Search

Thailand experts needed :)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2015, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand experts needed :)

Hi Fodors forum,

I'm an avid fan of this forum and its saved me in a number of occasions but this will be my first posted topic! I'm an American, based in India, who is planning an 8 day trip to Thailand. My boyfriend and I are looking for a calm time, seeing temples, some monkeys, eating street food and maybe some snorkeling. We are flying into Bangkok but then have the remaining 7.5 days open so I was looking for some advice on how to plan the trip in Thailand. I was interested in going to northern thailand as well- is it possible to go snorkeling and then up to northern thailand? Any off the map type of places to see? Any unique places to stay? We love to see local places and don't mind train journeys so we're open to it all! Any help would be incredibly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 02:27 AM

7.5 days...trains are not the fastest way to get around.
You don't have enough time for slow travel if you want to go north and south in the 7.5 days. Best to do this by plane.

See monkeys - really? They are one of the most obnoxious animals you will come across and can be down right dangerous (ferocious) if you don't give it what it wants (food, water)

You can see temples, chill out (calm time), eat street food and snorkelling down south so maybe just limit the trip to southern Thailand.
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 06:57 AM

How many nights on the ground in Thailand do you have? Remember that it takes 4 nights somewhere to get three full days.

Coming from India, I'm amazed that you think you want to see monkeys! Monkeys are aggressive pests at many temples in Asia.

If you have 7 - 8 days choose two places. Trying to cover a beach, northern Thailand, and Bangkok in that amount of time guarantees it will be unsatisfying and that you will spend way too much time in transit. Also, your idea of train travel isn't practical in the time you have. There are very inexpensive flights within Thailand.

For what you want, I'd recommend some time in Bangkok - the best place to see major temples and eat street food - and a beach area in the south for your snorkeling.

To be more helpful, we need some information from you. What time of year will you be traveling (this makes a big difference in beach areas we would recommend)? And what is your per night budget for hotels?
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi guys,

Thanks for your insights! I know its surprising to want to see monkeys, as they are a bit ferocious and annoying here in India, but as someone that grew up in the States it still intrigues me to see them- but of course from afar

You are both right, it is too much to do both north and south. We'll settle on Bangkok + the south for some beach/snorkeling time. We are going to early November (5-13th; its a quick flight from here so we'll have half of the 5th and most of the 13th). As far as budget for hotels, low to mid range I suppose, below $30-40 would be ideal. We can stretch to $50-60. Any and all recommendations are welcome for places to stay in Bangkok/the south and for snorkeling!

Thanks again guys, this is super helpful and put my head straight on what is actually possible!
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 08:54 PM

I love monkeys and while living in Bangkok I go out of my way with a group of people to feed them as they are stranded land locked no forest left.They are
Far more gentle then some humans! if you would like more info let me know.

Your next trip should be Bali... Ubud to the Monkey forest.