Using DEET

Sep 15th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Using DEET

For mosquite precautions, I think we're all set...have our DEET lotions and will be spraying the clothes with Permethrin (can never be too safe!) But, should we be wearing our DEET lotion everywhere on our trip? I tend to think not, but want your opinions.

To recap: 3 days in Bangkok, 3 days in Siem Reap, 3 days in Chiang Mai, and 4 days on Phi Phi.

I know that we must use, no matter what, in Siem Reap. And would assume DEFINITELY for the entire stay in Chiang Mai, especially since we're staying an hour north of the city in the countryside. But not sure about Bangkok and Phi Phi, since there doesn't seem to be much, if any, malarial risk in either place.

Also, when in SR and CM, are we talking 24 hr/day wearing of DEET? Our hotels have A/C but does that not matter? I get that we need to while touring, but it does seem terribly unromantic to be drenched in the stuff all day, but then again, malaria seems worse.

Thoughts?
Sep 15th, 2006, 04:59 PM

We tend to wear mosquito repellent everywhere...the risk is not only for malaria. Southeast Asia has a lot of Dengue Fever, and this year is predicted to be a very bad year based on previous patterns and cases to date.

You can buy some very effective citronella repellent in Thailand that we've been using for years. I know, not DEET, but I cannot use DEET as it makes my skin blister and peel, itch and hurt, even in the weaker forms. Anyway, if using DEET over a long period of time is worrisome to you, you may want to pick up some local stuff...it's available in just about every grocery and pharmacy and convenience.
Sep 15th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Hi Kim,
I think Bangkok should be fine, No problems Phuket, but don't know about Phi Phi Do you know a brand name in BKK we should look for? Mosquitoes love me, though even in Chiang Mai where they were pretty heavy I was for the most part OK. The Yaang Come Inn had a lot even in Jan but did provide smoking coils outside the room and "zappers" for the room.
Sue
Sep 15th, 2006, 07:04 PM

If you are staying in ac rooms, and if there are not mosquitos in your rooms, you can shower off the deet at night. I've not been bitten by mosquitoes in Bangkok, so I don't wear it in Bangkok. However, I have a little spray can of deet in my waistpack that is always with me, so if I ended up somewhere there were mosquitoes, I'd put it on.
Sep 15th, 2006, 07:16 PM

i never use deet....hate all that stuff....on occasion i will spray my ankles if we are eating outside at nite...in 10 trips we have had no problems...(jan, feb, may, june, oct and nov are the months we have been there)...

i am very careful opening and closing the room outside door however, especially at nite...i do it very quickly and never leave lites on near to windows or anyplace that would attract bugs and never turn on the outside lite if there is one...
Sep 15th, 2006, 09:18 PM

I don't remember the brand of the stuff I bought...but I do remember that it's a white bottle with a green leafy looking label...we saw it everywhere and ended up with a few bottles but left them behind so I can't look at it now.
Sep 16th, 2006, 12:34 AM

I thought I'd be helpful and look at the name of the citronella/lemongrass mosquito repellent that I bought in either Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. Well, sorry, but I can't help. It's almost all in Thai!!

The one I bought is a non-aerosol spray. It says that it's 14% citronella oil and it's 120 ml. That plus "Citronella Mosquito Repellent" is all it says in English.

I was getting bitten and our cooking class instructor used this to spray my legs. It seemed to work pretty well, so I bought some when I saw it.
Sep 16th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Bob, given how cautious you are with food, I'm astounded that you don't use repellant. perhaps you are one of those people who is not appetising to mosquitoes. We certainly needed repellant in Siem Reap and in the Golden Triangle.

The data indictaes that citronella-containing repellants do work, but for relatively short times. Note that there are a couple of new repellants that have been tested, one containing picardin that seems to work fairly well.
Sep 16th, 2006, 10:43 AM

If you hate DEET, try Picaridin. It's just as effective yet is not oily and disgusting like DEET. It does need to be applied more often however. The kind I bought is from Avon and has a pleasant odor and is in an areosol can so it sprays on easily. After I used it and found it worka, I threw out all my DEET.