Visa for Vietnam and Cambodia

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visa for Vietnam and Cambodia

Suggestions, please for obtaining visas for these countries. Is it just as easy and cheaper to do it yourself thru the consulate offices? I'm not close enough to any to do it in person so it would have to be done by mail. The info I found for Vietnam said to call for prices as they must change them. The fee I found on one site was over $100 - thought that seemed high but then our passport fees aren't much lower. Since this is govenment stuff do they really get the paperwork back to you in six days when they say six days?
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 02:00 AM

I don't know about Vietman, but you can obtain a visa in Cambodia at the airport easily.

Don't forget to take passport size photos with you to Cambodia as they need these to issue your visa. We were not aware of this and we did not have photos with us when we arrived. I supposed it could have been a big problem but the immigration officer just charged us "a little extra" and process our visas. So we got lucky.

Good luck!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 03:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
When I went to VN and Cambodia, you had to get the visas in asvance, you could not do it on arrival so I would check before arriving in Cambodia without one. If you live near a consulate, you can do it in person. I went down to the Burmese Mission in NYC to get mine. It took about a week. I dropped off all the paperwork, photos and payment and went back to pick up the visa. For VN, I sent the paperwork, pics and passports to the VN Embassy in Washington DC and got everything back in about a week. It's cheaper to do it yourself rather than to go through a service. If you end up mailing, be sure to send everything by certified mail, return receipt requested--your passport is too valuable to do it any other way.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 03:17 AM

That's advance!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:53 AM

You can get your Cambodia visa on arrival.

You MUST get your VN visa in advance. I sent mine to the Consulate in San Francisco and it was back in a week (enclose a prepaid return envelope - I used priority mail). The fee a couple of years ago was US$65, but I understand they recently raised it to US$75. (Except that the NYC office charges US$85 since they have it send it to Washington DC)

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:06 PM

i just received my vietnam visa in the mail today...it was very easy and quick...
go online to the vietnam visa website...
find the nearest consulate...download the application, enclose 2 passport photos (even tho the app says one, when i talked to the agent in san fransisco, he said 2 photos) enclose a money order for $65 US for each visa (one entry) and a return express mail envelope with paid postage. wa la
took a week coming from hawaii...that was very fast.

when we went to cambodia last year...we got our visa on arrival...just $$$ and photos needed, minimum 6 months of time
left on your passport and you need 2 blank pages together (big visa)...it was very easy also...

have a great trip
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:05 PM

After reading this post again, I realize that I gave information for getting a visa for BURMA in advance!! We did get our Cambodia visa on arrival as well. A momentary lapse of sanity on my part ;-)
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 08:58 PM

I happened to be inquiring about the same visa's just yesterday. I spoke to the Vietnamese consulate (San Francisco) and was told the fee is $65.00 U.S. with a 2-day turn around. Was told by Cambodian Family Services (no consulate listing available) that there is no Cambodian consulate on West coast of U.S., they advised the internet or calling Washington, D.C. for visa info.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 09:08 PM

Greetings to divediva ~
so where do you like to dive & why in the following countries: Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia.

Much obliged!
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I called both embassies yesterday to check prices and printed the forms. Vietnam fee is $65. and Cambodia is $20. each - much cheaper than the services we found to do it for us. Have to get some new pics and I'm set.