Is Delhi weather THAT bad now?

Apr 6th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Is Delhi weather THAT bad now?

I hear it's HOT but how bad is it?

uncomfortable or bearable? Are there air-conditioned places you can escape to when it unbearable?

I went to Singapore when it was 100 degress w/100% humidity and thought it would be torture but it wasn't too bad because of the clean air, planted trees to take cover and soooo many air-conditioned shops/cafes you can go to.

Do most places in Delhi have A/C?
Apr 6th, 2004, 08:13 PM

delhi is hot, unbearable and uncomfortable at this time of year until about november. most hotels have a/c's, however taxis don't even have them. also frequent power cuts are not uncommon so be careful where you stay because you cannot sleep into the night without a/c.
good luck with your planning.
Apr 6th, 2004, 10:34 PM

Sorry, I can't give any useful help, but it brought to mind a favorite passage of mine from a great humorous novel all travelers to India should read: "Are you experienced?" by William Sutcliffe.

(Apologies to Sutcliffe, who is far more witty):

"People warned me before coming to India that walking outside was like walking into an oven. Thus prepared, my initial thought when I stepped outside for the first time was still: 'Geez! It's like walking into a f***ing oven!"
Apr 6th, 2004, 10:48 PM

It's better to read this now and mentally prepare myself for the worst. I'm going then too. I got everything arranged before I checked on the weather. By then it was too late, and have since found that out that Apr/May is not the time to visit.
The only consolation is that I am getting great rates at 5* hotels, places I could NEVER afford during the comfortable peak season. Sounds like I'll probably want to make good use of their air con...

Apr 7th, 2004, 02:04 AM

You'll be okay, when the humidity begins it will be worse. Just be sure to be armed with a big bottle of water and perhaps a wash cloth to wet and wipe face, neck and take an umbrella for when you'll be walking around outside.
Apr 8th, 2004, 03:25 AM

Its really bad this time of year and as mentiones most cabs do not have A/C. My wife is Indian and we would never go this time of year. Even for her it is too much. Drink alot of water and pace yourself.
Apr 8th, 2004, 05:57 PM

Darling, you've never felt hot until you've been to Delhi, Jaipur, or Agra in May. And there isn't any relief at night either. Just be careful you don't get heatstroke; always wear a hat.
Apr 8th, 2004, 11:49 PM

This topic is constantly on my mind now, as I keeping worrying about what I am getting myself into....

If I can ask. While extremely hot, isn't this season better than going during the monsoons?? If you had to pick among May/June/July/Aug which month would you choose?

I've lived in Southern California that can get over the 100'sF (40C). At least it's dry heat, which is the same as in Delhi now, no? Dry heat is much easier for me than heat plus humidity like I get during summers here in Japan.

And at least it shouldn't rain much during the trip.....as I keep trying to think of positivie aspects.
Apr 9th, 2004, 01:52 AM

August is actually better. We were there once durung that mo. and it was bearable.
Apr 9th, 2004, 10:15 PM

Babiron, the Delhi summer is not very dissimilar than Houston's. It is very hot yes, but on average it is not quite as bad as, say, Phoenix, Arizona.

For the average tourist wanting to do the usual touristy things and sites, and with limited time at his disposal, the monsoons may not be the best season to travel to India. But let there be no misunderstanding on this: the Indian monsoon is one of life's great romantic experiences and indispensible for insight into a very important component of Indian life.
Apr 10th, 2004, 03:02 AM

Babiron: Delhi can be 115 degrees in the summer months AND w/o A/C as we know it in the stores, cabs, etc. Last week alone it was 101. When we were there during monsoons it really was not too bad. Yes, it rained and was humid and hot (mid-high 90's) but it was not so bad that we could not go out and do things on a daily basis. I even played golf (walked 18 holes) and it was OK. However do not expect to cope with the weather like the locals. My B-I-L,s neighbor walked the course with me because he was curious about golf. He walked in long sleeves and long pants and was alot cooler than me! Do you have to go during these mos? Can it wait untill Nov? That is much better.
Apr 11th, 2004, 01:18 AM

Greetings from Delhi. Delhi is very hot in those months, and it is not the type of city where you can so easily step into a A.c place to cool-off, as the hotels are all scattered about, as are the market areas, and not all shops will have working A.c's..As other posters have mentioned, not all taxis will have a/c, but if you request one, YOu can definately get a A.c taxi..A good way to go abobut the city is to hire a a.c taxi for the day, and then you can zipp around from here to there..UHM pollution is a big problem in Delhi, so the clean air oasis is not that readily available, although there are some nice Parks and Gardens,(Lodhi-Nehru, etc)..All this aside, India operates 12 months a year, and i always say to people, whenvever you have a chance to come to India, come!..YOU will survive, just need to plan accordingly..For example, sightseeing in the very early hours, before the sun gets to [email protected], make sure your transport has a.c, drink plenty of water, etc...Also, as another poster has mentioned, the good news of travel in these months, is the great discounts at the luxury hotels,.Rates can be discounted to almost 50% in the summer months if ya know where to look, and these hotels will all have A.c lobbies, resturants, pools, etc..There will be less foreign toursits in India in these months, but more domestic/Indian tourists..Etc..Anyways, happy travels, and do feel free to e-mail me if you have further questions or require some advice ..I am a American woman living in Delhi [email protected]
Apr 11th, 2004, 07:17 AM

To Bonita: Do you have any idea of how often flights bound for Delhi during the winter have to be diverted due to fog? This happened to us before and I would like to know if this is a common occurence. Thanks, Larry.
Apr 13th, 2004, 12:28 AM

In my experience, the problem is more with flights not being able to take off rather than landing, alhtough the latter can happen too. Delays due to fog are extremely common in the winter months in Delhi. If you are scheduled to land after about 10:30 am or before about 4 pm, this should increase your chances of being able to land in Delhi. It is the mornings and the evenings which are the worst. I can tell you a story of trying for 3 days to get out of Delhi on a flight one December. . . .
Apr 13th, 2004, 04:02 AM

It was during the night that we had this problem. Unfortunatley for us most flights to Del. from Chicago are scheduled to land at night. Thanks for the info Cicerone. BTW I believe you are Swiss, correct? I am nuts about Swiss watches and have heard they are quite costly in Switzerland, no discounts. Is that so? Thanks, Larry
Apr 13th, 2004, 04:12 AM

Interesting that you had problems landing late at night. I travelled frequently to India when I lived in Singapore and Hong Kong, and those flights also land in the middle of the night, but even in the winter months we never had a problem with landing, but as mentioned above had numerous problems taking off due to fog. Are you on a United flight? At one point a few years ago United stopped flying into Delhi in the winter months because of fog problems, don't know why they had worse experiences than carriers like Singapore Airlines or Thai.

I am an American now living in Switzerland. I would agree that there aren't any discounts on watches here, and given the strength of the Swiss Franc against the Dollar, the prices keep fluctuating mostly to the disadvantage of people with US Dollars to spend. I actually bought by Swiss watches while living in Hong Kong, after a lot of searching and comparing prices, and found them to be about 25% less than US prices and no sales tax or VAT.

Apr 13th, 2004, 09:00 AM

Actually the flight was KLM and I do recall a United flight being diverted to Mumbai as well as ours for the same reason. Hope some day we can get to HK. We could go to India that way to but we are reluctant to take that long trans Pac. flight. By going via Europe we basically have 2 8 hr. flights with one stop. I hear Air Canada has a fl. now that goes over the pole, about 14 hrs. NS to Del. Cheers and thanks for the info. Larry
Apr 14th, 2004, 07:36 AM
car

As said before I was in India until last week and it was hot but not unbearable, I understand that it gets worst during the next two months.
Heat can be managed if you organize yourself properly.
Light clothes, cotton, loose.
Cover legs and arms during daylight.
Hat not cap.
Drink mainly early in the morning and at sun set. Carry water.But please minimize the drinking during the hot hours of the day. It will make a fat belly and increase your need of more liquid. During the hot hours it is better to drink tea or drop Lemon and sugar in your water. Fresh lime.
Take it easy and try not to be active between 11 AM and 5 PM.