Vietnam Stay (Aurora Travel) Requests Credit Card Copy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of arranging hotels, flights and a visa-on-arrival with Vietnam Stay (also known as Aurora Travel). Today I received their booking summary which requested that I send credit card details along with copies of the front and back of the credit card. I have never heard of this type of request yet have used credit cards many times when arranging international travel. Has anyone had occasion to do this and is it safe? They also suggested that alternatively I could send a bank draft with 50% prepayment and listed their cancellation policy which appears to adhere to normal practice. I have heard nothing but good comments about Aurora Travel from Fodorites but am really uncomfortable with the request for credit card copies which is my preferred payment option. Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 04:53 AM

I had to do this last year when booking with Vietnamstay. I had no problems at all. Many others on this site have also used VietnamStay. The request for cc is not all that uncommon, particularlly when booking in Asia.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:12 AM

this is very common in asia
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Yes, i had to do this as well with vietnamstay.com...No problems.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your vote of confidence in Vietnam Stay. It helps to know others have done this before and had no difficulty. I'll make a decision on how to pay in a day or so but now feel more comfortable with sending the cc info to them. We visited Vietnam 2 1/2 years ago ... independently ... as part of a trip to Thailand and Cambodia. I hadn't used any booking agencies so was a bit taken aback by this request. It helps to know it's a fairly common practice in SE Asia. We're now very much looking forward to a return visit to Vietnam. This time we'll see the Central Highlands with a private guide for two weeks which also includes an invitation to home stay with him and his family during Tet. This site is full of info which I use regularly when planning a trip to an area I haven't visited. Thanks again for your help!

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 04:59 PM

I,also did the credit card front and back. In South Africa I also needed copy of passport. But it seems to be "standard operating procedure" now. No problems when we went or since.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 08:38 PM

We booked hotels in HCM and Siem Reap with Vietnam Stay and they asked for the same. I called Visa about this and they said basically it was not a problem. My dealings with Vietnam Stay have been excellent to date.