Reload this Page >

Need help choosing a luxury camp in Rajasthan

Old Aug 26th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites,
Finally booked our 3 week trip to visit family in India ! Out of that we are taking a week away to visit Rajasthan. We are visiting Rajasthan during mid November.

So, I have 7 days and we will be using Bangalore as our base to fly back and forth from Rajasthan.

I need your help in finalizing our itinerary. We are not too keen on doing Jaipur.

My Plan A : Udaipur, Jodhpur, jaisalmer and one night in a luxury camp preferably en route to one of these places.

Plan B; just Udaipur and Jodhpur and a night in a luxury camp.

We are traveling with 2 kids ages 11.5 and 8, who are very well traveled.

I need your help on choosing a good luxury camp that would be fun experience for all of us.

Thanks a lot !

Kush
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 12:01 AM

Hi Shubha,

I would prefer you to check out with Royal desert camp, Their service is really awesome. I stayed there with my family.

They have really clean swiss tents, a trustworthy staff and a great management to handle and fullfil all your needs in desert.

You can also check their website.
http://www.royaldesertcampjaisalmer.com/

Cheers Friend.
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sandy_lent. Looks great.

I am also considering Chattra Sagar, does anyone have any feedback on that ?

We have a week and planning on doing Udaipur, a desert camp and Jodhpur. Any ideas ?
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 08:00 AM

We are going on a 3-week+ India trip Feb 14 as well. Our (Indian) agent suggested Chattra Sagar and Laxman Sagar as options for something outside of Jodhpur. We've chosen the latter, although they both look delightful. Check Elainee's trip report as they stayed at Chattra Sagar just this past February.
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks uhoh_busted interesting name

I will look into Laxman Sagar. If you don't mind can you share your itinerary of Rajasthan with me ?

Kush
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 04:19 PM

Lashman Sagar has wonderful reviews on trip advisor. I thought Chattra sagar looked appealing but this place also looks incredible. tough decision but do let us know what you decide,
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone,

The more I research, I am leaning towards doing a luxury desert camp rather than Chattra sagar which is on the lake.

Ay suggestions for those ?

Kush
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 06:53 AM

shubha_r We are using Legends & Palaces, and because we have a 24-hour "day" of flying to get to Delhi, we will be staying at Claridges for 3 nights to start. Next is 2 nights, Taj Gateway in Agra, then a train to Sawaimadhopur, near Ranthampor where we will stay at Khem Villas for 2 nights. (Our driver will catch up to us there. Apparently the roads are not good, hence we will take the train so we can make an afternoon/evening game drive that day) Next we will be taken to Jaipur, where we'll star at Shahpura House 2 nights. The next stop is Lakshman (Laxman?) Sagar for a night, before we head to Jodphur where we'll stay 2 nights at Rass. We will next travel on and spend a night at Chanoud Garh, before 2 nights in Udaipur at the Trident. That completes the Rajasthan portion of our trip.

We will be taking a cookery class one day in Delhi, and visiting a block-print workshop in Jodphur. I am a costumer at home, and interested in fabrics and design, so there are some particular places we've been advised to visit. My husband is a train nut, so we will visit the Railroad museum in Delhi and have that short train trip from Agra. He also loves history, so he's been to the library and we are reading a lot about India. It is a fascinating place and culturally -- wow. What changes have taken place since it won independence from Great Britain, and yet how close people remain to their ancient heritage.
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

uhoh_busted, trip plan looks amazing. I started my discussion with Castle and King, but I wasn't too impressed with the responses, since they seemed too cookie cutter, where as we are after something that will give us unique experiences and memories

I am looking into Raas too in Jodhpur, looked wonderful. Looking into Oberoi in Udaipur, that's always been my dream place to stay

can you let me know about your block printing in Jodhpur ? Would love to do that myself.

What made you choose Laxman Sagar and Chanoud Garh ? Just curious.

I am from India, but been in US for a very long time and it's my first time to Rajasthan with my family ! So excited.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 07:52 AM

They were recommended to us by Mr Singh at Legends & Palaces. After a couple of emails, he knew more about our interests and travel style and gave us options from which we could choose. We like to intersperse big cities with smaller places where you get a bit closer to real life, no matter where you travel.