l.-zambezi/s.luangwa first half of nov???

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 02:56 PM
pippa13

l.-zambezi/s.luangwa first half of nov???

we know these areas from ealier trips - but only at the beginning of the season: june.
of course the weather pattern has changed and nothing is as unpredictable as the weather.
but based on your experiences i would highly appreciate your advise.

thx a lot in advance!

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was there at the end of October 2005 and we had 1 rainstorm. I think 2006 the rains came early, 2007 the rains came later. As you say nothing is predictable. Some of the lodges do close up Oct. 31 for the season. (Kaingo, Nsefu, Tena Tena and some others)
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 04:24 AM
pippa13

thx matnikstym.
we are going to stay at the new sanctuary camps.
i know it's supposed to be extremly hot but dry in oct and sincerely HOPE it won't get humid and hot in nov which would be deadly

aloha!!

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 06:01 AM

Hot and humid in both instances. If you are going with Sanctuary, it will still be hot and humid, are they offering a special late season discount?
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:20 AM
pippa13

@mkhonzo
thx for your post.

they have a year round special for 2008 - it's something like 4 for 3 or 7 for 6.

now i hope you won't be right regarding the weather ;-)

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:42 AM
lbj

October, Zambia especially, will be
humid.....

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:50 AM
pippa13

thx ibj
when we visited in june and asked for oct average we were told by RPS it's HOT HOT but dry.....shame seems we have to stand whatever is coming....

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:52 AM
sniktawk

As Manikstym says most camps close at the end of October. This is normally when the roads in the area become unusable, I am surprised that Sanctuary Camps are open, but perhaps they are in areas without so much black cotton soil.

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:01 AM
lbj

When they say dry, they mean that it is unlikely to rain. Though the days are characterized by a massive build up of clouds and humudity in the afternoon, without actually raining.

Having worked there, just my 2 cents worth.

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:03 AM
lbj

Sanctuary have the benefit of the all weather road that was purpose built for Chichele. A similar subsequent system is in place round the Mfuwe area to allow for year round access. With a number of bridges too, they are not cut off like those in other areas.

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:07 AM

pippa~What camps will you be staying at? I've stayed at Puku Ridge and really enjoyed it, (don't know what they could have done to improve it while it was closed for renovations.) I wouldn't recommend Chichele unless you like a hotel atmosphere.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:18 AM
pippa13

@ matnikstym
glad to hear that! we have decided on puku instead of chichele for the very same reason you mention.
safari as we understand it means TENT wherever possible.
we do sussi, puku and kulefu and afterwards we stay at vic falls hotel and further for 4 nts to the hide.
keep my fingers crossed that there is no riots in zim and they have sorted out everything - people deserve it - long time overdue.

thx for your post!

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 12:18 PM
pippa13

@lbj
thank you.
that sounds appelling....

in view to sightings - guess before the big rains it's suppused to be good. isn't it?

anyway - we have been to southern and east africa a lot of times to all kinds of seasons and did never had a real set back except etosha after torrential rains. but namibia anywas was not meant to be a "safari destination" animals wise compared to BOT.
anyway - A safari is better than none ;-);-)

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Zambia October = Suicide Month
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 01:12 PM
pippa13

hi luangwablondes
that sound rather scary.............
we have been to bot a lot in oct....is there such a huge difference and have you got an explanation why?
would be very curious about geographical facts and impacts. right now i am amazed - obviously the difference is huge....

thanks for posting - and i hope nov08 will be not THAT bad ;-) maybe the global warming is taking a part in to an outstanding gentle hot season....;-)

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM

The hot, humid air moves into this region normally prior to the rains. There maybe some lite sprinkling type rains in the latter part of the month. Come November, it is at its worse till the 1st good rain cools down the area a few degrees. In November the bush camps not on the all season tracks pack it in till next year. They just need to get out before the sun baked black cotton soils absorbs enough water to turn it into snot. Lower Zambezi is especially hot and humid at this time. I really haven't asked about the reason for this, but suspect that this is the result of both the Luangwa and Lower Zambezi are in a valley or below the escarpments.

I did a safari many years ago which included Chikwenya in late October. The heat and humidity was near unbearable. There is no relief come nightfall either. NLNP and SLNP are not quite so bad comparably. The upside is till the 1st rains, gameviewing was excellent everytime for me.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Pippa~to give you some idea of the temps-one day towards the end of October we went to Chipembele Wildlife Education Center during the afternoon and it was 113F (45C)
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 09:03 PM

Oh yes, about the time you are ready to leave, you get used to it...... well, just a little anyway.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM
pippa13

thx a lot for your posts!

great info but rather bad outlook

cross my fingers that's not going to be too bad/humid as i hope for lots of animal action prior to the rains after a long dry season.
i am really looking forward to that experience.

will post here after return ;-)