Hotel in Phuket

Search

Hotel in Phuket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Phuket

I will be in Thailand from December 27-January 10th. Bangkok from December 27-January 3rd.Phuket from January 3rd-10th. I will be with a handicapped person this is the reason for the extra time things tend to take longer. My question is she would like to see a pretty beach. Also she would like to stay on the beach. I have never been to Thailand. I have many friends who have been to Phuket and say it is quite nice. But, from looking and doing investigating I get frustrated by all the diferent hotels and areas. I need help!!!! Also do you think I will have a hard time going with a person in a wheelchair? (sometimes mobile just needs it for long distances)
Thanks
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:39 AM

You will hopefully get plenty of advice and ideas but starting from scratch some quick oberservations/notes.

1> Busiest time of year, DO book the Bangkok to Phuket flights as soon as possible. I would recommend using Thai as opposted to other carrier and the budget carriers on the route as Thai uses almmost entirely wide-bodied aircraft on the route, i.e wide-body Airbuses, 747-400's and B 777's, and these aircraft naturally with wide doors etc are much better if one is handicaped. Thai is highly efficient and will arrange wheelchair assistance at both bangkok and Phuket. Another ideas is to go Business Class, it is not too much extra.

2> If you have not traveled to Thailand before rest assured that everyone is very forward and forthcoming to offer assistance without hesitation, people are not 'reserved' but very open.

3> Sidewalks whether Bangkok or Phuket are 'not' wheelchair freindly at all. But transport is readily available and cheap.

4> Now, down to hotel, this not so easy, so many times I have seen people ask the same thing and it is a pity there appear to be few references or attention by hotels to such requirements.

The number of hotels/resorts right on the beach is not as much as people expect as many are across beach raods. There are resorts right on the beach but these tend to be higher end price and more remote.

Before I think anyone can offer hotel ideas we need an idea of budget, it is highest price time of year but we need to know if you are looking for USD 70 or 350!

Also do you want a quiet and remote place that is right on the beach but perhaps not close to restaurants/shopping or do you want 'some' beach but a good pool and reasonably close to places.

I could shoot a straight suggestion and that would be Le Meridien Resort as in it's own cove, perfect beach, very large pools and a highly efficient managed place, although not level access to the resort transport easily available. Access to the beaches at Patong, Kata Karon not good for a wheelchair so if you want a resort with it's own beach but at the same time close to things the Meridien might be worth serious considoration.

Bob recently stayed at the Marriott and although a very quiet area is right on the beach and hopefully the trip was recent and he should no doubt recall how wheelchair friendly it was.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:43 AM

I did not understand the '(sometimes mobile just needs it for long distances)' but have re-read, ok that helps a lot, I still think Meridien would suit, if I get a chance this evening I will check thru as I seem to recall this question asked before and someone came across a hotel many of us knew which had some special rooms, is that a requirement? ( As it could severely restrict choice )

If you want a quick look at the meridien here are some photos, I have known the palce for years and years and as a 'beach' on it's own yet within 5-7 minutes of shopping/restaurants etc I don't think it can easily be beat.
Do note that many 'resorts'(?) are set back far from the beaches and some on hillsides but we can you you those if you come up with any named places that intertest you.

First thing, get those flights booked!

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:45 AM

Sorry, here is that link, I have mentioned and others too how the prices shoot up at that time and Meridien is 'no exception', but until you can give us a budget here goes:-

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/ph...dien/pictures/
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Ok, Just booked the flights.

Thanks for all the advice.

I think on hotels I would like to stay under 200.00 a night. For the Phuket hotels.
We are staying at the Landmark in Bangkok I hope it is ok. She does not need a handicapped room or anything of the sort. Just not a million stairs. She has Cerebral Palsy. Looks perfectly normal. Just tires very easily. I have talked her in to going. So I want to try and make things as easy as possible . I have done a lot of traveling in Europe but never asia. She just got her first passport. Sooo she is nervous. We are a young couple not wealthy we just bought our first home. I am working on my masters in Nursing and she is getting her masters in Social Work.

Thanks Everyone for all the help!!!

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 10:33 AM

I see you have already booked your flights. That's great. I was going to echo JamesA's suggestion that you fly business class on Thai. He is right, it is only about $20 more!!! No lie!! We ALWAYS fly business or first on Thai because the cost is so minimal, when compared to US carriers.

I was going to suggest the Meredian, and then I saw that James had also suggested it. I think it would be a very nice option for you because it is a self-contained resort right on its own stretch of beach. I'm not sure what the prices are going to be at holiday time though.

Enjoy your trip. BKK/Phuket are great places to be during the holidays. I've done it a couple of times myself, and might do it again this December/January.

Carol
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 10:51 AM

As always the more information the better! Ok you need to apprecaite that Phuket hotel rates over that period can be well over 3 times low season, not so much an increase but that 'is' the absolute peak season and that is when they make their money so that low season (now) rates are cheap.
A hotel/resort that costs 150-200 can cost 40 in low season so we need to look at those places that will give good old value for money in the high season.
The Marriott etc will well out price wise but there is a huge abundance of accommodation on Phuket. Karon Beach area has some good value places and it has a benefit to you in that it is flat and is one of the few places where there 'is' recently built several km/couple of miles of fairly decent sidewalk been built next to the beachroad, the beach is long and wide and there is for 99.5% no building on the beach at all, result is lots of beachspace an no clutter, so I think a reasonable hotel across the road from there would suit you as there are restaurant and shops in Karon and if you want a busy night out lively Patong is about 10-15 minutes away. I am suggesting the central area of Karon for flat area and ease of getting about. I lived for a number of years on Phuket so know these areas well and no doubt lots of others will come in with some tips and ideas too for you.

Ok, here's an idea, the Karon Sea Sand Resort, this place I have not stayed but I know it quite well, it has 'Pool Access Rooms' and if necessary has they say 2 Handicapped equiped rooms/bathroom ( if this needed ), it is right across from the beach and only a few minutes walk to shops, restaurants left and right so location wise is good and again, just across the road from the beach. Pool access naturally means ground level so that should help.
Pricewise it's a bargain for that time, showing USD 123 including tax/service and breakfast for best room, i.e Pool access twin. Bookable hotel arranged airport transfer USD 17.50. On the main photo ignore what appears a skyscraper behind as that actually is quite far away. This is 3 star level.

You can see photos for it:

http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...sand/pictures/

The Woraburi is from USD 120-180 region, that is from normal twin to a Junior Suite, this is roughly same area along a bit further south, this plage actually gives a better idea from it's Karon beach Map, the Sea Sand Resort is about half way along left of the Woraburi in the green section. Lots of the hotels furher north in Karon and further south can be hillside or on area where you are much further from the beach than these ones which front the beach road.

Karon is reasonably busy but mainly low rise and the beach is entensive, now, if you wanted perhaps to be is a 'lively' beach area, suits some, does not suit others, Patong beach is the main busy busy location, here again you need to watch location as hotels can be hillside or long walks to the beach, in your circumstances the Duangjitt resort's Garden Bungalows might suit, they are close to the road but are bungalow/cottage style as opposed to rooms in the main building, this is just a few minutes walk the the busy Patong beach. Bungalow for 2 about USD 112 at that time, this would be a good choice if the price appeals and you want to be within walking distance of lots of restaurants, bars, street stalls etc, though be forwarned Patong can get absolutely 'packed', my humble opinion would be stay at Karon and then go in to Patong for an evening, see how you like it, and go again if you do, but for easy access across to the beach in the 120-150 price range either of those Karon ones would suit ( my personal favorite the Old Phuket(new!) has a rooftop pool and that does not appeal to some, tough again worth a look, USD 95 for a Spa deluxe at that time, I actually paid under USD 40 earlier this year, but that shows how the prices change for peak season, if the small Spa on the balcony appeals to you, then bargain value. The Spa 'tub' is quite small but it adds that extra 'fun' to the room, restaurants right outside and as it is a new road ( this was built I guess about 3 years back ) is flat and easy to walk to the beach, though this place lacks a garden, anyway have a look and it builds up your ideas.
From the photos you can get a better idea of Karon beach area itself.

http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...uket/pictures/

Before you ask about nice spa/massage places on Phuket ( as most people are interested ) this is a day Spa in the Patong Hills area that is excellent for massage, spa and relaxation, and well cheap compared to hotel/resort prices. They do a pick-up service too.

http://www.phuket-hideaway.com/patong.day.spa.htm

This was originaly (going back years now) a very local place with expert massage and only in past few years has it adapted a morte 'Spa/trendy' approach, but they still retian some of the best experienced Massage people around. Opened almost 20 years ago, pre all the hotels and resorts joining the 'spa' thing!

That will keep you busy!

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 10:56 AM

Carol, I have just been checking some of the going rates for peak season and the Meridien is really high, I think something like 350 a night! So I have suggested those along the front of Karon Beach Road between Karon Circle and the Hilton Arcadia area as it's flat and easy relaxing walk to and from the beach without Patong crowds. Many of the rates are 3 fold low season prices!
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 11:03 AM

This is photos for Wora Buri, not that this one does not include brekfast ( expensive at almost USD 8 each, but you can find for under half that at places nearby ) which is steep, I had a drink / east there earlier this year, I think perhaps not as good choice as the Sea Sand and also more pricey, but the photos are worth a look to get an idea of the locale.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 11:04 AM

This time I will try and concentrate ( it's 2 am here!)
http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...uket/pictures/
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 12:10 AM

ttt for dlai
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

The flights in Thailand from Bkk-Hkt I did book first class. But, we are also flying from Nrt-Bkk on Thai and those were too expensive to get first.

Thanks again to everyone I am so happy there are people willing to help stupid people like me.

I will most definately be able to pick a hotel now. Also a little spa time also. That is something we have been looking forward too.
Thanks,
Eric