What to take for omiage?

Search

What to take for omiage?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to take for omiage?

Does anyone have any suggestions for gifts to take to our hosts in Japan (omiage)? I'd like to take things that the Japanese will really like/appreciate rather than the usual baseball caps and t-shirts. Mostly I need gifts for middle-aged men and women. Thanks for any ideas that worked well for you.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 01:16 PM

I brought whiskey and Coach handbag for the parents and engraved pens for the children, although the names engraved were not in Japanese characters (i could not find an establishment who did). I could not give them run-of-the-mill gifts because when my friend came to visit me in the US, they gave me exquisite gifts (as in mikimoto pearl and camera) and they shopped for their souvenirs at Tiffany's. The advise came from Japanese on temporary assignment in the US who said that designer items are very much appreciated there. The husband was non-drinker, but I could see the gleam in his eye when he saw the whiskey. I was also told that golf balls make good gifts for golfers.<BR><BR>btw , whatever you give, be sure the gifts are nicely (even elegantly)wrapped.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:47 PM

Previous advice is good, particularly the part about nice wrapping... For less expensive (and lighter in terms of weight) omiage, consider jazz cds/box sets for men and women - (think classical jazz like john coltrane/ella fitzgerald/diana krall/oscar peterson); beautiful boxes of chocolates are always appreciated - godiva or teuscher, for example (I don't know where you live), sophisticated silver-plated picture frames, and crane's stationery sets with lined envelopes...(very american but still useful &amp; appreciated by japanese)... hope these ideas help.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 10:22 PM

Also, high end soaps, especially locally made ones, Disney animated movie videos, (not DVDs, American ones don't work in Japan), wine from your state, dried fruits, if nicely packaged.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions. Coach bags, cds, nice candy, food items, esp. nice wrapping. Also the Crane stationary is a good idea too. Happy trails.