When to visit Angkor Wat

Search

When to visit Angkor Wat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to visit Angkor Wat

We are able to choose from 2 time periods. Help me sort the advantages and disadvantages to make the choice easier (hopefully).

December 23, 2006 - January 8, 2007
12/23 Depart KIX 1:25 am, arrive Chiang Mai 7:30 am or so (or possibly exchange CNX for Koh Lanta/Krabi, not decided)
12/29 CNX - BKK - REP
1/5 REP - BKK
1/8 11:59 PM departure for KIX arrive KIX 1/9 in the early AM

Plusses - it's sooner, weather is better, it's sooner
Minuses - peak season prices are higher, miss another holiday season with family in the states (but we'll have just been there in August 2006)

Option 2
August 2007
itinerary unclear, but would likely include 1 week Chiang Mai, a few days Pai/Chaing Dao, 1 week Siem Reap, another go at elephant camp, BKK

Plusses - time for Teaghan and I is 1 month, but for my husband only 2 weeks (so this is a minus too), low season rates are lower for hotels, plenty plenty of planning time, Rich's sister and family just may join us for a couple of weeks (big big maybe).

Minuses - airfare out of Japan is highest of the year, so the KIX - BKK - KIX will cost us plenty, weather (though we've been twice in August before and it's been fine for us), it's really really future and I'm not patient, Koh Lanta/Krabi is not really in the picture for this month and we are interested to go there.

What am I missing that makes the decision a no brainer?

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Kim, I was at Angkor in 2001. I know it's changed a lot since then (I'll go back one of these days and see just how much...). My sense with Angkor is the sooner you can go the better. It's really hot, and you feel the heat being out in it all day climbing the ruins, so if you can go when it's even a bit cooler (Dec) you are better off. None of these decisions are no-brainers - there are all kinds of complex considerations. I'd vote for Dec/Jan though.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 06:52 PM

i went in december (beginning of) and it was plenty hot as well...hotter than thailand..

myself i would stay away from the end of year holiday time if i could...prices for everything will be much more...how much more can the airfares be??

get to HK and take bkk air??

by having a week you can go slower and your daughter will be able to spend more pool time...

chance of having family along might be nice, and mother daughter time is nice in a familiar place like CM
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughts. We're still undecided as yet. The longer time for Teaghan and I in August 2007 seems to be weighing in heavily right now.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM

I have been there twice, most recently last month. On my first visit I went in October. The weather was more tolerable in October than late April.
Even though it was crazy hot and humid, I don't even think about that much. It is an amazing place, which is changing quickly. It was very different from my first visit in october 2003 until april 2006
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:35 PM

Kim:

Go for the dec/jan....because it's SOONER!

Then you still have plenty of time to plan the Aug '07 dates with something else

oh ko a third option

Aloha!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:54 PM

i agree with ht that the patience factor makes it a no-brainer

i was at Angkor Wat at the beginning of January and it was hot, but not really that bad and not oppressively humid

You'll still have the 2wks as family + 2wks with T next Aug even if you don't go to Thailand/Cambodge

otoh, what would the option be for december? if fare is high in Aug, then might be a good use of miles.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input! How I wish I could go now, right now!

Well, it's one trip in Asia between now and Christmas 2007. If we go Siem Reap this December, next summer will default to America as will Christmas 2007 as we haven't had a US Christmas in a few years.

If we wait and go in summer 2007, we will have the longer time and perhaps won't go anywhere at all this Christmas, as we will be in the states this coming August. That would save us a lot of money.

We went to BKK on miles this past trip and the NWA schedule cost us a day on each side of the trip. When we go, we will fly Thai Air and earn miles on Thai Air, but we don't have enough miles on Star Alliance for freebies now. We will be paying for the tickets regardless of when we go for the convenience of a schedule that maximizes out time NOT en route.

I'm such an immediate gratification person and would love to go THIS August, but we're booked to the states for Rich to see his mother for the first time in a year, and for me to see my grandmother age 84 survived a major heart attack from blockages of 5 major coronory arteries and subsequent bypass surgery for repairing the 2 mmost important of those...she's now at home, and doing monitored exercise cardiac rehab 3 times a week and feels very good.

It also might be a good idea to save a bit of money first, buy the new car we need and exercise a bit of restraint...

I wish it could be both December and August, but it can't, and I think we've decided on August, with 2 weeks for Rich and 4 weeks for Teaghan and I.