What to do in Bangkok?

Search

What to do in Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Bangkok?

We will be spending 2 full days in Bangkok at the beginning of our trip and then two more at the end....Please suggest some "not to be missed" activities in Bangkok! Also, we would like to take a night train to CM...if we book that as soon as we arrive (2 days prior to departure) will that be sufficient, or should we try to book train reservations from here? Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:06 AM

you must have a specific reason for riding the train, but if it were me i would fly to maximize my time on the ground....its only a 1+ hour flight and quite reasonable...

sights:

grand palace
jim thompson house
klong tour by long tail boat
wat arun
wat pho
shopping
great eats
marble wat
v-mark palace
suan pakkard palace (short visit)
visit to flower market near river
skytrain
suan lum nite market on wireless rd

this is a start for you
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:11 AM

rhkkmk is right! Take a flight. We did a short journey from Bangkok by train and it took so long even to get out of the city in the first place.
Hot and uncomfortable.
We flew up to Chaing Mai and it was cheap,comfortable and efficient.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Seems as though CM is badly flooded right now and train service has been halted...does anyone have experience with this situation from 2005? We thought to take the overnight train as we thought it would be cool to sleep on the train and arrive in CM rested in the morning!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:07 AM

Evening entertainment- Calypso Cabaret in the Asia hotel - take the skytrain it connects to the hotel. This is a great Ladyboy show- very classy good for all ages,. Cocktail show cost $25.(skip doing the dinner show its not worth it) Get tickets at the box office inside the Asia Hotel. You miss it you are the loser!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:02 AM

Go to the Grand Palace for sure
Take a river Boat taxi
Shop at the Kho San Rd market
Eat phad Thai and spring rolls from a street vendor (for 50 cents)
Walk around and get lost in the city
Take the sky train
Take a tuk tuk ride (only let them know you don't want to make any stops) as this can be a scam, but you still want to experience a tuk tuk...

Have fun.....

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:04 AM

I forgot...you HAVE to go to the floating market.

Just very cool.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:20 AM

If you take a ride on a Tuk Tuk you may be "Taken for a Ride" despite your protestations!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:23 AM

We all have different preferences. I wouldn't ride in a tuk tuk in Bangkok. Since you are going to CM, ride one there. I'm also one of those people who yawn at the thought og the floating market.

I do recommend a stop at the Erawan Shrine. And if you can, go to Wat Ben (the Marble temple) right after dawn to see people making merit by giving food to teh monks.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM

the Tiger Temple and River Kwai
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:53 PM

i personally would find nothing comfortable and relaxing about an overnite train, especially if you have to be concerned about your possessions, which some have reported...

i am told by someone in CM that the flooding is not in tourist areas at all...
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:27 PM

I disagree with going to a floating market (especialy Damoen Saduak). Good picture opportunity from the bridge, but that's about all. Very touristy and the vendors are selling the same things you can buy on Sukhumvit. You boat will constantly pull up the different stalls where they want you to buy something. The sound of wooden frogs will forever be ingrained in your mind....

Get a thai massage at Wat Po instead.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:36 PM

how different we are....i love the floating market and found the pictue taking fabulous...not pressure to buy anything....go very early and leave very early...on the other hand i found rose garden, which many love to be a total drag!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:44 PM

We actually enjoyed the floating market very much. We went on our own, not on a tour, and we went very early, so that might have made a big difference in our experience.

We had a driver for the day, and we chose to take a boat into the market area rather than drive in close. The car did meet us at the market so we only did the boat trip in, not out as well. The boat traveled through lots of small klongs and we found it very interesting. The area was still waking up, so it was relatively quiet, and just seeing the homes and boats and children and adults all getting ready for the day was very interesting.

When we arrived at the market, we chose to ride around in a small boat rather than just walk around the area, and it was really fun. We were not at all pushed to buy anything...in fact, we did not buy anything. We really wanted to buy some food as it looked and smelled absolutely delicious, but we were spooked by the horror stories we'd heard about eating from stalls and so on. It was our first trip to Thailand, and we were very careful then...now, on the other hand, we'd buy and eat whatever we liked. Doesn't hurt at all to be careful though...know the risks I think and decide for yourself.

Funny you mention the wooden frogs...we bought one somewhere, because our daughter had a time when she just adored all things "frog"...it is now in our entryway for all to play with, and it gets played with a lot...a bit irritating, yes.

There really isn't anything to buy at the floating market in my opinion...but we thought it was a colorful way to start a day. As we were leaving, it was beginning to get very crowded with bus tours and such...and doing it in that crowd would indeed be unpleasant. So if you go, do go early. We were there by 7:00 and out by 8:30.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:55 PM

Like I said, good picture taking opportunity, and nothing that you can't buy on Sukhumvit. If you go, definitely don't go with a tour. Spend the money on a private car and go early (as mentioned above). Plenty of other good things to do/see so if you're pressed for time, this would be towards the bottom of my list.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:46 PM

Taking the plane to Chiang Mai is cheap and fast (about 1 hour). You will have more time, not be tird like after the train ride and not pay much mre (if at all with cheap airlines like Air Asia).

In Bangkok:

Grand Palace has to be visited

Shopping at Siam Square (the most amazing shopping area in SEA)

Going out at night: RCA (younger crowd), Bed Superclub, QBar or Tapas (mixed ages from young to older)

Dining at the highest open air restaurant in the world (or just have a drink up there if you dont want to spend the cash as its an expensive place). The name is "Sirocco' and it is located in the State Tower on Silom Road.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:43 AM

Both Sirocco and Vertigo are great places to have a drink. IMO, there are many better places to have dinner (Baan Khanita and Blue Elephant for Thai are both very close by).

http://www.banyantree.com/bangkok/dining_vertigo.htm

http://www.thedomebkk.com/sirocco/sirocco_home.htm