Victoria Peak Hong Kong Question

Apr 7th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Victoria Peak Hong Kong Question

I am a little confused. Some people say take the tram up to the peak and some say take the bus. Or is it both? I see I would take bus number 15 from Central, but does take me to just the tram or all the way up to the peak?

And is it possible to walk down? I would be willing to walk around 2 miles and have it take about 1-2 hours. Is this possible?

Also is it better to go in the morning and avoid the lines or at dusk time to enjoy the evening views? Hopefully I will be able to do both. Just looking for your opinions.
Apr 7th, 2015, 03:26 PM

You can take the tram to the top or a bus to the top - your choice. And you can walk down if you would like. I've haven't done that, but I have walked the circular path around the Peak - it's a nice walk with lovely views (if the weather is with you). It is my impression that the sir is clearer in the morning.
Apr 7th, 2015, 05:38 PM

Bus 15 goes from Central to the Upper Peak.Tram terminus. Bus 15C is the short shuttle that goes to the lower terminus. Green minibus #1 also.goes to the top.

Walking down is easy. There are several routes, but the shortest (steepest) is Old Peak Road, which starts right to the West of the upper Peak Tram terminus. 30 minutes and you're at the Botanical and Zoological Gardens. 10 more minutes and you're back in the heart of Central. The other routes can bring you to HK University, Pok Fu Lam Reservoir, Aberdeen and more.
Apr 16th, 2015, 07:40 PM

I just noticed this and would advise NOT taking the tram up. It was absolutely packed on a weekday a few weeks ago. Some friends walked up and said it was very strenuous but a fabulous hike. But you can also take a taxi.

Agree that walking down is easy and fun. FWIW, I was underwhelmed by the Peak - the views were terrific but the whole experience (including ending up in a mall) was too touristy for me.
Apr 16th, 2015, 08:05 PM

A big more about the Peak: When we were there a few weeks ago, it was too foggy to go up in the mornings, so we went at around noon, when it was crowded and muggy but the views did not disappoint. Several friends had a better idea and took the bus up for the sunset, staying for the city lights. BTW - don't miss the 8:00 light show from the Kowloon side. You can have a drink in the Intercontinental bar and watch it crowd free.

Other HK recs:
- Chi LIn Nunnery, Nan Lian gardens and tea house.
- Man Mo temple
- Luk Yu teahouse for dim sum
- ferry rides
- Big Buddha (we didn't get there, but colleagues went hiking there and loved it)
- Went to an event at the Peninsula, which is right next to your hotel - lovely and worth seeing
- Boba (bubble tea) in the Victoria Peak mall
- The 8:00 light show from the Kowloon side. You can have a drink in the Intercontinental bar and watch it crowd free.
- The night market sells junk, but it was fun to be out in the warm nights
- Check out events at the Cultural Centre - world class performances
Apr 17th, 2015, 03:01 AM

The Peak is nice. Just make sure you get away from the gazillions of Chinese tourists at the Peak Tower and Peak Galleria. Once you're 100 meters away in any direction, it's quiet and nice.
Apr 17th, 2015, 07:21 AM

I have just seen your list here, crosscheck, and will copy it as it answers my question on the msg thread.
Apr 17th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Les

Another thought:
Ride the escalators up to Mid-Level as far as they go. It's an interesting ride, and the walk up to the peak from the end is not particularly long.
Apr 17th, 2015, 02:34 PM

Les, That's a great idea. I'm sorry we didn't do that. Just stay away from the insanity of the cable cars at midday. More crowded than a ride at Disneyland.