Walke-Talkies in Beijing

Feb 26th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Walke-Talkies in Beijing

My husband and I and another couple are going to Beijing. I would like to know if walkie talkies can be used there. Any reason why not? We thought it might be a great way for us to keep in touch with each other should we become lost or separated.

Any other problems you think might be encountered by bringing and using them?

Thanks
Feb 27th, 2004, 02:18 AM

I was originally going to say that I think they are illegal in China, but I did some quick searching and it appears that if they have a frequency of 400 MHz or less, they are legal. You might want to confirm this by contacting the Chinese Embassy in the US or the US Embassy in China.

Chinese Embassy
2201 Wisconsin Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20007
(202/338-6688)
Internet: www.china-embassy.org

or nearest Consulate General: Chicago (312/803-0098), Houston (713/524-4311), Los Angeles (213/807-8018), New York (212/330-7409) or San Francisco (415/563-4857).

US Embassy ? Beijing
Xiu Shui Bei Jie 3, 100600
Beijing
Main Phone: 86-10-6532-3831
http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/index.html

I don't use them or really have any experience with them, but they might be a good idea. (I was in the US skiing over Christmas and noticed a lot of families use them to keep track of one another, seems like a good idea.) I guess the only drawback is their range, they won't be helpful if you are in different parts of the city. They would be helpful in a huge place like the Forbidden City or the Summer Palace if you decide to separate.
Feb 27th, 2004, 07:23 AM

My husband and I each have a dual-band T-Mobile phone which we used to call each other in Spain last fall for $.99 per minute. We are planning to use them in China in May. T-Mobile assured me that they would work there(in major cities, of course). The charge is $2.99 per minute. I learned about T-Mobile on the European forum from someone who posts there regularly (xyz123).
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:47 AM

I have a t-mobile tri-band which I used in SE Asia last December. Worked fine -- even called my husband from Angkor Wat!

The opnly problem I can see using tyhem as a walkie-talkie is that each one minute call would be $5.98 -- because each phone would be charged as I don't think t-mobiles "mobile2mobile" program includes international calls..
Feb 27th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

No, I am definitely asking about walkie-tallkies--the kind you can buy at Costco or Radio Shack that have a 2 mile radius. (Some even have 5 mile) People use them in the U. S. all the time for when they are shopping, skiing, etc.--No phones.

Any more comment regarding this type?

Thanks,
Jean
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:16 PM

They are wonderful for travelling, but you might want to double check with the embassy as sugessted.

We've used them all over the world (but not China)and only ran into problems in Mexico city. We heard police using them, and didn't wan't to get in trouble for cutting in. Not that they could probably track you down.

I would worry somewhat more in China...They tend to get a little more huffy about thing like that, and the Chinese are better at finding you if they feel the need.

We've bought many different ones and Motorolas as way better than their competitors. Make sure you get ones that use regular batteries, not just recharge, so that you can keep them working without spending a fortune on voltage converters.
Feb 28th, 2004, 01:39 AM

Walkie talkies are widely on sale across China with all the familiar as well as unfamiliar brand names. As with other electronics there is no difficulty taking them in to China, and others have reported using them there without difficulty.

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Feb 28th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you, I really appreciate your help. Looks like we can relax--it will be nice if we want to meet someone while at the Forbidden City, or if we women want to "go shopping" while the men do something else!
Mar 1st, 2004, 07:17 AM

Just after making my last posting on this topic I went into a walkie-talkie shop around the corner from my hotel and asked, but haven't been near the Internet since.

The Motorola machines the shop had were made in Shanghai, and identical to the models sold overseas, I was told. Probably, however, they can be bought much more cheaply in China. A pair of snazzy rechargable models had a first asking price of Y750 (no good for North Americans, of course--220V in China), and a smaller battery-powered pair was Y320. The frequency used in China is 406MHz, I was told.

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:16 PM

We used a pair of FRS walkie talkies all over and around Beijing, no problem with customs and hardly any funny looks anywhere. Had a small amount of Mandarin interference, not bad, try to find a clear channel at Disney World sometimes!

Wally
Apr 9th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi!

Well, we have ben back from our trip a week now, and we did take Radio Shack Walkie-Talkies. They worked fine, and they certainly stirred up a lot of interest from the locals. We didn't need them as much as we thought, but they were indeed quite helpful such as in The Forbidden City and Tianement Square which are so large. Oh, yes, used them again at the Summer Palace & Temple of Heaven--as we were 2 couples with different paces to "go through things."

Gave us a certain peace of mind. Just so you know.

Jean
Apr 10th, 2004, 02:23 PM

i have to say something....please don't use them in the restaurants where i am or at the wats or other sightseeing venues where i am....

i think all it would do is disturb other people who are trying to enjoy their holidays...and for what?? just so you can "communicate" with your travelling companions??? i can hear it now in the tranquility of a lovely wat: "HEY, COME OVER HERE AND SEE THIS.....IT'S JUST FABULOUS..." or
"WHERE ARE YOU, WE ARE BY THE LARGE RED BUILDING IN RED SQUARE...."

sorry if this offends you, but cell phones and talking machines of many kinds offend many of us....
Apr 14th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

To the above poster: Please don't assume that people such as myself do not exhibit good manners in using such devices. That offends me!

These were used in open spaces and they didn't "disturb" anyone's tranquility.

Enough said.