When to buy tix from BKK-Krabi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Thailand from November 23-Dec 11. We will be going to BKK-and then the Krabi area. When should we book our flights from BKK-Krabi? Is it cheaper to buy the flights when we get to BKK? Will they be sold out? I have just reserved the hotel rooms so we have our itinerary set-we just need to figure out the tiny details now.

Thanks in advance for your assistance! This board has been extremely helpful with my planning!!!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:06 AM

I'd buy those tickets as soon as possible. There are very limited flights in and out of Krabi.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:34 PM

With the budget airlines, ( for krabi that's Thai Air Asia ) the earlier you book the cheaper the fare, as they sell off the cheapest seats they go up in a graduated scale.

Do note that Thai has far more flights.

It is a budy time of year as Kathie said, decide first if you want to go full service or budget carrier, Friday afternoon and evening down and Sunday heading back are particularly busy.

www.airasia.com
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:16 PM

buy now.... mini fodors GTg in bkk on nov 25...any interest??
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I will look into arranging for the flights now.

To rhkkmk-
I have gotten so many useful tidbits of information from your postings. Thank you very much. I would be interested in meeting up on the November 25th. I don't know exactly what our plans are for sightseeing yet but would like to try to attend. Do you have any specifics yet? Please let me know when you do. =) Thanks!
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info Kathie and JamesA. Is there a difference between full service and budget for a little over an hour plane ride? I just priced out Air Asia and its around $20 a person one way...which seems very reasonable. Does it matter which airline we fly? Which one do you recommend? Thanks!
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Do check the 'add ons', make sure when you see a fare of about USD 20 to continue along ( until they want credit card ) to find the 'full' amount.

I think the bottom line is, the budget airlines offer superb value for money, but to do this they have to use their aircraft on a very high frequency with short turn-arounds, delays can happen, if you get a few hours delay shrug it off, you've same a load of bucks, but i think we all agree that if you are heading back to bangkok for an international connection using a budget carrier fly the day before or allow a real long connection.

Remember you can always book one way on a budget carrier at a time when any delay will not disrout your plans and then book Thai on a sector where you need to keep to a more fixed schedule.

Service wise budget is budget, relaxed, easy going, no worries.

Just be sure that $20 doesn't become $50 with the add ons!!
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 03:58 PM

If you want a simple list and their websites

www.beachsiam.com/thailand.html gives the airline websites and which are budget/low cost/full service.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:42 PM

As James notes, Air Asia is likely to be much more than $20 after fees are added. Some people love the budget airlines, others wouldn't fly them if paid to do so. The budget airlines typically have very restrictive luggage limits and they charge for every kilo over. They have a no refund policy, so if you miss your flight, or if they change the flight by hours and you can't make the flight, you are out the money. If you fly Thai, tickets are typically changeable, and if you miss a flight, they will put you on the next one.