Visa Questions - NY to DPS through HKG and BKK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend is meeting me in Bali and has found that the most reasonable airfare from NY is to fly Cathay to HKG, fly HKG to BKK and then a totally different carrier BKK to Bali all in 2 days. Does he need visa for each of these countries before he leaves and how much time will he need between each flight to get through customs etc????
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:27 PM

Don't need a visa for any of those countries if you're US Citizen going for short stays.

In Hong Kong, you'll only transitting, so you don't go through immigration/customs. Probably the same in BKK, though I'm not familiar with that airport.

Unless you need to stay overnight at a hotel in either place.

But shorter answer - no visa necessary.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

He will need to stay overnight in Bankok, I think. But it sounds like it shouldnt be a problem then. Once the plane lands in either of those places, does it usually take a long time to get off and get out of the airport?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:16 PM

US citizens don't need visa for Hong Kong or for Thailand. He can get his Indonesian "visa on arrival" at Denpasar airport. This is sometimes an efficient process, sometimes not.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

ok, gotcha. Thanks for you help.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:26 PM

If your friend's flying CX through HKG, he/she doesn't need to get out of the airprot. Just go to the transit desk and get up to the departure level. That's it.

Avoid overnight in HKG, unless one wants to see the city. There's only one overpriced hotel near the airport right now. [The new hotels at the soon-to-open Disneyland HK won't be cheap either.] Going to the city is a 20-minute train ride plus connecting shuttle bus.

And you're right. CX's non-stop JFK-HKG arrives around 8pm. There's one flight going to BKK at around 10pm. Pretty late getting into Bangkok, however.

Or fly CX's JFK-YVR-HKG-BKK. That flight leaves New York late at night, and arrives Hong Kong early morning. One should be able to get same day connection to Bangkok and Bali.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:32 PM

Oh, thanks marmot for clarifications. Indonesia did switch from visa-waiver to visa-at-entry in 2003, for US Citizens (and a whole bunch of other countries).
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. rkkwan -thanks for your insight. sadly, because we got a specific deal with amex/cathay - we are limited on which seats they will give us. so while it seems very easy in concept to go from NY to HKG-BKK-DSP it has become a bit of a headache...what i was told when i bought the fare and what i was told after and when i was trying to sort out the details were 2 different things!!! Anyway, this is all very helpful - thanks all!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:05 PM

the visa on entry into bali is for only one or two locations in indonesia...he will not need a visa for either HK or BKK as neither require it for short stays...