Weather in Bhutan

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather in Bhutan

We are going to Bhutan the end of December. Will we need to bring boots? Should we expect snow? We understand that it is going to be quite cold and we may be doing some hiking.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 10:53 AM

I cna't answer those qustions, but my parents went for 2 weeks in the spring of 2005 and had an amazing guide.

They still email him. In fact he offered for me and husband to be his guests in 2007, which means you don't have to pay the $200 a day fee. Just an fyi.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 02:26 PM

I have been researching a trip for 2007. If you are hiking in the mountains, you might need boots if your vehicle can make it there - it depends on where you are going - the higher the elevation, the more chance of snow. December is the 2nd coldest month in Bhutan. Why don't you ask your travel agent - they can probably provide a complete list of what to bring.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 02:05 AM

hi there,
depends on where You are going. If You are lucky, no snow. But I guess, You will find some. We were there in April and it was real cold, specialy at night. In the morning we found ice outside the hotel.
Boots? Of course if You wanna do a little hike (up the tigernest ...). You need good walking boots for sure.
To Coripep - wow, does that mean You can legaly enter Bhutan without having the driver and guide and all that stuff arround You. Wow, I'm jealous. Wanna do this too. Give that guide my email

have fun
Gar
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 02:20 AM

partypoet - I'm going to Bhutan this December too and getting very exicited about it. Which agency and type of itinerary have you decided on? Where will you be traveling? From what I've heard, the weather will be sunny and cool duing the day and very cold at night. I've been told there might be snow, but most snow falls from late January on. I guess it depends if you're going trekking. Western Bhutan probably won't have much snow at all, but Central Bhutan will probably have some snow, especially at higher elevations. What day are you arriving in Bhutan?
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 06:28 AM

gargamel. The guide and my parents become fast friends. They offered to sponsor him to come to United States.The guide is our age 30 and enjoyed my parents so much and knew we wanted to go, so he invited us as his guest.He is allowed each year by the government to invite 2 people in the country and since they are his guests they aren't required to pay the guide fee. The government assumes you will be with the host. Does this make sense. He is a guide and makes his livlihood that way, but he was very genuine and if you use him you have the possibility of creating a real friendship.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

We are going to Bhutan for one week as part of a trip to India with OAT. We will be in Bhutan from December 23 to December 30, spending January in India and returning to the states January 21.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

I spoke with our travel agent today and he told me that it rarely snows, however with the unusual weather conditions in the world, nothing is guaranteed! He also said that this time of year there is very little precipitation, so we're not bringing any heavy boots.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Post a trip report when you get back. I am sure others on this forum would be very interested, especially because Bhutan is so accessible from Bangkok, Kolkuta and Katmandu - not many of us have ventured there.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Ben

We went to Bhutan at the end of December and early January. The nights were quite cold and our accomodations (2 years ago) rarely had heat. However, the days were sunny and quite pleasant. My children and I wore lightweight hiking boots and I think my husband wore fairly rugged leather walking shoes. We wore fleece jackets during the day, and heavy coats, hats and scarves at night.
We had a wonderful time in Bhutan. Will you be at the Tongsa festival in early January?