Restaurants in Singapore

Search

Restaurants in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2015, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Singapore

Hello. We are looking for restaurants in Singapore. As we will be on vacation we are looking for nice dinners. We want atmosphere, good food of course, perhaps a nice view and also would like a recommendation for a nice Indian restaurant and I think there shoild be plenty of them there.

Thank you.

Larry. .
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 06:12 AM

We had an amazing meal at Sky on 57 atop the Marina Bay Sands. Do arrive in time to enjoy a drink on the deck outside the restaurant and watch the sun set over the city as it lights up for the night. This was one of the best dining experiences we've ever had. When we were there, the minimum for food per person was S$80, so it's not cheap. But as you said, you're on vacation .
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 07:52 AM

Our favorite special occasion restaurant in Singapore is Les Amis au Jardin, located in the botanic gardens. Like Craig's recommendation, not cheap, but fabulous food and wine. Look at a map to see exactly where it is, and see if you can get your taxi driver to drop you off at the restaurant. Usually, the taxi driver drops us off at another entrance and we walk through the gardens to the restaurant... no great hardship.

You will find wonderful food everywhere in Singapore. Lots of hawker centers (food courts) have amazing local food, things like pepper crab, which are wonderful (but messy). I don't think I've ever had bad food in Singapore. We always have Indian food at least one meal in Singapore as it is so good there.

Another place I like is Doc Cheng's in the Raffles Hotel. Romantic curtained booths and pan-Asia cuisine and the chance to explore a bit of this historic hotel. There is a small museum in the hotel that I always enjoy visiting.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Actually breakfast is included with the hotel and we would have a casual lunch out so as Craig said hey let's splurge for dinner. Why not! It is vacation.

Kathie Doc Chengs sound great as we can also see a historic hotel as well.

I suppose little India is the place for Indian food and I found a place called The Curry Hut which has rave reviews on TA and looks, well like a hut, unpretentious so we will look into that.
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 11:52 AM

A nice place to sample a lot of Singapore's foods is the Straits restaurant at the Hyatt.

It is like a hawker market, but in a pretty restaurant with air-conditioning!

You pay a flat rate, and get your dishes from the various stalls'. Each one is a different type of cuisine; Indian, Nonya, Chinese, etc. Reservations are usually needed.

My husband isn't a really adventurous eater, so this was the first place I took him in S'pore. He was able to taste everything, and he discovered some favorites he could order when we later went to traditional hawker centers.
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 12:04 PM

Great place for black pepper crab is Jumbo at Dempsey Hill, even my Singaporean friends say it's one of the best places for black pepper crab
Good Hawker food not far from China Town in a Victorian setting Lau Pa Sat

FABULOUS lunch menu , progressive food and a reasonable price ( good for dinner but more expensive) The Tippling Club, I highly recommend this place. Again not far from China Town

Like Craig I too liked the food at Sky on 57' killer views but the service was so so. Drinks at the Lantern Bar ( at the top of the Fullerton BAY hotel ) don't confuse with the Fullerton hotel, fab views of Marina Bay Sands.

Iggys voted one of the best restaurants in the world....

There are a few new places I went to when I went on my 11th visit in September, I'll see if I can dig out the names....
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you lcuy. What is Nonya?

Thank you Smeagol. I appreciate your suggestions.
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 01:18 PM

Nonya is Malay cuisine, delicious....
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 02:33 PM

Let me second lcuy's recommendation of the Straits restaurant in the Hyatt. A wonderful way to sample many of the local cuisines.
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 02:48 PM

The Straits is very good but expensive for what it is (a glorified, air-conditioned hawker market) - lots to choose from and you won't go hungry. Not much atmosphere really but if you have several nights, it is a good option...
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 02:50 PM

Warm morning greetings again to Larry, from our fine home of Singapore. A bit rushed this am, but do wish to second the esteemed Smeagol's suggestion of the Tippling Club. Have always had great times there, with lovely friends and staff.

More later, including some Indian restaurants. Until then, savour your planning,

robert
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. We have one Malay place by us called Penang and I love it.

The Tipplimg club sounds great, certainly worth looking into. S'pore is one place where I would trust the hawkers and stalls.

Robert thanks for taking the time to post and I would appreciate your input. We have 5 nights before our cruise. Our return flight is quite late at about 2240 and as we have to be off the ship by probably 0900 we plan to get a hotel just relax in so perhaps a final dinner out will be in the offing.

Cheers, Larry.
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 01:23 AM

jacketwatch - I read in the other thread that you're staying at Pan Pacific. Rang Mahal at Pan Pacific is my favorite fine-dining Indian restaurant in Singapore. There are countless really good Indian restaurants here, but if you are looking for a place with great service and atmosphere and delicious food, I recommend Rang Mahal. The lunch buffet is a good way to try out many dishes. Do note the dress code of no shorts for guys. I've seen quite a few men donning sarongs, which the restaurant provides when the dress code is not met.
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

That is very good! Thank you. We are looking for a nice atmosphere Indian place and this seems to be perfect and right at our door step too. Maybe I'll wear sarong just for the experience. .

Cheers, Larry
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 06:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
If you are in Little India and need a quick lunch you should consider Madras New Woodlands on Dickson Road, just a few steps off the main drag of Serangoon Road.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...Singapore.html
http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapo...ds_restaurant/

It's south Indian vegetarian style. When I worked in Singapore I chanced upon it once, then brought a Sri Lankan co-worker over for dinner and it became his favorite place in town for years afterward. Many US coworkers I traveled with, who might have avoided a place where they didn't recognize anything on the menu, also enjoyed New Woodlands enough to return time and time again.

It's been there since at least 1985, when I made my first trip, and apparently still going. (I was last there in 2008)

Nothing fancy, just cheap and delicious, or at least it was for years. Hopefully still the same.

Have a great trip.
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Good thought. South Indian restaurants usually have masala dosa which we get a hankering for from time to time. I will look at your link and thanks you.

Larry. .
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 09:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
When my wife and I were there together one of us would usually get the masala dosa and the other the set thali plate, then we could share. Add a mango lassi.

Makes me hungry thinking about it!
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Now you are talking! I love thali plates and my wife likes the dosa. Looks more and more like a plan.

Larry.
Old Apr 19th, 2015, 12:19 AM

Help for Larry !
I had best time in Singapore, Ananda Bhavan- indian restaurant maybe the good choise for u. Info here: http://www.tripadvisor.com.vn/Restau...Singapore.html

Have good time in Singapore !
Old Apr 19th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

OK. Thank you. We have a plan to be there 5 days so it looks like we won't run out of places to try. .

Larry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -