Where would you go next in Asia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been to Japan, China, and Hong Kong. Where would you go next in Asia and why?
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM

It sounds like you have gone to more developed areas in Northern Asia....therefore, I would suggest you try less urban destinations in SouthEast asia such as Cambodia and Bali. Very, very differnet culturally than those places you have already been.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:10 PM

You have all of SE Asia left to explore! I'd start with Thailand, it's a lovely country with warm, welcoming people and a well-developed infrastructure.

Cambodia, Laos, VN, Malaysia, Indonesia, SIngapore, all are worthwile destinations and very different from what you've experienced.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:35 PM

I third that recommendation!

"Go to Angkor my friend, to its ruins, to its dreams."

Also Vietnam.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM

Punkyl44

You haven’t given enough info.

What interests you?

What time of year do you plan to travel?

How long will your trip be?

India seems like a good choice, but time is needed to experience India, it's absolutely not a 2-week holiday destination.

Thailand is a great choice for an easy 2-week holiday, though some (me) find it a bit boring. (in comparison to India)
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:13 AM

Vietnam was fantastic for me because of hiking, shoping, EATING! culture....
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:52 AM

Thailand or Vietnam.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:26 AM

Depends what you want to do/see and how you like to travel. How did you visit the countries you mention? Are you independent folk or do you do the tour thing?

Thailand is a doddle either way and I think BKK is one of the easier "must sees" to visit before you drop off the perch. There are many more in Cambodia, Laos, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia. I've never been to Vietnam. And Burma is off the list.

What are your must haves? - 5* accommodation, great beaches, awesome architecture, fascinating history? And do you want it all laid on for you or are you an "explorer"?

Not possible to recommend without these essential facts about you.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

We are independent travelers - definitely no tours unless absolutely necessary.

We are "explorers," but generally like to book our accommodations and have our itinerary set before hand to maximize our time. We love beaches, but to be honest whenever we go to a great resort we end up spending more time exploring then enjoying the resort. We love fascinating history. We like to see and experience everything. We don't mind renting a car or just wandering around in a city.

I guess ideally we want to go somewhere with great history, a lot to see, and maybe work in a few days of R&R.

I will have no more than 2 weeks. I may try and schedule a visit with my brother who will be in Japan on route for a day or two or have him meet us somewhere.

I was thinking Thailand. Maybe this will be the best option. What would you recommend with, say, 10 days total? We probably would be travelling in late October, Early November. How many days do we need in BKK and where else would you visit in that time?

BTW India is high on my list of places to visit, but we felt as though we would need more time to really experience it.

Does anyone ever feel that there are just too many places to go and not enough time, so the decision seems that much harder?
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:32 AM

With just 10 days total, I'd choose two locations, Bangkok should be one. It depends on what you want to do with the rest of your time, but you could choose northern Thailand (Chaing Mai, Chaing Rai or Mae Hong Son) or a beach area if you wanted to stay in Thailand. Another option would be to combine time in Bangkok with a trip to Siem Reap, Cambodia to see the Temples of Angkor.

Which ever you choose, I'd recommend time at the begining and end in Bangkok. There is so much to do and see there - consider it your first trip to Thailand, not your only trip.