Reload this Page >

Visas for Vietnam and Laos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Natalie

Do you need visas when travelling through Vietnam and Laos (if stay is under 15 days)? If so, how would you reccommend is the best way to obtain them? We don't know the exact dates we'll enter each country which is why we'd like to try get them when we get there, if possible. Thanks, Natalie.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 05:46 AM
pat

You absolutely in need for visa to enter Laos, and it normally takes three days to complete it, unless you pay for the express service for 1 day. It is cheaper if you get the visa in your country before departure. No idea for Viet nam.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Kathie

Yes, you need visas for both VN and Laos. You can get a visa for Laos (US$30 and a passport-size photo) upon arrival if you are flying into Loas at Luang Prabang or Vietienne. There is, I believe, one land border where you can get a visa upon arrival, but generally if you are entering by land, you are better of to get a visa in advance either in your own country, or in another country in SE Asia where you will be spending some time (Bangkok is a popular location to get visas). For some reason, visa on arrival in Laos is less expensive than a visa obtained in your own country.<BR><BR>VietNam is in the process of changing its rules. There is likely to be visa-on-arrival arrangements in some limited way in the future, but for now you are best advised to get a visa in advance in your own country or in Bangkok. VN visas are pricey - sorry, I don't know the exact amount.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Bob

Just got my visa for Vietnam. Cost: $US65. Iwent personally to D.C. filled out the application and they mailed it back to me. The visa is good for 30days!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Joyce

I am going to Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in November '02. My travel agent says all three visas can be bought on arrival.<BR><BR>Vietnam - $70, Cambodia - $20, Laos - $30. She says nothing about photos, but I think they are required.<BR><BR>Visas can be obtained form the embassy in Washington for $65, but you must send the passport and return Fedex form.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:24 PM
pjr

The land border for the Laos visa on arrival is Friendship Bridge near Vietienne. If you want information on Laos visas and are traveling from the US, visit this web site: http://www.laoembassy.com. It tells you where and how to get a visa and what you need. You can also print off the application from the website.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Kathie

Joyce (and others) remember that whether you can get a visa on arrival depends upon your point of entry for all of these countries. VN is a bit more complicated than others. Here's some info off the Thorntree that gives you even more info than you could possibly want on the current visa situation in VN:<BR>from: http:// http://www.vietnamadventures.com/get...here/visa.html <BR>  "Visa on Arrival<BR>This is a bit misleading since you must apply for your visa in advance and receive approval. You obtain the actual visa upon arrival. It costs the same or a little more than getting your visa in advance. We've done it, but try to avoid it when we can as it delays your getting through immigration and confuses the airlines, who prefer to see the visa in your passport. Visa on arrival is most often used by tour operators who simply find it more convenient than monkeying with their clients' passports."<BR>from: http:// www.asiatravel.com/vietnam/visaonarrival.html <BR>  "Details of Vietnam Visa on Arrival Procedure <BR>1. The submission of approval code <BR><BR>We will submit your above requested details to the Immigration Deparment in order to get the approval code that a copy will be forward to you. You will keep this copy and show to the airline staff when you check in at your country airport. This to prove that your Vietnam visa will be stamped in Vietnam on arrival at the airport by the Vietnam Authority and allow you to be on board to Vietnam.<BR>Visa on Arrival Service Price - USD75 / Person"<BR><BR>from: http://www.indochinatour.com/vietnam/visa.html <BR>  "Visa on arrival :<BR>can be obtained on arrival only at the following entry points into Vietnam: 3 International Airports (Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh & Danang). The visa stamping fee is USD 25/pax (paid to Immigration office at the airport upon arrival).<BR>To get the visa on arrival, clients must have an Approval letter from Vietnam Immigration (applied by IndochinaTour.com) ensuring that they will have visa stamped at the arrival airport). 3 days after getting your visa requirement, we will fax the approval letter to you.<BR>The fee for this application and assistance at the airport is :<BR>1-4 pax: USD 55 per person<BR>5-9 pax: USD 40 per person<BR>From 10 pax up: USD 35 per person"