Where to go

Mar 24th, 2018, 12:23 AM
Original Poster

Where to go

I am lookin for your advice. I have about 3 weeks at the late September. I am interested in authentic culture and relegion , less beaches and relaxation.
I have been at northen india. My options are South India (Kerala&Tamil Nadu), Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia &Laos. Your recommendations?
Mar 24th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

I am mainly interested in the local culture and "authentic" religious ceremonies and less interested in long time relaxing (such as beaches and meditation). At my previous trip I visited and was amazed by Amritsar (Sikh), Spitti( Bhudist) and Varanasi (Hindu). As for now I hope that Kerala and Tamil Nadu (states which preserved their authentic culture) can provide me a vibrant expereince as well. The question is , should I go to another country, such as Cambodia/Laos, Philippines and Vietnam. As far as I know, those options are less intense than India in the cultural point. Moreover, I enjoyed the people of India and for instance as far as I read, locals in Vietnamese cities are not as nice. Cambodia/Laos are less packed with attractions and far less "intense" culturally speaking.
And still the question is - where to go?
Am I wrong with what I know about other countries?
Thank you
Mar 24th, 2018, 06:45 PM

While few places in the world are as intense as India, we also loved our experiences in Vietnam which has much to offer. It is hard to say which country would be more suitable for you. We loved the Tamil Nadu area, but were less enchanted with the coastal region of Kerala. The tea plantations of Munar were beautiful, but IMO only worth a day or two. You should really go to your local library or book store to do a bit of research to determine which calls to you more.
Mar 25th, 2018, 06:48 AM

It sounds like religion is one of your main interests. Given that I'd eliminate VN as an option. While a fascinating place, it has much less to offer than other SE Asia countries in terms of religion.

Places which will give you more of this: Sri Lanka, Nepal, Indonesia Jjava and Bali) Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia. Thailand is a good option if you get more off the tourist track.

Spend some time with guidebooks to help give you a sense of your options. You might find our photos of SE Asia useful: www.marlandc.com
Mar 25th, 2018, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by dgunbug View Post
While few places in the world are as intense as India, we also loved our experiences in Vietnam which has much to offer. It is hard to say which country would be more suitable for you. We loved the Tamil Nadu area, but were less enchanted with the coastal region of Kerala. The tea plantations of Munar were beautiful, but IMO only worth a day or two. You should really go to your local library or book store to do a bit of research to determine which calls to you more.
Thanks for the advice, it's one of the countries I'd like to visit very much. It's still far that I can go, first I want to go through some European countries, but I'll look at the information as you say
Mar 26th, 2018, 12:50 AM

I will suggest you to visit Laos located in south East Asia. You will get to explore different religion, culture and their living. The country is no so luxurious; it is the ancient royal country with beautiful Buddhist temples and ancient historical scenes. People in Laos follow Buddhist religion, their culture and living is very different. Lao’s people are very simple living, down to earth, you will mostly find people on tuk-tuk and bicycles. Vientiane is the capital of Laos. There numerous place you should visit in Laos:

Viewpoint Nong Khiaw/Ban Sop Houn in Nong Khiaw

The Living Land Company in Luang Prabang

Elephant Conservation Center in Sayaboury

Kuang Si Falls Butterfly Park in Luang Prabang

COPE Visitor Centre in Vientiane
Mar 26th, 2018, 04:11 AM

Philippines is about 86% Christian, by the way.

Late September you might encounter some weather issues. But since beach activities are not that important you can still visit and fit in the outside activities when you can.

Cambodia and Laos you might be able to experience some of the things you are looking for. Probably spend more in Cambodia and visit nearby Laos for some variation.

A printed travel guide will give you some guidance.

Good luck.
Mar 26th, 2018, 04:19 AM

Look into Sri Lanka while you are doing your research.
Sri Lanka Religion - Religion in Srilanka

Good luck.
Mar 28th, 2018, 08:48 PM

You may research on Tribal areas of Central India, including Jharkhand & Chattisgarh. There are also pockets of tribal areas in the North-East, that is Assam & Nagaland. If I am able to lay my hands on some related info/literature, I shall be very glad to share. I have been to some of these areas but primarily to the National Parks and have seen glimpses of Tribal culture in the areas close to such parks.
Happy & safe travels!
Apr 5th, 2018, 08:40 PM

check these places while in Delhi.

hello I'm "sort of" anonymous, I like to visit new places every weekend , I'm delhiites so obiously i've been to many places in Delhi. I want to explore new places which should be peaceful too.

If you know any hidden place in Delhi please let me know about the place.

Thank you! btw if you're the one who is looking for a peaceful place then I would recommend you to go to Okhla Bird Centuary in Okhla, nearest metro station is Okhla Bird Centuary near Kalindi kunj.

Thank you!
Apr 6th, 2018, 09:49 PM

According to me, you should go to South India.you enjoy here many cultural activities, religious activities etc.
Apr 6th, 2018, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kartikparik View Post
According to me, you should go to South India.you enjoy here many cultural activities, religious activities etc.
Thank you. Do you think that weather in September will allow to enjoy South India?
Apr 9th, 2018, 05:10 AM

Hello,

I think if you want to visit south part of India, then you must visit at these destinations:-
  • Munnar

• Tirupati

• Rameshwaram

• Mysore

• Madurai

• Hampi

As these destinations are Historical & cultural Heritage of south india and these destinations are must visit place of south india.
Apr 27th, 2018, 08:43 AM

I agree with Kartikparik. If you liked the religious fervor of Varanasi, then your best choice is South India (Kerala and Tamil Nadu for example). September is not the best period however. But you can still travel there
May 1st, 2018, 09:13 PM

Decisions - Decisions

Hi there. Well if your into temples Tamil Nadu and Kampuchea are the places, and it's hard to argue against Varanasi, the ONLY place I visit each time i go to India. However, i'm bias, so come to Kampuchea, especially so over Sept & Oct, when we have two MAJOR festivals. P 'Áhum Ben, festival of the dead, a real big deal and Bon Om Tuk, the water festival. Also, it's still relatively inexpensive and, in my opinion, it's the easiest place within the region to observe, as closely as one can hope to in the 21st century, an authentic way of life. The vast majority of the population still live in villages, and there lifestyle is still centered on the local Pagoda and religion.
. If you need more get in touch..
Have a safe day. .
May 2nd, 2018, 05:07 AM

Kerala has an unending rundown of visitor goals that will intrigue any voyager. Famous for its scenic areas and common magnificence, Kerala is certain to captivate any nature lover with its slopes, backwaters, shorelines, waterfalls, and wildlife.