What to see in Chandigarh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello: We plan to go to Chandigarh for a day or two from Delhi, part of our Oct. trip to India for our nieces wedding. I have procured a car and hotel via VP Singh from legends and palaces. My question is is one day enough or should we plan more and what are the POI's there.
Thanks! Larry
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 12:21 PM

The Rock Garden should definitely be on your list. Be prepared to walk!
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 11:04 PM

I think one day is not enough you should be stay their for more that 3 days I think, Because it is useless if you go their are you are not enjoying well.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 11:38 PM

Chandigarh is a great little city, and I hope you enjoy it. It is hardly touristed (at least by Western tourists) and still has a small-town feel (for a city bigger than Washington, DC). It is quite green and pleasant. As mentioned, above the Rock Garden is amazing so that is an absolute must. Set aside several hours for wandering.

Of course the main reason to go is to see the various Le Corbusier buildings. You actually need a permit to go inside them, and really to get near most of them, so you might want to look into getting the proper papers. I did not want to go through the time and hassle of this (passports and lots forms required), perhaps your niece or family members may be able to advise if you can obtain these in advance. Or your hotel. Otherwise, your driver can take you around to view them from somewhat of a distance (they are all set off the road a bit and in park-like settings). I am not aware of a tour guide service for this, you may want to ask VP Singh if they can provide you with a knowledgeable guide. Chandigarh is flat and traffic is quite orderly, so biking in the areas of the assembly and other Le Corbusier buildings may also be an option.

About the only good hotel in town is the JW Marriott which is really quite a nice hotel, so I would stay there.

Personally I think 3 days may be pushing it, esp if you can’t get the papers to get inside or close to any of the buildings. I have done Chandigarh as a weekend trip from Delhi (fly up Friday and return Sunday afternoon) which seemed sufficient.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. We get back to Delhi on the 12th. And thought to go on the 14th. Time is limited as we leave for BKK on the 17th and we need some time to shop, see family, etc. I am planning to see,a bit on the day we have to return to Del. the 15rh.

That's Cicerone for the great advice as usual.

Larry.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

oops. meant to say "thanks"
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 10:56 PM

Hi

Chandigarh is one of the most beautiful and modern cities I've visited. there are several tourist attractions in around Chandigarh. Places like the Leisure valley, Rock garden, Sukhna lake, Open hand monument, Capitol complex, rose garden and of course the markets.
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips.
Larry
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 10:46 PM

places to see in chandigarh are rock garden of chandigarh, mata mansa devi mandir, sukhna lake, cactus garden, Le Corbusier Centre, rose garden, International Dolls Museum. these are places but i dont think so you will be able to visit this in one day.
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Monica. One day is what we have so I'll have to prioritize our time.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips.

We will do all we can in a short period of time. I wish we had more time but it does not work out that way and as this is our 7th trip to India, all thru Delhi we want to see something more outside of Delhi. Just too bad we don't have more time.