel (small and difficult to get in, especially at this late date), or Hotel Monterrey Ginza (a short cab ride from Tokyo Station). You cant beat either of these for the location in/near the Ginza, and surprisingly both are very reasonable.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 11:31 PM

I would suggest the Ginza district near Tokyo station. We just got back from Japan today and did alot of "schepping" of our bags through train stations with no elevator and lots of stairs. If you're not the type to pack light then I think you'll want as short a cap ride as possible to Tokyo station rather than having to make train/subway connections with all your bags in tow.

Besides, the Ginza is a lovely area. Then, during the daytime, without your bags you can visit any other areas easily and quickly using the subways/trains.
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:21 PM

I just arrived yesterday in Tokyo and am staying at one of the nicest hotels anywhere in the world.

The Hotel Seiyo Ginza is a 5 star plus hotel! I have stayed in many 5 stars before and this is in the top 3.

I got a rate from Travelocity of 32,000 yen and it is well worth it. Much nicer than hotels much higher. That price was for a King Bed and a Suite. It is western sized not Japanese size.

The service is out of this world! Over 200 employees for 70 guests max. It is located minutes from Tokyo Station 700 yen cab ride or you could walk (1 mile or less). It is in the Ginza district convenient to shopping and everything else via subways and trains. The Hotel is very quiet also.