What to wear in November @ Tokyo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2015, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! Im from Malaysia (which i believe most of u guys knew that our temperature are averagely hot all year round) so i cant really find the right explanation on what to wear in Tokyo during Autumn. Currently if based on Accuweather, seems that it'll be cloudy (November 16th onwards) and the temperature are from 20'c to 10'c. The problem is, i do not know how cold is 20'c and 10'c... Hope you guys can spare some advise on the clothing tips. Thanks!

by the way, i'll be travelling with my 2 kids - 5 year old and 2 year old. Worried they might catch cold.
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 07:36 AM

I'm from a climate more similar to Japan than to Malaysia, and I was fine with a light jacket in November. You and your children may want layers of clothing to help you cope with the temperature change. So a light long-sleeved shirt plus a cardigan and a jacket as needed should take care of you. You may want a scarf to put around your neck, as it will help you stay warm.
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 01:48 PM

Something like this (this is NOT an endorsement of the product):

http://www.vineyardvines.com/womens-...004950902.html
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 05:23 PM
kja

Interesting dilemma, Affaz!

I second Kathie's recommendation to bring lightweight things that can be layered. When I travel, I always take a silk scarf and a pair of silk gloves (usually "liner" gloves) -- I'm always amazed at what a difference these few and VERY lightweight items can make when the weather is colder than I expected! I sometimes bring 180s, too, because I hate having cold ears. Oh, and DO bring socks that will keep your feet warm -- maybe wool socks with silk or other whisking liners. Other things I take if there is ANY chance of cold weather are silk long johns and silk base layer tops or turtlenecks. And while BigRuss's suggestion of a long-sleeved fleece top is worth considering, you might instead consider fleece vests -- for many people, a fleece vest over a silk base layer top or turtleneck is more than enough to keep your "core" warm, without risking being too hot with a long-sleeved fleece top.

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 06:18 PM

We were there in December and also in March, which was similar to November -- mostly very comfortable but sometimes chilly at night. I would take something like a denim jacket and also the fleece, as well as hoodies for the kids. If it becomes unseasonably cold, you can go to Uniqlo in Tokyo and buy ultra light down jackets for both adults and kids at an excellent price. Those are what everyone was wearing at night in March.

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/wom...et-078826.html
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 06:24 PM

Here's the kids' jacket. All the lightweight down jackets fit into tiny pouches. Make sure you get jackets rather than parkas, which will be too heavy.

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/gir...dded/jackets/~
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 07:31 PM

A light jacket and perhaps a light pair of gloves will serve you fine. 15 degrees Celsius is roughly 62 degrees Fahrenheit, which is a wonderfully pleasant afternoon temperature for walking around and sightseeing. Depending on where else besides Tokyo you go, it could be a little chilly. Matsumoto, Kamikochi and other alpine regions were chilly for those not accumstomed to temperatures around -5 to 5 degrees Celsuis, but both Tokyo and Kyoto had delightful weather. albeith with occasional showers. Bring an umbrella, of course. But my experience with traveling to Japan in Nov. 2013 was that it was the PERFECT weather for sightseeing.