What to do with my 5 weeks in SEA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I'll be going in august to SEA just for 5 weeks tops. Its my first time there and i'm really excited. I'm just sad i dont have more time there, but i'm a student so...anyway i wouldn't have money to stay for a long time. I'm actually going because i won a challenge in my country(i'm from portugal) and now i have a cupon that i can spent in a travel agency so i decided i'd book a fight to bangkok, simply because it is the cheapest country in the area. I remember when i won i went to see how far i could go with the money i got and when i put SEA in the table it was just unreal, like a dream i didn't even dare to have before.

I dont really fancy the backpacker scene. First i thought my dream was thailand but the more i read the more i think it's not really the best for me. Don't get me wrong, everything will be a dream for me! But i won't be having a lot of cash and i just want to live their culture and have a true expecience that i can remember and take with me for the rest of my life, i don't really want to go party and for a resort or something like that.

Anyway, i know this is a weird question, but, if you were me, knowing what you know, what would you do with my 5 weeks? Taking in consideration that i'll be arriving and departing from the bangkok airport.

Whould u recommend to get to another country? Stay in thailand?
Keep in mind i'll be going in the raining season. Thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 03:46 PM

mariana, what a great opportunity! My top three picks for SEA would be Bangkok in Thailand, Angkor in Cambodia and Bali in Indonesia. In five weeks you could add 2 or 3 other destinations, in those three countries or others like Laos, Vietnam, Singapore.

Some places are more expensive than others, but they average out. You can find clean safe accommodation all over Asia at modest prices.

A lot depends on what you're most interested in doing and seeing -- temples, arts and crafts, performing arts, adventure or nature travel, wellness or spiritual activities? There are a lot of different aspects to Asia.

Also as a single traveler you'll want to be able to interact with other people along the way, maybe join travel groups or classes.

What are your dates?
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 04:15 PM

thailand is fantastic and geared for young people as well as elders. it along with vietnam can be quite cheap...

you need a good guidebook to start. can you get lonely planet in portugal?

look at www.sawadee.com for hotels at all prices in thailand.
you will want air conditioning for sure.

you cannot drink the water, but bottled water is very cheap.

talk to your doctor about shots you might need.. Hep A & B...

bangkok is a very exciting city and you will love it... far different from lisboa.. wine is expensive but beer is cheap.. stay clear of thai ladies in bars!!

thailand and vietnam are very safe.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 07:58 AM

Well…for me Thailand main beaches are little crowded. I don’t say they are bad, but not for me. If you want some different experience may be you can try Patong and Pattaya beaches. But if you want some relaxation best is Phi Phi islands. May be you can spend 3-4 days in Phi Phi Don and some camping in Phi Phi Leh.
For me best beaches to relax in Asian region is in Maldivies. water Banglows in Maldives are superb and you should experience them at least once in life time…. Hiton Maldives would be one of best choices in Maldives.
Finally, If you need bit of everything my advice is the visit Sri Lanka where you can experience golden beaches, hiking in hill country and totally different culture. You will not regret it. It is one of top 10 travel destinations in year 2013. May be you can do 2 weeks in Thailand and 1 week in Sri Lanka. you can book Bangkok-Colombo up and down for around USD 150 in budget airline like Air Asia or Tiger.
Best of luck !!!
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

marmot: Thank you so much for your reply. I'm going in august!
I really like temples nature and the food it's also important for me! I would like to do some trekking somewhere i guess.
Would you recommend bali over vietnam?

rhkkmk: We do have lonelyplanet guide here, yes. I'll definitly buy from the countries i chose to go to. Your answer made me excited! I was a bit scared since everyone i hear talking about bangkok it's all bad specially because it's too hot and very polluted so i was scared because i'll be going in a hot month. But i'm very interested in all the temples and street food!

Sam_Sen: Thanks for answering! i do want to see some paradise island or beach while i'm there. But since it's rainy season i was thinking about maybe ko tao? i don't have the money for diving but i heard the island gets pretty empty during the day since everyone's out for diving so i'd skip some crowds.

I was a bit curious about northen vietnam since i heard it was unexpensive and had beautiful moutains, tribes and halong bay. How does it compare to chiang mai trekking? i was thinking about going there in a night train because i'd be traveling when sleeping so it's convenient and easy.

Cambodia for angkor wat is a bit of a certain to me at this point. It looks gorgeous! I'm hoping in august i don't get too many crowds? Would anyone recommend another destination in cambodia? phenom phen doesn't really catch my eye but besides that would u recommend me to leave after siem reap?
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 10:40 PM

check out http://www.couchsurfing.org/

this site is mainly for staying privately with people that have a spare couch – at least possible in BKK – but also a great way of meeting other people. It can be locals or other travellers wanting to meet for a chat.
My son have had many great experiences this way, like in Bangkok there is a meeting at a restaurant every Thursday, when my son went there were 40 people. In HCMC they met with local students who showed them the city.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 05:46 AM

marian, you might want to note that Sam Sen's suggestions may not be for you. He recommends Pattaya and Patong beaches, both of which are centers for sex tourists.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 06:13 AM

If you have a bit of time and are feeling adventurous, I would recommend a trip to Ratanakiri or Mondulkiri for trekking. Rainy season should not put you off too much, it's beautiful that time of year, all the waterfalls are full and flora/fauna amazing.