Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What should we do before our tour starts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are heading to Thailand in July. Here’s a quick rundown of our time there…

We arrive in Bangkok on July 24th at 11pm. Our tour (http://www.gapadventures.com/tour/ATND) starts on the evening of July 26th. We arrive back into Bangkok on the morning of August 3rd and our flight leaves back home on August 4 early morning.

A few questions:

What are your recommendations to do with the extra time before our tour begins and after it ends?

Is there enough time to visit a beach before our tour begins?

Since we get in so late on the 24th, where do you recommend we stay for the night?

Thanks for your help! I’m sure I’ll have more questions as the trip nears.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 07:12 PM

How old are you, what is your budget, what are your likes/dislikes on vacation?
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 05:45 AM

I would plan on taking it slow on the 25th to adjust to the heat and recover from jetlag. There's no reason not to stay in the same hotel for all three of your nights in Bangkok. At the time of your arrival, the city hotels are only 1/2 hour away from the airport.

The Grand Palace is a must-do. Arrive at 8:30 AM when it opens to avoid the heat and the crowds - the 26th is probably better for this.

Other than that do share the information that Tim and Liz have requested. Also, tell us where are you staying in Bangkok. We will be pleased to provide recommendations based on your interests and location.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

I guess that would have been helpful . We are both in our late 20's. We would like to stay around 100 USD per night for the hotels. We would like something centrally located in Bangkok so we can see the sights around the area that are accessable via boat/subway/walking.

We are really laid back travelers. In our various trips, we'll see a sight, wander around, sit in a park, eat some food, people watch. We are not really big store shoppers, although we love flea markets. We definitly are not the bam bam bam gotta see everything type of people. Anything to give us a good dose of Thailand culture is all we are looking for.

Thanks for the replies already!

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM

So, if I understand your trip correctly, it appears that the tour does not include a Bangkok hotel - is that right?

There is always debate about the best area in which to stay. Access to public transport is very important, mostly you want to have access to the water taxis and the Skytrain (the subway doesn't go as many places that would be of interest to you). I always stay along the river. That gives you access to the water taxis which are the best way to go to the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha, Wat Po, and Wat Arun, for instance. I notice your tour includes Wat Po (the Reclining Buddha) but not the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha. I consider the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha to be the premier site in Bangkok and highly recommend that you take time to go there - as it opens, as Craig says above.

For around US$100 per night, you can likely get an apartment at the Centerpointe Silom, located near the river and the skytrain terminal. Check one of the reputable Thai booking sites for the best prices. I like www.sawadee.com Note that the prices on this site usually include the tax and service (which are 17%) and often include breakfast. You'll find lots of other options in your price range on sawadee, so ask about those that catch your eye.

Wherever you choose to stay, I'd recommend you go there rather than trying to stay somewhere close to the airport. I'll only be about a 30 minute taxi ride to your hotel.

You really don't have time to visit a beach in the day and a half you have before meeting up with your tour.