Valentines Day in KL

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valentines Day in KL

Hi, quick question as we're going to be flying into KL on Valentines Day and my wife, being the demanding woman that she is(!) will no doubt want to be taken for a nice Valentines dinner. Does Valentines Day really get celebrated in Asia (I know Valentines Day is named after a Christian saint but it's not exactly a religious day!)? Also does anyone have any good recommendations for a nice, romantic restaurant in KL that will make me look like a good husband?! Many thanks for any help you can give.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 01:49 AM

well.. you MUST go to Luna bar

http://www.pacific-regency.com/dinings.php

We went up outside on the roof terrace instead of by the pool) but both were great.

Trader's hotel lounge for a drink:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/8dk3jy

It couldn't get more romantic. Luna bar was quieter than Traders. dependig on your age you may enjoy the hype more there. The Petronas' view is head on at Trader's and from the side at Luna.

The KL tower has a buffet in their revolving restaurant but I am not sure of the quality of the food.

I hope someone can tell you if that price is worth it, we opted for a spectacular drink venue and nice local upscale restaurant for our last night. (restaurant Bijan at www.bijanrestaurant.com).

I am sure there are many others. Food is tops in Malaysia. We were only in KL for three days so I am not familiar with it all, but we fell in love with this city and entire country.

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Lin. Your recommendations sound very good, especially as we're staying at the Traders so the bar will be easy for us to go to! Bijan also looks lovely.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 06:52 AM

The best restaurant we ate at in KL was Frangipani. The food was wonderful, the service matched it. It's not a place with a view, but the experience was lovely.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Hi

KL has lots of places to eat at, but restaurant at KL Tower wouldnt be top of my list - view is good, but food is so-so...

"Nice" dinner in KL don't necessarily equate to "romantic" dinner - to me, the "best" food is local cuisine and there is a whole variety of food in KL, served in a whole variety of ambience - but most of the great ones would not be served in a romantic restaurant...by that, meaning candlelight dinner, soft lighting, music in the background... it would probably be boisterous, brightly lit, and crowded - a different experience if one is used to the upscale fine dining type of experience. That said, to each his/her own...you can find "local cuisine" served in fine dining style.

Yes, Valentine's Day is celebrated in KL as a commercial event...Sales, Romantic Dinner packages, Holiday getaways, anything to get you to spend... and at marked up prices too!

Check out travel.yahoo,.com, they have a reviewed list of KL restaurants, some I recognize as pretty decent.

Have fun!
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Kathie.. that sure looks like a place I would have liked to have eaten at! gorgeous!

The menu looks amazing.

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 02:58 PM

The food truly was amazing.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM

I will definitely need to keep this one in mind should we ever get back to KL.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Frangipani looks great. We're in KL for 3 nights and as the first is Valentines think we'll go for Bijan then (as seems a shame not to eat Asian food when first arrived in Malaysia) and do Frangipani on one of the other nights.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM

If KL is anywhere near as busy as Bangkok is on Valentines Day, you might have a difficult time finding something available. Bangkok goes ALL OUT for Valentines Day!
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:50 PM

One more restaurant for your consideration - http://www.tamarindrestaurants.com/t...indsprings.php

This is where local hubbies go to impress their wives. Tamarind has everything ... awards, champagne, wine, great Asian food, candlelight ... but the catch, you have to get a good taxi driver who knows the location. It is snug in the forested part of Ampang, KL.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 08:22 PM

<<well.. you MUST go to Luna bar
http://www.pacific-regency.com/dinings.php>>

My God, the Pacific Regency has changed, i spent a year of my life there and I hardly recognised it

Where the Luna bar is located was just a laundry room, gym and swimming pool. The only restaurant was a manky Thai.

Geordie
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 10:16 PM

Wow, traveltwiddle. looks beautiful. On their website it says their shuttle is up and running again.