Bangkok advice

Search

Bangkok advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok advice

Wow, so much excellent advice about Bangkok on this forum - it clearly arouses the passions of the members here.

I've read heaps of the advice, but I need to post this to get the advice a little bit more tailored to my situation - I hope you can indulge me.

My family will be stoppping in Bangkok for a couple of days en route to Krabi. Because we arrive in the evening and leave at lunchtime 2 days later, we really only get one full day in Bangkok, plus a morning.

Here's where I'm at: based on advice from this forum, I've booked us into the Ibrik resort and have contacted the guide Ratt to show us the sights on the one full day. But I also note it pays to have a good idea of what you want to do. My children are 7 and 9.

I'd really welcome suggestions on what's the best use of our time - we don't want to do a lot of shopping, although it would be great to go to a good market. Some people on the forum have talked about the floating market, but I do note that it's a 1/2 day trip away from Bangkok so I'm not sure if it is a good idea.

Please help!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:38 AM

Go to the temple of the emerald buddha/grand palace and take a klong tour that includes Wat Arun, the flower market and the royal barges. Maybe go to the night market in the evening.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:04 AM

Try to fit in the Jim Thompson house as well.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:53 AM

Jim Thompson is one of my favorite places in Bangkok but I wonder if it would be that interesting to a teenager. That's why I didn't include it but Bill is right -- if you have time try to go there.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:59 AM

On your full day with Ratt, go first to the Flower Market, second to Chinatown and walk up the market street, then to the Grand Palace and a quick trip to Wat Pho. Lunch in an air conditioned spot and then a trip to Jim Thompson and Suan Packard. Ratt will make it possible to squeeze in all of this. The next morning would be good for a khlong ride. You don't need Ratt for that.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:33 AM

Since your children are young, I would not overdo the palace, temples, flower market, etc. I'd concentrate on a klong tour and maybe the Grand Palace. For a market, you might enjoy Suanlum in the evening. There is a food court and entertainment nightly, along with rows and rows of shops. You can get a table in the food court and make that your "base" as you take turns shopping and sitting for a while.

Your kids would probably enjoy riding on the skytrain, but you won't get to do that if Ratt is driving you all day. Maybe you can do that on your last morning in the city. The skytrain gives you a pretty good view of the major parts of the city, with the interesting buildings like the "robot" building.

MBK mall is a shopper's dream if you like to bargain on items. It is located at the National Stadium skytrain stop. It's worth a look, at least. An amazing mall! You won't find anything like it anywhere else.

Enjoy your trip.

Carol
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:57 AM

what gpanda has said makes lots of sense to me...
with ratt you will need her van...her other vechicle is a toyota corolla which will be very tight for the 4 of you i think
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:33 AM

Your children might enjoy a puppet performance at the Joe Louis Theatre, which is at edge of the Suan Lum night market mentioned by one of the other posters. The puppets are large and quite beautiful; three black-clad puppeteers are on stage working each one. The performance will be from the Ramakien, the Thai version of the Ramayana epic. (You will see scenes from the Ramakien in murals at temples during your trip). The puppeteers are all trained in Thai classical dance, as each puppet is doing exactly the same moves that a human dancer would do in performing the Ramakien.
http://www.joelouis-theater.com/eng/index.htm
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:37 AM

With a 7 and a 9 year old even with Ratt I think you need to avoid overdoing it. I'm with Carol in thinking that a klong trip (with some stops), Grand Palace and night market with puppet show is probably all they will be able to handle. Maybe go to Jim Thompson House for lunch.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:20 AM

if your going too get your money's worth with ratt or any guide you probably should include some far flung places.. lets say jatujak market, crocodile farm etc. if your just going too stay along the river then your paying her some big cash too drive ya a couple off yards from one temple too the next.. And Jim thompson is only about a mile or 2 away form the palcie and all the majore sites
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:35 AM

You'll get more than your money's worth with Ratt without going outside the city. Major thing you'll get is ease and air conditioning. You won't have to worry where you are with young children. I think you've absolutely done the right thing in hiring her to drive you around the city with your limited time and with children. And with your limited time I would not waste it by going outside of the city.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 09:02 AM

Gloria is right on the money (as usual).
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:31 PM

just look at a map of bangkok and and plot some of the places most people have suggettsted.. Most everythng is in a mile circunfrence. last I checked taxis have aircon. actually most of the majore sites aqe accross the street from eachotherl.. so your saying paying a guide too drive you 100 ft is a good deal.?.. In that part of town where the leaning buhda and the grnad Palice is. she'll probably walk give ya a walking tour too each site

the pier too wat Arun is about 50 yards from the leaning buhda comlex..

I'm not saying dont use Ratt or any guide.. your paying for a shoufered guide for 1 FULL DAY, might as well make the most of it..
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 01:40 AM

If you are travelling with children to Thailand, check out the thailand4kids website. Its been put together specifically for families travelling to Thailand with children and has some very good practical advice.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:08 AM

Remember with Ratt your getting someone who will take care of you, give you ice cold bottled water and a cold towel. Drive you where you want to go- not take to jewelry stores you don't want to see. Also Ratt knows the in's and outs of these places and will advise on the best time to go, and what to do/see while you are there. She drops you in front, stays with you, in other words you don't have to worry about anything happening to you. When she was with us she held a sun umbrella over my wife and carried our packages. Is that worth it? You bet it is!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:38 AM

I'm with Bob and Bill -- worth every penny I paid her and more.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:01 AM

thier is a pritty cool childrens meusam right next too jatujak market.. lots of fun hands on displays..

--------------
jeez. I should set up a SEGWEY rental for some of our fodorites who want too do as litle as possible on thier trip too bkk .

BILLT don't worry my man I know of a place where the ladies hand feed you. dinner.. seriously..
--------------
I checked out that thailand4kids site and it's just a big add for a PAPER back guidebook. which may be good for famalies but nothing really informative on the web site.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

See, this is what I love about Fodors - Passion, Debate and above all, good advice. Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I can see some excellent ideas. Orgy, I can see your point about using Ratt for out-of-town stuff, but to be honest, from what I have read of her, she is more than just a taxi driver, even if just around the city. Bill, your description sold me for sure - cold towel, iced water... I have been in Bangkok before (only for a day) and didn't get to see any of it, so I reckong Ratt will fix that for me. The kids have never been, but I suspect they will wilt in the heat and humidity.

I like the sound of the flower market, and the puppet show (thanks Tanuki) sounds fab. Thanks for the tip about Thailand4kids Itchy, and Gloria, thanks for confirming my thoughts about not travelling out of town.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:19 AM

Guykb:
With kids, the heat/humidity you don't need any more stress- Ratt will give you peace of mind and you will have more energy to do more. Getting in her car with the ac, the cold water and towels- you will be refreshed and ready to hit the next venue!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:29 AM

Another plus with Ratt is she is a real character and a good woman. And getting to know a local is certainly as important (if not more) to understanding the country as the temples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -