Very Beginning Stages of Trip Planning to Vietnam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are just beginning to plan a trip to Vietnam. It is far off, maybe 2 or 3 years. We have to fit in a trip to Paris before we go to Asia. We have never been to Asia before, unless you can count the Asian side of Istanbul. We have wanted to visit Vietnam for some time now. Does anyone have any ideas for brand new travelers to Asia?

Our daughter has flown Cathay Pacific using their AllAsia pass and had a great time. I thought about that, but I think one or maybe two destinations would be enough for us. We fly out of Boston. We are in our mid fifties to early 60's. We travel mid-range accomodations. Prefer unique, boutique to large, corporate.

Thanks for anything.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Why Vietnam? We leave for Vietnam in less than two weeks but have traveled to Thailand (several times), Cambodia, Laos, Bali (Indonesia), Myanmar (Burma), India and Sri Lanka. Some of these places are more tourist-friendly than Vietnam and some are not. What do you enjoy when you travel - museums, shopping, beaches, dining out, historical sites, culture, sports activities? Do you prefer to travel independently or with a group?

One or two destinations is a good way of thinking for Asia. How long were you planning on traveling? For our Vietnam trip, we have 15 days - 3 of which will be in the air (flying from Connecticut) - we are only covering the northern part of the country: Hanoi, Halong Bay and Sapa plus a couple of days in Bangkok, Thailand.

The type of hotels you are looking for can be found anywhere in Asia. Help us to focus on helping you by giving us more info.

Also, I suggest getting a guidebook like Fodors Vietnam and doing some research to gain a better understanding of your destination.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:06 AM

We've been to Asia twice. First trip to Thailand and Cambodia, second trip to Vietnam and Laos. Totally loved both trips. I'm not as well traveled in Asia as many of the folks in this Forum, but if anyone asked me where they should go on their first trip to Asia, I would immediately say Thailand. Go to Bangkok, a city in the north (either Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai) and add a beach destination if you like beaches. I think the only reason I would recommend Vietnam over Thailand is if you said you had a very strong interest in war history. Vietnam is great for that.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Amy

Well, Vietnam was my first country in Asia and I really, really enjoyed it. I was in apartments in Hanoi and HCMC, on a boat in HaLong Bay, and in an "Ancient Lodging House" in between, in HoiAn. To me Vietnam is very...manageable, I guess is the word--and I loved the history and the pho and the art and, well, pretty much everything. My trip report is here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...d-far-away.cfm and the pictures are here: http://travel.webshots.com/album/569832392chwMeC

Unfortunately I can't help much with the lodgings, as this was in 2002 and I'm sure much has changed, but I wanted to give you an idea of what I felt was comfortably doable in about three weeks of time.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great replies. We are interested in Vietnam for different reasons; history, food, culture, people, geography,beaches would be nice, etc. I hope to have at least 2 weeks. I would enjoy a trip such as the one that Amy went on.

I do plan to get books, but always feel that ideas from people who have actually planned trips and taken them are so valuable.

When I fully retire and have more time to travel, I would hope to be able to do more in Asia. I just need to get my feet wet and thought of Vietnam as a country that I have always been interested in.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Look for our trip report when we return but be forewarned that our style of travel is a bit more lux than Amy's.

Craig
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see no reason why you shouldn't start an Asian experience with Vietnam. But, unlike many posters here, I've never been that charmed with Bangkok, which I find too big, too crowded, too polluted, and afflicted with horrible traffic (although the transport options have improved lately). I also found Vietnam very easy to travel in - trains run from Hanoi to Saigon, with stops at the most popular tourist locations (except Hoi An, but you can get a taxi easily from Danang). Or you can fly.

Suggest you spend some time with some guidebooks - try your local library, you don't need them to be up-to-date at this stage. Or settle in at your local bookstore with a cup of coffee. The heavy picture guides are good for this stage, but you might also take a look at Lonely Planet's "Read This First: Asia", or the Rough Guide equivalent.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 03:13 PM

As a person who has travelled widely in US, Australia where I live, Europe and only Singapore and Hong Kong before going to Vietnam I loved it and highly recommend it.My husband and I(both over 60) travelled by train from Saigon to Hanoi with stop offs and stays on the way. Had a farm stay in the Mekong Delta, village stay out of Hanoi(walking through ricefields , watching buffalo having a nightly wash), boat stay on Halong bay-will go back some day. It's the people who draw you back.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Now I'm excited. How did everyone travel? northie did you travel independently or did you have tours arranged for instance for your farm stay. Amy used untours, but they don't do Vietnam any longer. We don't use tours when we travel, but wonder if something along the line of untours is possible. Anyone have any experience with setting up guides or suggest tours such as Halong Bay?

I'll start reading books for now. Thanks all for your replies.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM

We made our arrangements through Tonkin Travel in Hanoi ([email protected]). They have a good reputation on this forum and on others. They will customize a private tour to your needs regardless of your budget, including train or air travel, hotels, Halong Bay cruise, tour guides (not always necessary) and car/driver, if needed. Pricing is quite competitive and they are very responsive. It is best to lay out an itinerary and ask them to price it.

For guides in Hanoi, we are using [email protected] for half day tours - these are high school students that work for free and whose goal is to promote Hanoi.

In Sapa, we are staying about 45 minutes outside as the town has become highly commercialized and we see no need to stay there. Our hotel, Topas Ecolodge offers a variety of guided hikes into local villages and is in a scenic mountain area with great views.

For Halong Bay there are a wide range of cruises available - best to do some research on your own.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Craig. Have a wonderful trip. I look forward to reading your trip report.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
opaldog - Vietnam is a great destination! I used Handspan Tours for my Halong Bay trip in '04, booking with them in the Tamarind Cafe in Hanoi. My TR for my first trip to Vietnam is here: www.wilhelmswords.com/asia2002. The second time I traveled by train the whole way.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 04:56 PM

I traveled VN independently. It gives you much more flexibility and allows you to do and see exactly what you want. You can use an agency like Craig is doing or make arrangments on your own.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 09:09 PM

It's been 8 years since we visited Vietnam and I suppose a few things have changed, but for what it's worth:

1. We're not normally tour pople, but our Asian travel experience to that point being confined to Singapore and a day's drive into Malaysia we opted for a small group tour. We used Travel Indochina, a very experienced Australian company, and had no regrets. The pluses were that We were able to make the most of our limited (19 days) time, we had ample opportunity to chat to our Australian tour leader and two excellent local guides and learn more about Vietnam's history and culture than would have otherwise been possible; and there were plenty of opportunities to take off and explore the cities we visited on our own. The only minus, we thought, was that most inluded meals were taken in safe-option restaurants.

2. The above aside, it soon became apparent that with some good planning Vietnam is not at all a difficult country in which to travel independently. There's the train, as mentioned and you can arrange inexpensive minibus travel through local travel agencies.

3. However you opt to do it, you can hardly do too much prior research, and I second the idea of using, and taking along, a good guide book. Take particular notice of local custom - for instance, as in much of East and SE Asia Asia the inadvisability of displaying anger or raising your voice if you face a problem - this will only cause loss of face on your part and make matters worse. The Vietnamese are a naturally cheerful and courteous people and this should be reciprocated.

4. If you travel independently, get some detailed itineraries used by the tour companies and use them as a guide. I've listed ours at the foot of this message - I'm sure it's in the public domain, so I don't think I'm doing the wrong thing (beside which it's now 8 years old).

5. If you have only two weeks you'll need to ration your destinations. Three will give you the opportunity to sample both the north and south. A few days in Ho Chi Minh City is worthwhile mostly for the opportunity to take side trips to the Mekong Delta - I'm told these can be organised at local travel agencies at short notice and very inexpensively. Dalat I'd give only a day and night to, but Hoi An, Nha Trang and Hue are all worth two or three days each, I thought, Hanoi and surrounds rather more. A side trip to Halong Bay is a must.

6. Among the hotels we stayed at I'd make particular mention of the French-era Grand Hotel at 8 Dong Khoi Street, District 1, HCMC - nice old-world ambience and excellent location.

7. In Hanoi make sure to have a meal at KOTO, opposite the Temple of Literature - this excellent restaurant run by Vietnamese-Australian Jimmy Pham rescues street kids and trains them for work in the hospitalty industry.

APPENDIX: Vietnam itinerary (courtesy Travel Indochina)

For ideas only.

DAY 1: HO CHI MINH CITY
Fly CBR-SYD-SIN-SGN. Arrive, book in, welcome drinks, eat.

DAY 2: HO CHI MINH CITY
Walking tour. Dong Khoi Street, Presidential Palace, War Crimes Museum, plus bus to Cholon (Chinatown).

DAY 3: MEKONG DELTA
My Tho, to islands via longboat, sampan trip to orchards, floating market, lunch, back to Ho Chi Minh City.

DAY 4: TAY NINH & CU CHI
Vietcong tunnels, Cao Dai temple. Lunch, back to Ho Chi Minh City for dinner and nightlife.

DAY 5: DALAT
Drive Northeast of Ho Chi Minh City 6 hours into Central Highlands and Dalat. Stop at floating village of Langa Lake, walk through plantations around Bao Loc. Tour coffee factory. Dalat: check out French colonial buildings, tour Bao Dai’s palace, visit Zen Buddhist monk/artist. Dinner at local restaurant.

DAY 6: DALAT & NHA TRANG
Dalat flower market, cycle or walk around lake. Travel across Ngoan Muc Pass, descend to coast. Stop at Cham towers. Arrive Nha Trang, resort town on South China Sea, late afternoon.

DAY 7: NHA TRANG
Cruise islands, swim, snorkel, massages, seafood lunch. Return to Nha Trang mid afternoon, free time to explore town or swim.

DAY 8: QUI NONH
Free morning in Nha Trang. Lunch, drive North on Highway 1, past coastal scenery around Dai Lanh, walk through villages en route. Arrive Qui Nonh, have dinner, optional video night.

DAY 9: MY LAI - HOI AN
Drive North along coast, stopping at Sa Huynh beach. Around Quang Ngai, visit memorial to My Lai massacre, have picnic lunch. Explore countryside, arrive Hoi An. Cooking class at a restaurant.

DAY 10: HOI AN
Walking tour of historic Hoi An, visit market and riverfront. Free afternoon – explore town, galleries etc. or veg out on beach.

DAY 11: CHINA BEACH, MARBLE MOUNTAINS & HUE
Caves and Buddhist shrines in Marble Mountains. Swim at China Beach, then on to Danang and Cham Museum. Across Hai Van Pass en route to Hue.

DAY 12: HUE
Drive to tomb of Emperor Khai Dinh, on to the Citadel. Afternoon, by dragon boat along Perfume River to Thien Mu pagoda. Evening, royal banquet and traditional music.

DAY 13: HUE – HANOI
Cycle or drive to tomb of Tu Duc, followed by free time. Afternoon, fly to Hanoi (alternative to the overnight
Reunification Express, gives extra night in Hanoi).

DAY 14: HANOI
Old Quarter and “Hanoi Hilton” (former prison). Evening, water puppets performance.

DAY 15: HANOI & HALONG BAY
Ho Chi Minh mausoleum and museum, former President’s Palace, One Pillar Pagoda, Temple of Literature. Lunch then to Halong Bay (150km from Chinese border).

DAY 16: HALONG BAY
Morning: cruise amongst limestone islands, explore caves and grottoes. Afternoon: back to Hanoi, relax.

DAY 17: HOA BINH
Morning: excursion to mountains of Hoa Binh to visit Muong people. Afternoon: back to Hanoi for farewell dinner.

DAY 18: Extra day in Hanoi for Neil and Robyn.

DAY 19: Fly HAN-SIN-SYD-CBR, arrive 'Day 20'.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:41 PM

Flights out of Newark / JFK are much cheaper than from BOS so would suggest taking a shuttle to Newark and a direct flight on Singapore Airlines to Singapore and then one of the discount airlines (Tiger, Air Asia, Jet Star) into Hanoi or HCM. Had heard Thai has discontinued their direct flight from Newark to BKK though that might be an option as well. The direct flights can add as much as a full day to your trip.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 01:21 AM

Lots of ways to get to Vietnam from New England but bottom line is you will need to change planes a couple of times. Use Kayak.com to see most of your options. Keep in mind that flight times change constantly.

Another thought - where you go in Vietnam may depend on what time of year you are going. The weather varies quite a bit from north to south. There are times in the north when the weather can be quite chilly and rainy, for instance.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Wow, I am so impressed by the answers everyone has given me. Thank you all. Neil_Oz, I only wish I could spend as much time. Unfortunately my job does not allow it. I am stretching it to take 2 weeks. I am planning on 15 days. I have so much research and planning to do, but alot of time.

I like the idea of trains, although I will have to map everything and see how long it takes to get from point A to point B. I also will look into using tour companies when I arrive. It is nice to have a contact in the country of your destination, although I have not done that before. We have alot to think about.

Ron: I have looked at the airfares. Cathay Pacific is only slightly more to fly out of Boston over JFK, but the flight time is huge. It is 32 hours back to Boston as opposed to 21 to JFK. We have driven to JFK for flights in the past. We live in Western Mass, so it is doable. The drive home from the airport is a killer, because of jet lag, but the money savings are worth it (in this case time differences). I will look into Singapore out of Newark. I have read good things about Singapore.

Craig: I was thinking about going mid-February. I have to really check the weather more carefully, though. I see that the rainfall is not bad during that month and the temps looked warm. What is everybody's opinion on that? I work in the office of a public high school and it would be easier to get time off when the school is having a vacation, that is another reason for my thinking February.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 06:50 AM

It's likely to be chilly in the north in February.

It might be worth looking at Chicago connections to Tokyo, from either Bradley (if that's closer to you) or Boston. Also look at arrivals at both Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

I'll do that. I can't remember which now, but I did notice that it was less to fly into I think Saigon and out of Ho Chi Minh City. I'd like to do an open jaw and not backtrack. I have lots of time, but I love to plan.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 07:30 AM

I think you meant Hanoi, not Saigon as Saigon = HCMC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -