Search

weather in November

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 05:41 AM
AL

weather in November

I'm planning to have a 3 week vacation from mid November till early December but I'm not too sure what sort of clothing I have to pack. I'll be going to both Islands.Does anyone have any ideas?

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Kerry

Hi Al<BR>Weather in NZ mid November to December. Well we are right into the spring equinox weather pattern with west to north westerly wind and fronts that come from the west bring showers and long fine periods. So in your 2/3 weeks you will need to have some sort of waterproof jacket because you will have about 5 or 6 days on which it rains. As to the temperature the present temperature range in the North island is an overnight low of 10 degrees C (50 F) and a day time high of 20 degrees C (70 F). Inthe South Island they are currently experiencing more like an overnight low 56 F and a high of 75F. These temperatures are likely to continue through to December.<BR><BR>CLOTHING - at the present moment in the sunny Bay of Plenty at 1pm I'm sitting typing in shorts and my Winter Park Resort tee shirt and we would have 70F. So in the North Island and most of the South Island pack a pair of slack, jeans, shorts, polo shirts a couple of tee shirts,a long sleeved shirt and tidy jersey, a couple of sweatshirts, hiking boots, sneakers &amp; a pair of casual shoes for eating out. We tend not to heat our homes especially at this time of the year so be bring something, jersey or sweat shirt that you can pop on in the evening. <BR>Unless you are at a top hotel or formal dining, I don't think you would need a jacket but I usually take a blaser that I can wear with an open necked shirt but if you are at Huka Lodge or similar you will need a jacket, slacks and tie.<BR>Don't forget your swiming trunks for use in hot pools or going sailing. And yes do pack your sun block because the ultraviolet rays are rather strong here and you will need a sun hat or cap and hopefully sun glasses.<BR><BR>As a rough indicator think of spring in Pacific Coast Oregon - its that sort of weather and temperatures.<BR>Regards<BR>Kerry

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Kerry

Hi Al<BR>I just had a thought. I had assumed that Al was a male! If not then my apologies and I hope you can make the translation.<BR><BR>I can assure you that, despite the dual use of the name, Kerry is a Kiwi male.<BR>Kerry

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:11 AM
AL

Thank you, Kerry for the feed back. Could you translate the temperature into celsius?and,yes, your hunch is right AL is of the feminine gender.Would a cardigan suffice or would it be necessary to take along a winter jacket?

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:24 PM
AL

Would it be too cold to wear sandals at this time of year? Also do we need gloves and other winter clothing if we were to take a heli-ride to the glaciers?Would the helicopter companies provide warm clothing if we are not sufficiently clothed?

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:22 AM
Kerry

Hi Al<BR><BR>I certainly screwing up today! I also assumed that you were American hence the degrees F. We have been using centigrade here of about 30 years and most people would not have any idea of what the temperature would be in degrees F!<BR><BR>In the North Island over the next month it is range from overnight low of 10 degrees C to a daytime max of 22 degrees C with the average day being round the 18 to 19 mark. As with most places the higher you go in altitude the colder it gets and this applies in the North Island as well as the South Island.<BR><BR>In the South Island they get lower over night temperatures, more like 6 to 8 degreesC BUT their daytime temperatures can soar when they get a North Westerly wind with it getting up to 28 degreesC this week in parts and then the next day being down to 12 degrees C.<BR><BR>Clothing<BR>Sandals would be fine in most situations but a sport type shoe would be better for walking and activites in the great outdoors. I wandered round bare footed for most of today and went for a run on the beach BUT it is too cold still for me to go swimming - I'm more your Christmas swimmer. <BR><BR>I would bring a cardigan/sweatshirt and at least a good wind breaker/lined parka but not a padded ski jacket.<BR><BR>You are right about the cold temperatures in the mountains. When I have been in helicopers it has been to go heli-skiing so I have always been dressed for the occasion. It is certainly a place where you need good footwear and this is where a pair of hiking boots would come in handy. With gloves, hat and scarf you should be OK. Most good operators will see that you don't freeze but the things I have mentioned don't take up too much room and things like a hat could be good &quot;take home&quot; gear. <BR><BR>Kerry

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Debbie

We just returned from two weeks on the South Island. As one of our water taxi guides in Abel Tasman told us &quot;spring weather in New Zealand is kind of like his 16 year old daughter's hormones (up and down)&quot; Since we were only on the South Island it was cooler. We had weather ranging from warm and sunny to cold and rainy and even saw new snow in the mountains. A couple of mornings we could see our breath when we got up. I wore more of my &quot;warm&quot; clothes than shorts &amp; sandals. Definitely bring a raincoat if you are doing any hiking.